Keenan Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Keenan Available

(AP) Vancouver: In a rather surprising move, the Vancouver Canucks have fired head coach Mike Keenan, making the former NHL Coach of the year a free agent in the coaching ranks. Keenan won a cup with the New York Rangers in 1994, and also lead the Philadelphia Flyers and Chicago Blackhawks to the Cup finals in the late-80’s and early 90’s respectively.

“He’s one of the top coaches in the HFNHL, and let’s just say it came down to some fundamental ideological differences with the Canucks General Manager (Sean Keogh)â€, said Keenan’s agent Reggie Swingstein. “I think Mike wants to take the high road on this one, so we’ll just leave it at that.â€

It is believed the Canucks have hired Claude Julien to take over from Keenan with the belief he will be a better long-term fit for the young Canucks, although no formal announcement from the Canucks has been made.

Swingstein went on to say that Keenan will listen to all offers and would ideally like to make a decision on a new job this week, although he would not rule out waiting until the HFNHL playoffs unfold, where a few more teams may enter the Keenan sweepstakes.

For teams that have finished their 2003-2004 season, there is no cost to firing their coach, so it is believed there will be several teams looking to make a move for the Canucks mercurial former coach.

Rumours also have circulated that Keenan is watching the St. Louis Blues series closely, as a the Blues may opt for a major shake-up this off-season given they’re down 3-1 to the Edmonton Oilers - which could go down as one of the biggest upsets in HFNHL playoff history.

While it is believed by some that Blues head coach Marc Crawford is one of the most secure coaches in the HFNHL, another loss to the Oilers, and the Blues will suffer their earliest exit in the HFNHL playoffs in over three years. A major shake-up with the Blue Notes could soon follow.

“That may indeed be an interesting fitâ, stated Swingstein.

HFNHL Red Wings

Mr. Swingstein,
How would a team that is still in the playoff's actually indicate their interest, theoretically of course :)
Is a team allowed to do that?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Given Keenan is no longer under contract, there would be no tampering involved for any team to contact his agent regarding Keenan's potential interest in coaching that team, and it is possible a conditional deal could be made, which would only be executed when the team's 2003-2004 season concludes. Terms of which would remain non-disclosed to save the team the embarassement of making public the fact their current coach is in fact a lame duck.

Regards,

Reggie Swingstein
HFNHL Player Agent

Pandastyle

I should have asked about this a few weeks ago, cause then I would have Julien instead of Sean. :)
Dr.Sens(e) said:
Given Keenan is no longer under contract, there would be no tampering involved for any team to contact his agent regarding Keenan's potential interest in coaching that team, and it is possible a conditional deal could be made, which would only be executed when the team's 2003-2004 season concludes. Terms of which would remain non-disclosed to save the team the embarassement of making public the fact their current coach is in fact a lame duck.

Regards,

Reggie Swingstein
HFNHL Player Agent

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Pandastyle said:
I should have asked about this a few weeks ago, cause then I would have Julien instead of Sean. :)

I knew there were others out there who must have wanted Julien. Sorry Andrew. Considering your team's playoff success thus far, I don't think you're too down about it.

Pandastyle

Yeah, I'm fine, if you any suggestions as to who can replace Dave King, email me. I don't want anyone else getting the drop on the next guy. :)
Hossa said:
I knew there were others out there who must have wanted Julien. Sorry Andrew. Considering your team's playoff success thus far, I don't think you're too down about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->