Keith Yandle - WJC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Yandle is currently leading the Q d-men in scoring with 30 points in 22 games and leads the league by quite a wide margin with a +27. What are his chances of making the WJC team and if so, who gets bumped from others considered?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Yandle has a great chance of being selected. He looked very good at the camp of the summer and has done nothing to discredit himself with his play this year. I guess the main issue is the depth the U.S. will have at defense at the WJC's this year. Here's who I see as definates:

1) Jack Johnson
2) Brian Lee
3) Nate Hagemo (if healthy)

That leaves four to five other spots. Here's who will probably be considered:

Mike Sauer
Taylor Chorney
Matt Lashoff
A.J. Thelen
Keith Yandle
Chris Butler
Matt Niskanen
Mike Brennan
Erik Johnson

I would think Yandle has a good shot out of this group.

Last edited:

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
Hagemo has been on the shelf basically the whole season for the Gophers. I highly doubt: 1) the U.S. would want him, with all his rust, playing his first games of the season. 2) MN and Hagemo himself would want to jeopardize potentially playing the second half of his college season by playing for Team USA.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
I don't know if I'd call Yandle a lock. Maybe I don't know enough about him. I know he's a +27 but how is he in his own end? Another poster brought up a good point about Hagemo. If he's not ready soon is the US going to take a chance on him? He's a solid player but I think that they have enough options where they don't have to bank on him.

I see the defense looking like this:

Nate Hagemo (if he gets healthy and playing soon)
Brian Lee
Jack Johnson
Matt Lashoff
Taylor Chorney
Keith Yandle
Mike Brennan
Erik Johnson

I was hoping Thelan would have stepped it up but it doesn't look like it. I don't know much about Sauer, if he's healthy and he's mean I'd take him.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
I don't know if I'd call Yandle a lock. Maybe I don't know enough about him. I know he's a +27 but how is he in his own end? Another poster brought up a good point about Hagemo. If he's not ready soon is the US going to take a chance on him? He's a solid player but I think that they have enough options where they don't have to bank on him.

I see the defense looking like this:

Nate Hagemo (if he gets healthy and playing soon)
Brian Lee
Jack Johnson
Matt Lashoff
Taylor Chorney
Keith Yandle
Mike Brennan
Erik Johnson

I was hoping Thelan would have stepped it up but it doesn't look like it. I don't know much about Sauer, if he's healthy and he's mean I'd take him.

I'm getting a mixed read on Thelen. His +/- would suggest he isn't doing well in his own zone, but isn't Prince Albert a pretty weak team? I know guys like Chipchura are on record as saying he's played well and has been a great addition to the team, so perhaps the U.S. brass is looking beyond the surface?

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I'm getting a mixed read on Thelen. His +/- would suggest he isn't doing well in his own zone, but isn't Prince Albert a pretty weak team? I know guys like Chipchura are on record as saying he's played well and has been a great addition to the team, so perhaps the U.S. brass is looking beyond the surface?

Ranger, what are your thoughts on Hagemo's health? Did he have surgery? I'd love to see him on the WJC team but if he's not 100% I think they should take someone else.

Also, does anyone have any idea when the team will be announced? I heard that they are announcing the whole team at once this year but how much longer can they wait?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
Ranger, what are your thoughts on Hagemo's health? Did he have surgery? I'd love to see him on the WJC team but if he's not 100% I think they should take someone else.

Also, does anyone have any idea when the team will be announced? I heard that they are announcing the whole team at once this year but how much longer can they wait?

Personally, I don't think Hagemo will be on the team. Even if he's back on the ice he'll be extremely rusty, which is NOT what you want in a high-intensity tournament like the WJC's. I think the same might apply to Mike Sauer, hasn't he been out quite some time as well? I think the defense will look like this:

Jack Johnson
Brian Lee
Keith Yandle
A.J. Thelen
Matt Lashoff
Taylor Chorney
Mike Brennan
Chris Butler

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Rabid Ranger said:
Personally, I don't think Hagemo will be on the team. Even if he's back on the ice he'll be extremely rusty, which is NOT what you want in a high-intensity tournament like the WJC's. I think the same might apply to Mike Sauer, hasn't he been out quite some time as well? I think the defense will look like this:

Jack Johnson
Brian Lee
Keith Yandle
A.J. Thelen
Matt Lashoff
Taylor Chorney
Mike Brennan
Chris Butler

sauer and hagemo would be locks on this team if healthy, but that is in jeopardy. i think sauer will be ready by then, and i see him and not hagemo ready for the tourney. most of you guys didnt even have e. johnson on this team. i know he is young, but c'mon. my group would look like this:

jack johnson
erik johnson
matt lashoff
michael sauer
taylor chorney slim choice over matt niskanen
mark mitera
brian lee

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
AmericanDream said:
sauer and hagemo would be locks on this team if healthy, but that is in jeopardy. i think sauer will be ready by then, and i see him and not hagemo ready for the tourney. most of you guys didnt even have e. johnson on this team. i know he is young, but c'mon. my group would look like this:

jack johnson
erik johnson
matt lashoff
michael sauer
mark mitera
brian lee

What do you mean c'mon? I'm looking to ice the group I think has the best chance of succeeding. My choices are just as good as yours. I just think that Sauer and Hagemo will be unlikely do to health/rust issues, Erik Johnson is a bit young, and Mitera is interchangeable with Brennan. Chris Butler might seem like a reach, but he is extremely solid in his own end and is having a fine year.

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
What do you mean c'mon? I'm looking to ice the group I think has the best chance of succeeding. My choices are just as good as yours. I just think that Sauer and Hagemo will be unlikely do to health/rust issues, Erik Johnson is a bit young, and Mitera is interchangeable with Brennan. Chris Butler might seem like a reach, but he is extremely solid in his own end and is having a fine year.

I threw in Erik Johnson because a lot of people are high on him. I haven't seen him this year but I wouldn't mind if he didn't make it. I really think the Lee move was a mistake last year and I don't want them to repeat it.

I think Brennan is more comparable to Hagemo. I think Hagemo is slightly better offensively but I see them as almost the same player. Brennan - 5'11" 190 (last years stats -40GP 2G 6A) Hagemo - 5'11" 180 (last years stats -30GP 2G 8A) Both are solid dmen and have shown leadership skills.

I think Mitera has a shot because he's playing well this year and he's a big physical defensemen who is stay at home.

I don't know enough about Chris Butler. His numbers at Denver look solid though.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Spectacular_Bid said:
I threw in Erik Johnson because a lot of people are high on him. I haven't seen him this year but I wouldn't mind if he didn't make it. I really think the Lee move was a mistake last year and I don't want them to repeat it.

I think Brennan is more comparable to Hagemo. I think Hagemo is slightly better offensively but I see them as almost the same player. Brennan - 5'11" 190 (last years stats -40GP 2G 6A) Hagemo - 5'11" 180 (last years stats -30GP 2G 8A) Both are solid dmen and have shown leadership skills.

I think Mitera has a shot because he's playing well this year and he's a big physical defensemen who is stay at home.

I don't know enough about Chris Butler. His numbers at Denver look solid though.

I think the bottomline is the U.S. brass has a wealth of quality defensemen to pick from. Look at the bright side...no Jeff Likens this year!

Spectacular_Bid

Mar 22, 2004
Rabid Ranger said:
I think the bottomline is the U.S. brass has a wealth of quality defensemen to pick from. Look at the bright side...no Jeff Likens this year!

Amen to that!!! I wish they would just hurry up and announce the team.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Alberta Yote said:
Yandle is currently leading the Q d-men in scoring with 30 points in 22 games and leads the league by quite a wide margin with a +27. What are his chances of making the WJC team and if so, who gets bumped from others considered?

Carle also has 30 pts.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
AmericanDream said:

jack johnson
erik johnson
matt lashoff
michael sauer
mark mitera
brian lee

So you're leaving Yandle off completely? And not even your first choice not to make it.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Alberta Yote said:
So you're leaving Yandle off completely? And not even your first choice not to make it.

I havent seen enough on Yandle to really make that choice, what I have read and seen has been very positive. point totals dont always make someone more desirable then the next, but I will agree that his numbers are impressive. I also feel that the US still seems to have their heads up their rears when it comes to picking kids from the CHL, they just dont do it that often. If Yandle was heads and shoulders better then kids from the NCAA I would definitely put him there, but if he is on the same level as any NCAA player, they will take that NCAA kid 10 out of 10 times. We will see in a few weeks.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Rabid Ranger said:

I never said your picks were bad, you are correct that we have most of the same guys on our teams. I just cant see how picking Chris Butler and Mike Brennan over Erik Johnson makes this team better??? I really dont get that. Yes EJ is young, but I am tired of hearing about the age thing, everyone is different, they all dont follow the same rule. Sid Crosby is a young guy in the NHL, does that mean he shouldnt be playing with Mario Lemieux who is almost 20 years older? This group will be a great group of d-men with about 10-12 solid players that are in the running.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad