TSN: Kassian for Scrivens

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Most important game of the year so far for so many reasons is tonight.
Will BS be able to deliver?
Stay Tuned...

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Wtf, there's been plenty this year alone. Myers' trade, Sharp's, Seguin's not too long ago, O'Reilly's, Hamilton's off the top of my head.

Yes every year there are one or two reasonably large trades. The Only blockbuster above is Seguin, Myers and Hamilton don't compete for the Norris, they are both 2/3 dman. Kane is not likely to break 40 points. ROR is pretty big trade but he still is a #2 C on a lot of contending teams. Sharp is the perfect fit for Dallas but he wouldn't produce those same numbers playing anywhere else.

So while MB isn't correct that good deals can't be made it is true that only one or two teams a year find a way to land a real impact player and that player will be found in the off season. In a 30 team league, with 120 top 6 wingers to see a handful move in a season is not a lot of movement. And in year adjustments are nearly impossible - 4 trades at nearly the halfway mark, all fringe guys. A top 9 forward hasn't been moved this year in season.

So if you lose say your top goalie, top RW don't expect to be able to replace them in season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
The thing is we don't really need an impact player. We have those. Despite what people might say of Subban, Price, AG, Gallagher and Patch this is a very solid and good base to work with.

We just need NHL players. Sorry for all the Byron/Flynn lovers but those guy are not a top 9 NHL player. They are just not. Period.

As for Carr and Ghetto i love them but they are still inexperienced AHL player and while they could both have a career in the NHL looking forward we can't say they are the most talented guys around. Add to this the fact they don't have experience and are not really big guys either ...

None of those guys should play top 9 when the team is healthy imo.

Guys like Oshie, Williams or Sharp would be big improvement over what we have right now on the wing.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
A westmount security guy found it in westmount square.... was he piss drunk and lost it after partying the day after getting out? possibly! But he could have as easily went out to a restaurant and simply lost it. Is it plausible? maybe... maybe not!

The whole thing is just sad.

I hope you get your act straight Zach.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
On radio they said that upon going out of the therapy center, Habs players invited Kassian to a place where Kassian DRANK NO ALCOHOL and someone found his wallet, called the Habs that they had found his wallet and it's based on that they MB decided to get rid of him.

Would be stupid if they got rid of him on falses assumptions.

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
Vatican City
On radio they said that upon going out of the therapy center, Habs players invited Kassian to a place where Kassian DRANK NO ALCOHOL and someone found his wallet, called the Habs that they had found his wallet and it's based on that they MB decided to get rid of him.

Would be stupid if they got rid of him on falses assumptions.

I find it hard to believe that the players would invite Kassian to a bar right after substance abuse therapy...

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
A westmount security guy found it in westmount square.... was he piss drunk and lost it after partying the day after getting out? possibly! But he could have as easily went out to a restaurant and simply lost it. Is it plausible? maybe... maybe not!

The whole thing is just sad.

I hope you get your act straight Zach.

westmount square?!? where the **** would he have been drinking here hehe

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As a recovering alcoholic I wish Zach Kassian well and that he finds his way to a good life. I have been there.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
First of all, this is a blah trade. If it fails, it's really nothing gained, nothing lost.

But I must impress upon the Montreal Canadien fans how well their team has played both ends of the rink. Toronto and Edmonton have been horrible. The Bakersville Condors are even worst. For a goalie, Kessel on the ice means your team is short-handed. Period. Not only did Scrivens get to watch Kessel give up the puck 82 times a season, Kessel didn't do anything about it, not an ounce of back-check. Think Carey Price is good? He might of been in a mental-ward had he gone through what Scrivens did.

Scrivens can steal a win, but for most part, he puts up numbers directly how well the team in front of him plays. Like firing a coach, it's easier to move a goalie then it is to deal with the skaters on the ice. Toronto and Edmonton didn't get any better with a different goalie.

Montreal plays good. There's no reason the Habs can't kick-start his career. If anything, they end up with too many goalies and have trade assets. And can you imagine Toronto's anguish with Rask in Boston and a successful Scrivens in Montreal? It would be enough to make Leaf fan's head explode. That has to be worth the small risk right there.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
From the outside, it doesn't look like Kassian will get his act together in the near future. Montreal was his last chance. Now he gets another.

I think MB and the Habs weren't impressed with what they saw after the therapy, because Scrivens isn't worth anything. They could've let Kassian play in the AHL and pump up his value, but they really wanted him out.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
First of all, this is a blah trade. If it fails, it's really nothing gained, nothing lost.

But I must impress upon the Montreal Canadien fans how well their team has played both ends of the rink. Toronto and Edmonton have been horrible. The Bakersville Condors are even worst. For a goalie, Kessel on the ice means your team is short-handed. Period. Not only did Scrivens get to watch Kessel give up the puck 82 times a season, Kessel didn't do anything about it, not an ounce of back-check. Think Carey Price is good? He might of been in a mental-ward had he gone through what Scrivens did.

Scrivens can steal a win, but for most part, he puts up numbers directly how well the team in front of him plays. Like firing a coach, it's easier to move a goalie then it is to deal with the skaters on the ice. Toronto and Edmonton didn't get any better with a different goalie.

Montreal plays good. There's no reason the Habs can't kick-start his career. If anything, they end up with too many goalies and have trade assets. And can you imagine Toronto's anguish with Rask in Boston and a successful Scrivens in Montreal? It would be enough to make Leaf fan's head explode. That has to be worth the small risk right there.

Eh, Rask hasn't won anything yet. And as you said, the skaters in front of him might be actual reason he looks so good in Boston. Well, there's Philly choke and his record against Montreal as bad things on the resume. So, he's not THAT good, all things considered.

Thankfully, since Leafs suck without Rask, we didn't the crappinenss he has against Montreal on Toronto. But we thank Rask for making Montreal his Achilles heel.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
As a recovering alcoholic I wish Zach Kassian well and that he finds his way to a good life. I have been there.

Much respect to you sir, all the best in the future!

Has anyone else on here remarked on the fact that we traded a guy with an IQ of 65 who can't play well for a guy with an IQ of 140 who can't play well? Net negative move in my eyes...

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
We all wish Kassian would have turned it around to reach is full potentiel but the it probably won't ever happen...

Scrivens is an ok backup goalie, he played in Toronto so he is used to the media circus. The only issue I have is that there have been better/Cheaper goalie available on waivers earlier in the years. Goalie aren't the reason the team wasn't winning, how many more win will Condon/Scrivens get vs. Condon/Tokarsky?

We need more skill up front we are even with a full line up we are pretty tin on skills, Carr/Ghetto aren't going to cut it...

Semin/Kassian weren't working out they knew internally they should have made a move while we were winning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad