Ken Dryden on the Lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.

myrocketsgotcracked

Wetcoaster said:
The problem is that there is not much of an argument in favour of a cap and all sorts of arguments against it. Also the NFLPA has indicated that they are not prepared to renew the cap at the end of the 2006 season.

I have made the following points variously in a number of threads over the past while. I am trying to bring them together in some semblance of order. The post is kind of long but please bear with me as this is a rather complicated subject. If you do not like long posts - DO NOT READ FURTHER!!!!

The problem Bettman has is that instituting a real salary cap starts with complete disclosure of revenues which is completely foreign to how the NHL owners operate. That is why every time a luxury tax or revenue sharing is mentioned Bettman acts like a deer caught in the headlights - like a cap, a luxury tax and revenue sharing would require financial disclosure.

What Bettman and the owners are trying to do is set an artificial cap level (proposed at $31 million) without first going through and proving what the total league revenues actually are upon which a cap would be based. The NFL, NBA and even MLB have disclosed revenues to the respective player associations - but not the NHL owners. The best we get is a work of fiction by Arthur Levitt, the guy who was supposed to ride herd on the the SU Securities and Exchange Commission and protect consumers - on his watch you has Enron and World.com.

so let me get this straight, its the owners job to disclose their info to the players now? if they players dont trust the owners, they wont trust the revenue the owners "prove" to have (its easy to manipulate numbers). the owners got levitt to do it, but did the players believe him? they attack levitt's professionalism yet sit back and do nothing. why dont they get off their butt and find their own guy to look over the owner's book? what are they afraid of? if they owners said no, then the players have a case. another thing, base on what can you call levitt's research "a work of fiction", i will request you (nicely) to provide evidence supporting that claim.

shnagle

Apr 27, 2003
NYC
Visit site
SuperKarateMonkey said:
so let me get this straight, its the owners job to disclose their info to the players now? if they players dont trust the owners, they wont trust the revenue the owners "prove" to have (its easy to manipulate numbers). the owners got levitt to do it, but did the players believe him? they attack levitt's professionalism yet sit back and do nothing. why dont they get off their butt and find their own guy to look over the owner's book? what are they afraid of? if they owners said no, then the players have a case. another thing, base on what can you call levitt's research "a work of fiction", i will request you (nicely) to provide evidence supporting that claim.
Here is a great link about the Levitt report. I think stating that it's pure fiction is over the top but there are certainly some valid questions raised in this article.

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2004/03/reading_compreh.html

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Wetcoaster said:
Mark Witting in his extremely detailed study of salary caps has concluded a number of things. If a cap is in place there is less of a gap between the "haves and "have nots" and the wealth distribution is more even. That is not surprising since that is the starting point for a salary cap.

However he found that in the NFL the competitive balance difference pre- and post cap was negligible and had done nothing for league wide parity.

In the NBA the cap was instituted (according to the league) to protect smaller market teams and increase their competitiveness. It has not worked as in 18 years the 4 largest markets have won 14 titles while in the previous 18 years (pre-cap) the 4 largest market team only won 5 titles.

He finds that baseball with no salary cap has excellent competitive balance across the league and that the NHL has been its most competitive in the last 20 years looking at each decade since 1926-27.

After his detailed calculations and analysis he concludes:

"The two leagues (NHL and MLB) without caps and significant revenue sharing seem to produce more balanced competition than the leagues with cost-of-labour restrictions over the last 8 years. In addition, we saw that the restrictions did little if anything to improve competition in the NFL and may have actually hurt the NBA's pursuit of parity."

How about player salaries? He found as follows:
"Just like in un-capped sports, salary caps don't strongly influence the escalation of player salaries. Players perceived as stars are being paid tremendous sums in all four sports (hockey least of all) while the salaries and job status of the low end and mid range players are adjusted to compensate."

How about the effect of salary caps in rebuilding a team:
"(NFL) teams are often encumbered with "dead money", payable to players no longer on the roster but still counting against the cap. Teams with significant dead money can't afford to sign as many experienced/quality players and suffer for it. The descent into salary cap hell is often caused by a team doing everything possible to win in one season by knowingly compromising the future. The team and fans are then forced to pay for a short period of prosperity with what can be a long stretch of mediocrity or worse. This peculiar phenomenon is not found in baseball or hockey, although it is appearing occasionally in the NBA."
[/QUOTE]

Lots of misleadsing information here, but I'm going to stick with what's, IMO, the most egregious, namely Whiting's comments about competitive balance, particurlarly in MLB. I'm not sure what he bases his comments on, but it's certainly not facts.
In baseball, eight teams make the playoffs each year. That obviously would mean 80 playoff slots over the past 10 years. In the last decade, 20 of those 80 slots have been held by just two teams, the Yankees and the Braves. Read that slowly - a full quarter of all the playoff spots have belonged to two teams. Another 21 slots have been filled by just four teams (Boston, Seattle, Cleveland and Houston). So, in other words, over the past decade six teams out of 30 have had a hold on more than half the league's playoff spots. In the meantime, 11 teams - more than a third of the league - have made one or fewer playoff appearances in the past decade. Eight teams have not made a single playoff appearance. This is balance?

On the other hand, in the NFL all but two teams have appeared in the playoffs since 1995. On of those teams, Houston, is an expansion club not in existence for seven of those years and really should not count for this comparison. Of the 32 teams, 23 have made three or more playoff appearances. 17 of them have made four or more. While the fact more spots are available somewhat contributes to this, it certainly doesn't explain it all. Simply put, there is more balance in the NFL.

As for the "Dead money" issue, it's not really an issue. Each team has a right to pursue a championship by the means they chose. If they chose to go that route and suffer the consequences later, so be it. It's their choice.

eye

Feb 17, 2003
around the 49th para
Visit site
I'd like to see the players accept the owners framework for negotiation on a 5 year trial basis. They have had their own way now for the last dozen years and while the players have done very well for themselves - the game hasn't which hurts all fans and the NHL.. There needs to be a correction.

The NHL needs a cap system more than any other sport and it's time the players at least kept an open mind and a willingness to try it. Add conditions to it or whatever. "Nothing ventured - Nothing gained".

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Wetcoaster said:
However although the NFL supposedly has a hard cap M.J. Duberstein, who is research director for the National Football League Players Association, told USA Today "If you total up the actual dollars paid to players since the cap came in with the 1994 season, the total is $2 billion greater than the sum of all the salary caps."

How much of that is actually being accounted for in future years (ie signing bonus spread out over multiple years)? That money would have been paid and will be accounted for in time, its not money that has slipped the system.

After his detailed calculations and analysis he concludes:

"The two leagues (NHL and MLB) without caps and significant revenue sharing seem to produce more balanced competition than the leagues with cost-of-labour restrictions over the last 8 years. In addition, we saw that the restrictions did little if anything to improve competition in the NFL and may have actually hurt the NBA's pursuit of parity."

And yet he found

The combination of a properly designed salary cap (or tax) with free agency is the best instrument through which leagues can fairly distribute player talent to establish a level playing field in the games viewed by fans.
NOTE: this also include a floor and a 35-40% revenue sharing arrangements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad