Keenan for coach of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HFNHL Red Wings

Ok I have seen some pretty strange things that defy explanation over the past 4 seasons but the fact that Vancouver is doing so well tops them all. Heck we're nearly at the half way mark and the Canucks have a .550 winning percentage!
The last of the star players have been traded away and their still getting victories and even a tie with the Senators last night.
Keenan has to be coach of the year. If they survive to the playoff's I would be very nervous if I we're the opposing GM facing this team.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
No kidding. I know I've been amazed they're 4 games over .500, while giving up 12 more goals than they've scored. I keep waiting for them to slip, but they keep pulling games out.

And I can only imagine the frustration Columbus, Phoenix and Chicago are feeling, as they continue to lose ground on the 8th and final spot in the West.

I especially feel for the Jackets, who've spent a fair amount of coin on the playoff gamble - more especially the prospect of earning a few playoff $'s. The heat is getting turned up in the Ohio publications from what I hear, as their General Manager's job may be in jeopardy. Something that would have been considered unthinkable a year or two ago after he helped save that franchise from contraction.

And while as the current conference leader, the Blues would love to face the Canucks in the first round, I can't help but remind myself to be careful what I wish for...

HFNHL Red Wings

Brock said:
And what's even weirder is that the Canucks are currently under the 66OV roster rule...lol By Sean's last calculation I believe he said he was at 65.6 or something.

Well he better fix it quick b/c the all-star break is less than two weeks away. We wouldn't want his 15th overall pick to be reduced to 17th overall in a weak draft year ;)

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Well he better fix it quick b/c the all-star break is less than two weeks away. We wouldn't want his 15th overall pick to be reduced to 17th overall in a weak draft year ;)

I'm working on it and have been for a while, believe me. I send out about three offers a day, just nothing is materializing.

As for the performance, not only should Keenan get the Jack Adams, but Robert Esche has to be right there for the Vezina. He has the second best save percentage despite not having a defenceman over 67 on his roster.

If anybody has any available players in the 64-70 range that are available cheaply, please let me know. As Drew said, I don't exactly have that much time, but I'd rather drop from 15-17 (hey, it's not like I'm going from Ovechkin to Olesz) than severely overpay for a rental of an unusual kind.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Crappy @$%&$@%^ browser! It crapped out on me while posting my response to this. My typical, long-winded, thoroughly researched response...

Here's the short version:

The Jackets are 0-2-1 against the Canucks so far this season - that's 5 points we missed out on that should have been very achieveable. Coincidentally, we're also 5 points out of the 8th and last playoff spot, currently occupied by - you guessed it -the Vancouver Canucks. So we do indeed hate those bastards...

But our problems aren't Vancouver, they're Columbus. Despite adding Roenick, York, Orszagh, Aucoin, O'Donnell, Berg and Johnson this year, we're only playing .500 hockey - good enough for an 82-points season. Management had projected - perhaps too abitiously - a 94-point season and a playoff berth. Going 3-for-3 against the Canucks might have put the Jackets in the playoffs today, but wouldn't have assured us of a 94-point season...

Why all the pressure? After all, the Jackets have improved every season since I took the team over, we're playing .500 hockey and are in the thick of the playoff race. That's good, isn't it?

Not with the team leveraged to the hilt to make this run - our finances are in dire shape, and we've made moves this season that presumed certain things being accomplished. Things like making the playoffs... Like hitting 94 points... Like having junior-aged prospects that might actually achieve straightforward objectives... Like having more than 14,000 people showing up to home games...

If things don't turn around soon, heads are going to roll - and no one may be safe. Not the players, not Head Coach Mike Babcock, not even GM Doug Emerson.

No pressure, kids.

Dryden

Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
I say we head to Vancouver and take out Keenan. Get him drunk and he'll never know what hit him. We could mak elike Resovoir Dogs and strap him to a chair and cook him alive.

You in?

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Ohio Jones said:
Crappy @$%&$@%^ browser! It crapped out on me while posting my response to this. My typical, long-winded, thoroughly researched response...

Here's the short version:

The Jackets are 0-2-1 against the Canucks so far this season - that's 5 points we missed out on that should have been very achieveable. Coincidentally, we're also 5 points out of the 8th and last playoff spot, currently occupied by - you guessed it -the Vancouver Canucks. So we do indeed hate those bastards...

But our problems aren't Vancouver, they're Columbus. Despite adding Roenick, York, Orszagh, Aucoin, O'Donnell, Berg and Johnson this year, we're only playing .500 hockey - good enough for an 82-points season. Management had projected - perhaps too abitiously - a 94-point season and a playoff berth. Going 3-for-3 against the Canucks might have put the Jackets in the playoffs today, but wouldn't have assured us of a 94-point season...

Why all the pressure? After all, the Jackets have improved every season since I took the team over, we're playing .500 hockey and are in the thick of the playoff race. That's good, isn't it?

Not with the team leveraged to the hilt to make this run - our finances are in dire shape, and we've made moves this season that presumed certain things being accomplished. Things like making the playoffs... Like hitting 94 points... Like having junior-aged prospects that might actually achieve straightforward objectives... Like having more than 14,000 people showing up to home games...

If things don't turn around soon, heads are going to roll - and no one may be safe. Not the players, not Head Coach Mike Babcock, not even GM Doug Emerson.

No pressure, kids.

Hey Hey, I'm not complaining here ;)

Keep at it Douggie! I'm liking where your first rounder sits currently!

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Oh look, a 7-1 victory over the Colorado Avalanche. I'm tied for 6th in the West. What is going on? Whos' paying off the sim? Can you even pay off a sim?

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Dryden said:
I say we head to Vancouver and take out Keenan. Get him drunk and he'll never know what hit him. We could mak elike Resovoir Dogs and strap him to a chair and cook him alive.

You in?

"I'm in!" said a shadowy figure that in the right light might be mistaken for GM Emerson... gettin' my hands dirty, just like McPhee!

HFNHL Red Wings

Hossa said:
3 shots?

Is this the sim's cruel way of setting the world straight or something. Wow.

Hmmm. Didn't notice that part. I think your just found out who's paying off the sim. It's obviously that Quain guy who's afraid of some real competition come the palyoff's and the curse of the President's Trophy.
Oh wait he isn't leading the league, despite his free spending ways, it's the Bruins who are on top. Oh that must hurt Nick but I'm sure Rob never points that out though ;-)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I am totally frustrated with my teams performance. This team is MUCH better than last year, and we are on a similar pace. At least we have won 4 straight.

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Wild GM said:
I am totally frustrated with my teams performance. This team is MUCH better than last year, and we are on a similar pace. At least we have won 4 straight.

Looks like the other teams ahead of you, just improve that much so that you are still you in current predicament. I wonder if u have thought about it that way, Greg?? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad