Prospect Info: Ken Holland's Success With Draft Picks

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm not sure how meaningful those conclusions are. Based on draft position, I don't think ANY team would have prospects jumping straight to the NHL.

Either way, when I think "criticize Ken Holland", the details of what league his prospects came from or whether they were in the AHL for under 3 years aren't the first things that come to mind.

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
Holland's defensemen draft record from 2001-'15 is not very good. Your best pick from that period being E, then followed up with the likes of Quincey, Smith, Jensen.... jeebus

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Okay drafting based on draft position. Really needed to tank somewhere around 2007-2012 in order to re-stock the pipeline.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Holland's defensemen draft record from 2001-'15 is not very good. Your best pick from that period being E, then followed up with the likes of Quincey, Smith, Jensen.... jeebus

Will be fun when Yzerman did pick Seider, and Holland was very disappointed not getting him 3 picks later, and he had to settle with Broberg.

Sometimes things just don't go on your favor, when you are too good (drafting higher than others).

Ken Holland's dilemma has always been being too good GM.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Nick Jensen at pick #150 (bottom of 5th round) is actually a very good pick. He's a third pair D that was able to handle a huge load here in his last season before the trade. Same with Ericsson where he was picked (pre-injury). QUincey in the 4th round was also not a bad pick if Holland hadn't waived him then bought him back for a 1st.

The issues are Ouellet, Sproul, Smith, Kindl and Cholo. (Marchenko gets a pass since he was a 7th rounder).

His early round D picks were either brainless or ball-less or both.

Stevie made the right move in stealing that scout from the Preds. Holland should have done that years ago, but that doen't fit into the country club atmosphere I guess.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I’ve gone through this before but we had very few D-men drafted in the top few rounds for a long time. The results aren’t bad considering. We almost had Edler too.
It was really the failure of Smith+Kindl that threw a wrench into things.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
D+ from me. All the gems seems like they were from Hakan...

And...?

Holland did listen to Håkan.

...and Yzerman goes and listens to Håkan.

Seider, Raymond, Niederbach, Wallinder....

...where does all our future stars come from since Yzerman took charge?

From Europe.

From Håkan. Team Sweden + other extra europeans.

From Håkan, just like Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, Franzen, Ericsson, Filppula, Hudler, Nyquist, Tatar, Hronek, Janmark, Järnkrok, Fischer, Holmström etc. Almost all, against all odds.

Yzerman went and listened to Håkan. Just like Holland did, with lower draft pick heights.

Everything GOOD comes from Håkan, and has come for last 25 years, no matter who the GM is, Holland or Yzerman.

Our North-American drafting sucks. That's what's been wrong for freaking.... 25 years. Those North-American fat asses watching hockey and knowing nothing about scouting have been the problem since early 90's. Yzerman should throw those guys out and let Håkan operate the whole show through videos, if he likes to live at Europe.

Hope Kris Draper is the answer. If we get the North-American drafting going, we'll become instant contender, because Håkan is still breaking the bank. But we need 2 continents to be successful.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad