Ken Dryden at the Liberals Convention Montreal Dec 2006

chooch*

Just to acknowledge what a great speech he gave last Friday night - electrifying the country. By the end of the convention, when it was clear he was out of the running for leadership (and in which country has a former pro hockey player come this close to being the leader?), the crowd was chanting his name and he paused and noted that it was like old times for him in Montreal with a large cheering crowd again.

I remember him in Montreal 71 first game I ever saw sitting in the end high up (anyone recall those seats with the white railings high up and steep).

Great Canadian; great guy and here's hoping one day he's a cabinet minister again if the party wins.

Pretty good for a former hockey player.

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
I was surprised learning that his French remains fairly poor.

anyhow, a better MP than Leafs CEO. I wonder if he ever hangs with Senator Mahovolich?

Ogopogo*

Just to acknowledge what a great speech he gave last Friday night - electrifying the country. By the end of the convention, when it was clear he was out of the running for leadership (and in which country has a former pro hockey player come this close to being the leader?), the crowd was chanting his name and he paused and noted that it was like old times for him in Montreal with a large cheering crowd again.

I remember him in Montreal 71 first game I ever saw sitting in the end high up (anyone recall those seats with the white railings high up and steep).

Great Canadian; great guy and here's hoping one day he's a cabinet minister again if the party wins.

Pretty good for a former hockey player.

Electrifying the country? I don't think anybody outside of Montreal even cared enough to listen to the speech.

Here's to a Dryden's party not winning for a long, long time.

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
If it was anything like the Dryden speeches that I have heard in the past what I think he meant to say was that it electrified the audience with poor metaphors and long-winded analogies. Now he is obviously a very smart man but he does not translate that intelligence into political skills very well. He truly does put the long into long-winded.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
If it was anything like the Dryden speeches that I have heard in the past what I think he meant to say was that it electrified the audience with poor metaphors and long-winded analogies. Now he is obviously a very smart man but he does not translate that intelligence into political skills very well. He truly does put the long into long-winded.
He seems to have been made aware of that. He spoke quite well,imo. Plus, I think his French has improved quite a bit. I'd guess that he has only been using it over the last year or so, as what opportunity would he have had from 1980 until recently ?

PK*

I was at the convention and the consensus was Dryden had the best speech. Better than Dion being cut off when he was about to deliver his punch line, Ignatieff lecturing the audience and Rae somehow forgetting to speak French.

Anyhow, Dryden is a great asset for the Liberals. A great MP, very good cabinet minister, but I don't see him as being Prime Ministerable. IMO there were only 2 of them in the field and they ended up going head to head in the final ballot.

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
But you have to admit, Dryden is at a disadvantage campaining in Montreal. The East is very tough and he is up against very strong competition. He's going to beat himself up and he'll likely be too tired to deliver the final punch and lead his party to victory.

If he was smart, he'd move out West where there is no competition, beat up on all the weak polititions, win a seat in Parlimant, and cruise to to party victory. He could start his own dynasty and lead the nation for the next decade.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
But you have to admit, Dryden is at a disadvantage campaining in Montreal. The East is very tough and he is up against very strong competition. He's going to beat himself up and he'll likely be too tired to deliver the final punch and lead his party to victory.

If he was smart, he'd move out West where there is no competition, beat up on all the weak polititions, win a seat in Parlimant, and cruise to to party victory. He could start his own dynasty and lead the nation for the next decade.

:biglaugh: He could also hire Dave Semenko as his campaign manager/bodyguard.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site

So, you're saying that every time he won an election he'd whoop it up ? An Eastern politician doesn't have to win by as high a %, he stops campaigning after he's up a few points.

chooch*

So, you're saying that every time he won an election he'd whoop it up ? An Eastern politician doesn't have to win by as high a %, he stops campaigning after he's up a few points.

He'd move to the US at 28, become a citizen and come back once a year to Canada to cynically film political commercials. They'd still erect a statute in some dead town in his honour.

ps. St Laurent is my home town and there is a fine statute of Kenny in Place Vertu;)

Dec 1, 2006
British Columbia
Electrifying the country? I don't think anybody outside of Montreal even cared enough to listen to the speech.

Here's to a Dryden's party not winning for a long, long time.

I didnt pay any attention to their leadership race. I wasn't electrified, great speach, wrong party.

What does the Liberal convention have to do with the history of hockey? other then Dryden being a former NHLer?

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
I was surprised learning that his French remains fairly poor.

anyhow, a better MP than Leafs CEO. I wonder if he ever hangs with Senator Mahovolich?

I was at the Convention and Ken's speech was well-received. As for the leadership race, Senator Mahovlich was a staunch Dryden supporter from the start. He stuck with him until the latter finished last on the second ballot, and both of them joined Rae.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->