Ken King; Flames Ownership no longer pursuing new arena in Calgary

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
I know about as much about his connection to Calgary as you do ... which is absolutely ZERO .... just like Oiler owner Katz who lives in Vancouver and LA .... I do have the ability to reason though and I think I am a lot closer to it than you are ....

Katz was a die hard oilers fan who grew up with the boys on the bus his words. Not even close to comparable.

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
In the least Edwards businesses alone will keep him vested here ...

All I am saying is don't be surprised if the city is really going to not shell out the money for a new arena, that he will move the team. I don't see the personal connection between him and the city. He already wants the city to pony up the cash

Reactions: Oilers Propagandist

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
All I am saying is don't be surprised if the city is really going to not shell out the money for a new arena, that he will move the team. I don't see the personal connection between him and the city. He already wants the city to pony up the cash
Because arena building is not profitable for anybody , that is why it needs to be a partnership ... Nenshi knows this but is willing to pony up tax money for an Olympic 16 day party that I believe is less of a benefit to this city than an arena and stadium that will culturally enhance this city for the next thirty years ..... the money is there and it is insulting and hilarious in what this man is getting away with ...

CanCHI

Dec 6, 2015
Because arena building is not profitable for anybody , that is why it needs to be a partnership ... Nenshi knows this but is willing to pony up tax money for an Olympic 16 day party that I believe is less of a benefit to this city than an arena and stadium that will culturally enhance this city for the next thirty years ..... the money is there and it is insulting and hilarious in what this man is getting away with ...

Which one? The elected mayor of the city? Or the businessman who wants tax dollars to build an arena yet moved over seas to avoid those same taxes?

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
Which one? The elected mayor of the city? Or the businessman who wants tax dollars to build an arena yet moved over seas to avoid those same taxes?
He wants to build the arena here , not over seas , and his businesses pay taxes here , not over seas .....

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
edit: personal taxes over 150,000 pounds are lower in the UK so a move to London does save Edwards money....

Last edited:

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Has there been any recent word, or new developments?

My latest recollection is:

CalgaryNEXT is dead.

I forget the details, but Calgary city is not willing to contribute as much as Edwards and King would like, so the Flames are not pursuing any negotiations right now (and this has been since before Nenshi was re-elected)

Quick synopsis with ball park figures would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
How is this the cities fault. Calgary has a large corporate sector. There should be enough money to build the arena if it is for 350 million. But that's not what the flames want, so we are here.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Has there been any recent word, or new developments?

My latest recollection is:

CalgaryNEXT is dead.

I forget the details, but Calgary city is not willing to contribute as much as Edwards and King would like, so the Flames are not pursuing any negotiations right now (and this has been since before Nenshi was re-elected)

Quick synopsis with ball park figures would be appreciated.

Thanks.

The short-ish form

CalgaryNEXT is not 'officially' dead. It's been out on the back burner while the city and Flames look at Victoria Park.

Latest City offer: 555.00 million. Arena to be team owned. Figures include cost of the arena: 500.00 million, land: 30 million and Saddledome demolition: 25 million. 1 third to the paid by the Flames, one third by a ticket surcharge and one third by the city. The city portion to be paid back by the Flames via property tax since it would be team owned.

Flames issue: The ticket surcharge is considered Flames revenue since it applies to the cost of tickets and it's not a tax. Also, property tax is paid from Flames revenue over time so the team would be paying 100% of the cost. Plus they would be paying for the cost of the Saddledome demolition (city asset) and paying for the land which they don't really want per their proposal.

Latest Team offer: 500.00 million. Arena to be owned by the city, hence no property tax and no cost of land factored in. Saddledome demolition not factored in since it's a city owned building and can he used for other non-competing purposes.
Breakdown is team pays about half, but unclear how they pay it. Likely through naming right, ticket surcharge and rent to the city. City pays roughly half and would be paid back via a CRL in the area. Therefore, it's not paid from existing taxes.

City issue: The money collected via the CRL is earmarked for other projects and it wouldn't generate enough to cover what the team wants. Also, the team wants to the city to pay for security at events and fund transit for event dates (might be just for Flames games...not sure there)...

The public flight started after Nenshi unveiled his 'vision' for the East Village/Victoria Park with the arena right before the election got started, while the funding was still outstanding. Team took issue with him bringing the arena into the election so the Flames (and Bettman) respond....by doing the exact same thing.

Political make up is largely unchanged so here we are today.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Flames issue: The ticket surcharge is considered Flames revenue since it applies to the cost of tickets and it's not a tax. Also, property tax is paid from Flames revenue over time so the team would be paying 100% of the cost. Plus they would be paying for the cost of the Saddledome demolition (city asset) and paying for the land which they don't really want per their proposal.

What a completely non-sense argument. Everyone pays property tax. So if the city gave me $100k, they really wouldn't be giving me anything cause they would get it back eventually from taxes I pay. ok there.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
What a completely non-sense argument. Everyone pays property tax. So if the city gave me $100k, they really wouldn't be giving me anything cause they would get it back eventually from taxes I pay. ok there.

This is exactly the reason that the model that all sports leagues want is:

City builds arena
City owns arena
Team 'manages' arena
City pays team to 'manage' arena
Team gets all revenue sources

In other words, the teams want everything. Tell them they can't have it, and they are not happy.

Basically, from what's written above, this is what is agreed on:
The cost will be 550M.

After that, the city offers:
1/3 from city
1/3 from team
1/3 from users (all users, not just hockey, I assume)
And, the team owns it, so they pay property tax

Team offers:
First, city will own. So, all land, demo, etc are not factored in. Immediately, that means:
City pays 50M up front.
After that,
1/2 city
1/2 team
Team contribution is not "Up front" but relies on Naming Rights, etc.... In other words:
City pays it all, and team pays some back over time.

So, the HUGE differences here are:
How much the Flames will pay?
When will they pay it?

I like the city's negotiating stance here.

Last edited:

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
The short-ish form

CalgaryNEXT is not 'officially' dead. It's been out on the back burner while the city and Flames look at Victoria Park.

Latest City offer: 555.00 million. Arena to be team owned. Figures include cost of the arena: 500.00 million, land: 30 million and Saddledome demolition: 25 million. 1 third to the paid by the Flames, one third by a ticket surcharge and one third by the city. The city portion to be paid back by the Flames via property tax since it would be team owned.
In a proposal published in the Globe and Mail (And for some reason NOT reported in Calgary media) the Flames didn't want to pay any property taxes to the city.

(I offered a link to this article earlier in the thread)

It kills me that a group wants to privately fund a $600 project in Seattle yet the poor dears who own the local Flames don't want to pay $550 million or so to build a new arena. I don't blame the city for playing hardball. I don't pay taxes to help billionaires get rich off projects they can easily pay for themselves.

Reactions: Atrusai

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
In a proposal published in the Globe and Mail (And for some reason NOT reported in Calgary media) the Flames didn't want to pay any property taxes to the city.

(I offered a link to this article earlier in the thread)

It kills me that a group wants to privately fund a $600 project in Seattle yet the poor dears who own the local Flames don't want to pay $550 million or so to build a new arena. I don't blame the city for playing hardball. I don't pay taxes to help billionaires get rich off projects they can easily pay for themselves.
Calgary is not comparable to Seattle .... Seattle has three times the population of Calgary ....

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Calgary is not comparable to Seattle .... Seattle has three times the population of Calgary ....
Apples and oranges. I don't think it's a question of comparing city sizes but assessing two different groups' willingness to properly fund a project from which they will be greatly profiting. A private group is funding the Seattle project and not the city itself. Here in Calgary a private group should be fully funding our arena project as well.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I know about as much about his connection to Calgary as you do ... which is absolutely ZERO .... just like Oiler owner Katz who lives in Vancouver and LA .... I do have the ability to reason though and I think I am a lot closer to it than you are ....
Katz is an Oilers fan boy, it is why wackT and Lowe were hired way past their due date. Dont worry about him lol.

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
Apples and oranges. I don't think it's a question of comparing city sizes but assessing two different groups' willingness to properly fund a project from which they will be greatly profiting. A private group is funding the Seattle project and not the city itself. Here in Calgary a private group should be fully funding our arena project as well.
Size does matter ..... Seattle GDP 330 billion .... Seattle metro area - GDP 2016 | Statistic ..... Calgary GDP 115 billion .... Calgary Economic Indicators | Calgary Economic Development ....

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Size does matter ..... Seattle GDP 330 billion .... Seattle metro area - GDP 2016 | Statistic ..... Calgary GDP 115 billion .... Calgary Economic Indicators | Calgary Economic Development ....
In some cases I imagine it does but in terms of hockey I'd suggest that Calgary is the more lucrative and developed market and an arena investment would be more profitable here. If I'm a group looking to build an arena for hockey with private funding I'd look at Calgary. Seattle makes sense if the group is looking to attract both NHL and NBA (Which is what they are probably trying to do).

muddywaters

GO FLAMES GO
Jul 12, 2006
Cedarbrae
In some cases I imagine it does but in terms of hockey I'd suggest that Calgary is the more lucrative and developed market and an arena investment would be more profitable here. If I'm a group looking to build an arena for hockey with private funding I'd look at Calgary. Seattle makes sense if the group is looking to attract both NHL and NBA (Which is what they are probably trying to do).
Size doesn't matter when it comes to cost of building .... Size matters when it comes to generating revenue from ....

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Size doesn't matter when it comes to cost of building .... Size matters when it comes to generating revenue from ....
Not really - revenue is generated when you attract paying customers into your building. Building a fan base contributes to this. In terms of NHL hockey Calgary has the larger fan base right now. Given their revenue and potential profit there the ones who should be paying for their own arena.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Phoenix has like the 10th or 12 biggest metro in the US and how are they doing financially?
th

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010

.... :laugh: pretty much this unfortunately... and have lost, losing weight rapidly just like the meme. In need of a new wardrobe.... Nothing really groovy when your headed towards homelessness having torched your own residence & completely alienated your Landlords.... not unless your a Junky on a Heroin diet, tragically hip...

Last edited:

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
mureay Edwards is just great at bluffing.

Moving the team from
Calgary would cost him hundreds of millions. He’s not that stupid.

Also, it’s not just his decision, it’s the NHLs as they have to approve a relocation/set relocation fee. Good luck getting the other owners to move a profitable venture to some market in the USA that’s going to suck hundreds of millions of dollars before it turns profitable (if it ever does).

Not to mention the Flames get more views on TV per game then the Rangers... or any American team for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad