GDT: Keith Kinkaid and Taylor Hall vs. Carolina Hurricanes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
These are the growing pains of a young team, we're going up against other teams fighting for their lives too, goals aren't easy to come by this time of year down the stretch.

Yup. Just gotta hope they can respond. I’m looking at it as a test. If they’re truly capable of being a playoff team, these past two games will serve them well in the long run and will be a bump in the road. The flip side is that they’re going to slide heavily.

Reactions: JK3

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I don't get why they can't see that they've gotten more than anybody would've ever expected with Boyle and and this point you are harming him and the team by having him out there. It's like they want to take this nice story and good feelings and make sure it ends on a sour note.
I'm not saying we should scratch him, since he hasn't been terrible, but he adds no offense at all.

I think he has like 2 or 3 points in the calendar year, with one goal in his last 23 games.

That's fine, we don't need him to score, but we also need guys who have a better chance at scoring to be playing on the power play or 6 on 5 instead of him. Isn't the team good enough now that we don't need Sergey Kalinin types on the power play? Or Zajac playing with Hall (like tonight and that shouldn't be an option anymore) anymore?

Reactions: Whaddagoal

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
Kinkaid really masked what a lousy game this was on their part. If we have kinkaid from 3 weeks ago playing, devils are probably down 3 - 0 twenty minutes into the game. I do agree that it’s a shame they wasted a real solid performance from him but our team is getting outworked right now.

i dont care about kinkaid from 3 weeks ago. i was replying to the fact someone said the devils did not play well enough to win either game. that is a discredit to kinkaid because he played extremely well and gave his team a chance to win. even when they didnt deserve to.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
i dont care about kinkaid from 3 weeks ago. i was replying to the fact someone said the devils did not play well enough to win either game. that is a discredit to kinkaid because he played extremely well and gave his team a chance to win. even when they didnt deserve to.
I think he played well enough to win, but I don't think we did.

Sadly and I'm not trying to shit on Kinkaid, but I think he won a few games this year where he didn't really play all that good, so he might be due to lose a few games where he plays very well, to even out those percentages a bit. I think this game and the Sharks game (maybe the St Louis game, but he wasn't good in the shootout) were games where he played well enough to win, but he lost.

And I remember saying early on that I'm surprised he didn't have more 1-2 goal against games just to level out the percentages and he has recently. And Cory is definitely due for a game where he allows fewer than 3 goals, even if it's on complete accident and he gets bailed out by 3 posts while doing it.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York

How is saying the team didn’t play well enough to win a discredit to kinkaid? They absolutely didn’t no matter how much of a chance kinkaid gave them but that doesn’t take anything away from him at all. My point about kinkaid from 3 weeks ago is that if they got average goaltending tonight, they probably get their doors blown off. I just don’t think this was a close game in any sense. 10+ strong minutes in the third period doesn’t mean squat or change anything.

Reactions: Bleedred

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
We scored more when slow veterans weren't over used because of some mythical face off prowess.

This staff has coached us into so many losses. Took them over a month to realize Boyle and Zajac on the same PP unit was a f***ing disaster.

And since Dec 14 we havent had just a single loss, it's just been a pattern of winning streak, losing streak, winning streak, longer losing streak, two game winning streak, longer losing streak, winning streak, losing streak.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
We scored more when slow veterans weren't over used because of some mythical face off prowess.

This staff has coached us into so many losses. Took them over a month to realize Boyle and Zajac on the same PP unit was a ****ing disaster.

And since Dec 14 we havent had just a single loss, it's just been a pattern of winning streak, losing streak, winning streak, longer losing streak, two game winning streak, longer losing streak, winning streak, losing streak.
I know we HAVE to have some vets, but many of the old guys on this team just aren't that good. They're slow, their skills are eroding quite significantly (Andy Greene says hello, maybe Cory as well), or they get overplayed (Boyle and Lovejoy), I do think Zajac has been very good since getting booted from the top 6, but they still love to give him his power play time and putting him with Hall pretty much makes Hall look more like RNH than Taylor Hall. Stafford threw a rod and his career is over. Hayes isn't old, but he's probably out of the NHL after this year.

And when I say Lovejoy gets overplayed, I don't mean his minutes per game, but the fact that he's back to playing in EVERY game down the stretch. Back when we were in development mode and not win mode, Lovejoy was a staple up in the press box. He definitely looks decent when not playing on the top pairing, but I don't understand the fetish and prerequisite of having him in there nightly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
By the way, I've noticed John Moore hasn't looked as good anymore and those fancy corsi stats are also at a - for the first time this year.

Eye test is definitely backing it up. He was a +2.-something just a month or so ago.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
Vegas is good, but they aren’t invincible. People are overselling them a bit.

It depends what team shows up. If the team that showed up in Pitt plays Sunday we will win. If tonight’s team shows up we will have a lot of trouble.

They score in bunches. I don’t doubt the Devils can play with them but I could see it getting ugly quick if they’re not sharp.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
By the way, I've noticed John Moore hasn't looked as good anymore and those fancy corsi stats are also at a - for the first time this year.

Eye test is definitely backing it up. He was a +2.-something just a month or so ago.

Potato brain. Also way too much Lovejoy in the dying minutes of this game. He should be glued to the bench when we are trying to score.

Reactions: Bleedred

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
I think he played well enough to win, but I don't think we did.

Sadly and I'm not trying to **** on Kinkaid, but I think he won a few games this year where he didn't really play all that good, so he might be due to lose a few games where he plays very well, to even out those percentages a bit. I think this game and the Sharks game (maybe the St Louis game, but he wasn't good in the shootout) were games where he played well enough to win, but he lost.

And I remember saying early on that I'm surprised he didn't have more 1-2 goal against games just to level out the percentages and he has recently. And Cory is definitely due for a game where he allows fewer than 3 goals, even if it's on complete accident and he gets bailed out by 3 posts while doing it.

Though there was an IR stint in there, Schneider in his last eight has allowed 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3. That is very ugly and very worrisome. Not a one was a victory as you'd imagine. It's already an awful skid for what is supposed to be an elite guy. If you're a top goalie you knock this shit off after three games. At worst four. Maybe this is just who he is at soon to be 32?

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto

Missed the game. Can you give me a quick rundown?

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Though there was an IR stint in there, Schneider in his last eight has allowed 4, 4, 4, 4, 5, 3, 3, 3. That is very ugly and very worrisome. Not a one was a victory as you'd imagine. It's already an awful skid for what is supposed to be an elite guy. If you're a top goalie you knock this **** off after three games. At worst four. Maybe this is just who he is at soon to be 32?

He was playing hurt during that stretch

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He was playing hurt during that stretch

I thought Cory was fine yesterday except for that shitty softy which was a backbreaker, unfortunately. Considering it was his first game back in like forever, he actually looked reasonably intact He even had this nice boardwork pass to one of the wingers directly, which usually is his historical kyrptonite.

I hope to see Cory back in net next game, honestly.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Missed the game. Can you give me a quick rundown?
On Moore? Or the entire team?

Well, Moore wasn't good, but I can't single him out. Greene looked like hell, which has been the case a lot this season. Lovejoy was okay, I guess? Saw more of him than I would have liked to. Basically, the entire team spent A LOT of time in the D-zone in the first 2 periods. It was one of those games where I would joke about how I was living ''Glued in the D-zone'' when I had that as my location earlier in the season. It actually looked like a game from last year, only with good goaltending. I didn't even think we looked good in the 3rd, but just better.

Fluke goal that appeared to be deflected by an attempted block from Andy Greene (and perhaps another deflection on the way there) was the game winner with like 12 seconds left.

I think Butcher had the bad clearing attempt on the first goal, which sucks after I was really pumping him up here lately, about how I don't notice him and that it's a good thing because it means he's sound.

Was it the worst effort of the year? For where we were in the season, it definitely needs consideration. The flattering final score of 3-1 (with an empty net) was pretty flattering. It was the first loss in quite a while where I could say the goalie didn't allow a goal that he had a chance on.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I thought Cory was fine yesterday except for that ****ty softy which was a backbreaker, unfortunately. Considering it was his first game back in like forever, he actually looked reasonably intact He even had this nice boardwork pass to one of the wingers directly, which usually is his historical kyrptonite.

I hope to see Cory back in net next game, honestly.
I think you give Cory a chance to get back in there and try and do and work some rust off. I didn't think he looked rusty last night, as much as that goal just kind of sucked. I don't think that goal had anything to do with his groin. The first goal might have a little bit, but it's kind of nitpicky to get on him for that one. Especially when it was a borderline bad goal to be allowed to stand.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
I think you give Cory a chance to get back in there and try and do and work some rust off. I didn't think he looked rusty last night, as much as that goal just kind of sucked. I don't think that goal had anything to do with his groin. The first goal might have a little bit, but it's kind of nitpicky to get on him for that one. Especially when it was a borderline bad goal to be allowed to stand.

I think they must go back with him, him being Cory.

One was a deflection had low chance on, kind of like tonights game. The short side shoulder softie was a killer, but you gotta go back to your #1. Watching the game up until that point, it looked like Cory was in control. Not to say Kinkaid had a bad game today either, Keith was also fine,...........its just, i don't think you can sit your slated starter regularly and go to #2 guy. The team must keep the confidence up for Cory for us to have any chance at going anywhere.

Also, I think Cory is too young to say he's lost his edge :) ... (not you specifically, just the general vibe we've seen here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad