Kelly Cup Playoff Predictions Thread

ADK34

Feb 1, 2016
Glens Falls, NY
Here are my predictions for the conference quarterfinals (In Bold)

#1 Toledo vs #8 Reading
#2 South Carolina vs #7 Kalamazoo
#3 Manchester vs #6 Adirondack (Not just because I like the thunder!)
#4 Florida vs #5 Wheeling

#1 Missouri vs #8 Quad City
#2 Fort Wayne vs #7 Cincinnati
#3 Colorado vs #6 Utah
#4 Allen vs #5 Idaho

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Toledo over Reading in 5 (Toledo is the best team I've seen all year besides Missouri)
SC over K'zoo in 5 (Even though SC's parent is in AHL playoffs, they're good)
Adirondack over Manchester in 7 (ADK going to be helped by reinforcements from Stockton, which is missing playoffs)
Florida over Wheeling in 6 (I like Florida's team, and expecting reinforcements from Charlotte)

Missouri over Quad City in 4 (MO is that good)
Fort Wayne over Cincinnati in 7 (would pick CIN, but Fort Wayne just got a ton of reinforcements from AHL while both teams that stock CIN are in the AHL playoffs)
Utah over Colorado in 7 (Tempted to pick CO here, but they've overachieved)
Allen over Idaho in 5 (Allen is the 2nd best team in the west. Will be even better if San Jose misses AHL playoffs).

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Kalamazoo is in great form. I wonder if they are out of gas though. South Carolina for a top team has been in great form for 2-3 months. I feel like Toledo sort of cooled down in the 2nd half. So did Florida. Florida lucks out though because I can't say Wheeling has been in amazing form.

I'll take Toledo, SC, Manchester and Florida in the East. Won't do the West because I haven't seen them at all.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
The league got pretty fortunate, at least in the West, without any really crazy travel in the first round. MO-QC are a pretty reasonable drive, FW-CIN are so close, they could have a home-and-home series (but won't), and Colorado is Utah's closest opponent. Allen-Idaho is really the one series with a lot of travel in the first round.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Cyclones could surprise from the #7 seed IF goalie Brad Thiessen plays. He's on the playoff list and I think he'll play, but I won't know for sure until Friday's game.

Thiessen playted 1113 minutes in the ECHL and 1231 minutes in the AHL. 1440 minutes are needed to qualify for lead leader standings.

In the AHL with Lake Erie, Thiessen posted a goals against of 1.95 (would have ranked 2nd in AHL) and a save % of 92.9 (would've been 3rd in AHL). His stats were far better than Joonas Korpisalo of Lake Erie who went on to play very well for the Columbus Blue Jackets this season.

In the ECHL, Thiessen had a gaa of 1.89 and a save % of 93.4. Both of these numbers would have been the best in the ECHL.

The Cyclones have the league leader (tied) for goals in Jack Downing (32). They have the power plays goal leader in Nick Huard (15). Andrew Yogan is a stud who is better than either of them-he split time between the E and the A. Tommy Mele is a great all around player who had 27 goals. Colin Mulvey is an excellent offensive player who had 19 goals. Zack Budish slumped at the end of the year, but still finished with 58 points (24 goals). Joe Pendenza is eligible (he's still up with Milwaukee)-he had 10 goals in 21 games.

The other forwards, Gracel(15), Quenville(11), Wilson(11) and Minella(14) can also score. Only Seth Ambroz (4) is offensively challenged.

The Cyclones were winning with Thiessen was in net (10-4-4). They were very mediocre without him.

If the Cyclones can play reasonable team defense and Thiessen is in form, then watch out! I'm not that familiar with the rest of the league this year, but I'm more optimistic about this Cyclones team's chances in the playoffs than any other except 2008 (KC champs) and 2014 (KC finalists). This includes the 2010 team which ended up winning the Cup.

Go Cyclones!

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Fort Wayne over Cincinnati in 7 (would pick CIN, but Fort Wayne just got a ton of reinforcements from AHL while both teams that stock CIN are in the AHL playoffs)

The Cyclones were very fortunate in that 2 of their 3 most important players (goalie Thiessen and forward Yogan) who spent a lot of time in the AHL are back for the playoffs. Only forward Joe Pendenza isn't in town, but he's eligible and could be sent back at some point. The Cyclones aren't missing any other players who would be eligible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad