NHL Player - Kasperi Kapanen

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm sure that'll happen eventually, but right now the team is hot and there's absolutely no reason to make a change like that. Also, Kapanen has to earn that kind of ice time. Next year maybe (if there's a bad slump).
Kapanen's been pretty good, and Hyman definitely didn't have to earn that usage

if it were me, I would have been experimenting more to this point

Reactions: zeke

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013

You know what I love about both the Raps and Leafs rosters at the moment. They roll 2 units and 4 lines.

In the case of the Raps, Lowry and Derozan are getting some much needed rest down the stretch.

I’m not sure what the TOI break down is for the Leafs, but I’m sure the fact that Babs can roll 4 lines and 6 D confidently is a big factor to the teams success. They’re depth is finally showing this season ie Kapanen, Dermott, Holl, and some of the Marlins waiting to get their shot.

I love Kap, I think he’s going to be a beauty, but I also think he’s best suited on the 4th line atm. If you swapped he and Hyman, that fourth line would be way way less effective with two other grinders (20 & 47) and the balance would be lost.

Not to mention the first line is flying.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
You know what I love about both the Raps and Leafs rosters at the moment. They roll 2 units and 4 lines.

In the case of the Raps, Lowry and Derozan are getting some much needed rest down the stretch.

I’m not sure what the TOI break down is for the Leafs, but I’m sure the fact that Babs can roll 4 lines and 6 D confidently is a big factor to the teams success. They’re depth is finally showing this season ie Kapanen, Dermott, Holl, and some of the Marlins waiting to get their shot.

I love Kap, I think he’s going to be a beauty, but I also think he’s best suited on the 4th line atm. If you swapped he and Hyman, that fourth line would be way way less effective with two other grinders (20 & 47) and the balance would be lost.

Not to mention the first line is flying.
imo, 2/3 of the 1st line is flying. I think that defenses intentionally cheat to give less space to Matthews/Nylander and let Hyman be open because they aren't afraid of him beating them. I'd love to see what that line looks like with a 3rd guy that defenses can't just ignore. And if the line didn't work, you could always go back

I agree on the 4 lines idea, but the 4th does get a lot less ice time. Hyman is a pretty perfect bottom 6 player, and at one time he was a center. Wonder if it's worth exploring him as the 4th line center next year and beyond. He's always on the #1 PK unit and is excellent there too

I'll never understand why Babcock took this young, deep team, and before seeing a game decided what the lines and PP units would be 2 years ago and hasn't changed them since.
completely agree, and I think the time to mess around with the lineup is closing. Playoff positioning is going to matter when we get into the contention days, so we won't have the freedom to tinker

also agree with your lines, might even try Hyman as the 4th line center next season and beyond if that's something we think he could swing. He was a center for a long time coming up, and that would open another wing spot for the system to fill

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Scotty Bowman was on Prime Time on the Fan 590 yesterday. Bowman, still sharp and hockey obsessed as always at 84, brought up Kapanen's name as an example of the impact young players with speed on 3rd and 4th lines across the league who are making the game faster than it has ever been. Of course Bob McCown quickly changed the subject to something far more important to a Toronto audience: whether the 40 year old Jarome Iginla was going to make a comeback.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Scotty Bowman was on Prime Time on the Fan 590 yesterday. Bowman, still sharp and hockey obsessed as always at 84, brought up Kapanen's name as an example of the impact young players with speed on 3rd and 4th lines across the league who are making the game faster than it has ever been. Of course Bob McCown quickly changed the subject to something far more important to a Toronto audience: whether the 40 year old Jarome Iginla was going to make a comeback.
He adds a great element that teams need to respect on the 4th line. I think the 4th line has actually played pretty well lately with him on it, even with Komarov and Moore it seems to get the job done. Hope he continues to improve and moves up the lineup eventually.

member 147413

How do you know Hyman didn’t earn that usage? From everything I’ve heard, is that Hyman is one of the hardest workers on the team, a good locker room presence and does everything coach says without question. He knows his role and he does it happily.

Reactions: IBeL13f

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Right now, what it seems to me that Kapanen is accomplishing is forcing other teams to occasionally line match with better players because their 4th liners are unable to contain him. He really seems to be leaving his linemates in the dust, so I don't think he's going to accomplish much offense until he is actually playing with players he isn't so far ahead of much of the time. On the other hand, it looks like he's single handedly helping to shelter JVR and Bozak even more than they already were being sheltered. So, yay Kap?

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Right now, what it seems to me that Kapanen is accomplishing is forcing other teams to occasionally line match with better players because their 4th liners are unable to contain him. He really seems to be leaving his linemates in the dust, so I don't think he's going to accomplish much offense until he is actually playing with players he isn't so far ahead of much of the time. On the other hand, it looks like he's single handedly helping to shelter JVR and Bozak even more than they already were being sheltered. So, yay Kap?

not big numbers but I can see him scoring a huge goal for the team, just based on what you said. When other teams play their 3rd/4th lines, a guy like Kapanen with blazing speed and top6 hands, can take advantage. He's just not going to be with linemates that create sustained offensive zone time or cycle or generate much off the rush because they can't skate with him. I find he passes too much when he should shoot - like he doesn't realize he's the best option and play a little more selfish.

Reactions: taurine330

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
I'll never understand why Babcock took this young, deep team, and before seeing a game decided what the lines and PP units would be 2 years ago and hasn't changed them since.

I'm not into conspiracies.....but there is something here that just doesn't make sense.
Why is he so rigid in this one area?
Why will he not try someone else there even in the first scrimmages ?

I am left with the idea that it is all about ego......he was challenged right from the start by the fans and media
about Hyman being there and has now dug in his heels and come hell and high water, Hyman stays....no matter what....he will not give in....to the death, or the end of his contract, whichever comes first.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
not big numbers but I can see him scoring a huge goal for the team, just based on what you said. When other teams play their 3rd/4th lines, a guy like Kapanen with blazing speed and top6 hands, can take advantage. He's just not going to be with linemates that create sustained offensive zone time or cycle or generate much off the rush because they can't skate with him. I find he passes too much when he should shoot - like he doesn't realize he's the best option and play a little more selfish.

He does need to shoot more. He’s playing with two vets so he probably feels the need to pass off more often then not but here’s hoping the book gets out that he overpasses and he catches some teams by surprise when he starts to shoot

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
He does need to shoot more. He’s playing with two vets so he probably feels the need to pass off more often then not but here’s hoping the book gets out that he overpasses and he catches some teams by surprise when he starts to shoot

what's surprised me about Kapanen this year is how much more confident he is, he also seems way quicker (if that's even possible) and is a threat whenever he has the puck and open ice. He's so hidden on that 4th line that he's even more dangerous, kinda reminds me of Grabner (before his hip surgery, when the NYI grabbed him off waivers) where he'd get 3-4 breakaways a game with just anticipation/acceleration - but Kapanen plays a much "safer" Babcock game without the puck.

He's a much better player than I expected based on his last 2 camps and in the role he has now, makes the Leafs a real problem for teams like Boston and Tampa.

Bergeron will give FITS to Matthews and they may neutralize one another over 7 games - but the Kadri line and players like Kapanen, Brown or JVR on the 3rd/4th lines could overwhelm the 3rd/4th lines from even top NHL teams.

If Freddie stays healthy and the defense (team defense) is just "good" - the Leafs will cause major problems in the playoffs.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
How do you know Hyman didn’t earn that usage? From everything I’ve heard, is that Hyman is one of the hardest workers on the team, a good locker room presence and does everything coach says without question. He knows his role and he does it happily.
"earn" meaning having the skillset (and corresponding offensive production) to warrant premium 5v5 ice time with premium linemates. Work ethic and character are great, they don't help scoring.

and don't get me wrong, Hyman is an NHL'er, just badly miscast in his 5v5 usage. It certainly warrants at least trying something different to see if it works better, Hyman's role has never been considered for revision as far as I can tell, which contradicts the meritocracy idea that Babcock has been bellowing

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Wonder if Brown can play C. Hyman - Brown - Leo.

This is what I'd like to see tried next year or sooner:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Aaltonen-Johnson
Leivo-Bozak-Brown

Just roll with it:)

Last edited:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Korshkov is doing GREAT. And I think his contract is up this year in the KHL.

Well, Korshkov, Grundstrom and Engvall are putting up similar points (each about 0.5 ppg in their seasons) , so it should be interested with some more promotions on the Marlies, which of these three 6ft+ wingers come over to fill in for the likes of Kap, Johnsson and one or two others being on the Leafs or elswhere.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
This is what I'd like to see tried next year or sooner:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Kadri-Marner
Marleau-Aaltonen-Johnson
Leivo-Bozak-Brown

Just roll with it:)

Too hard to predict what we will roll with next year. Don't see Bozak, and likely Leivo returning and you may need to add Glendening if Babs gets his man as rumored :)

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
So what do you guys expect from him this year?

I think he will score 20 goals with around 15 assists, playing 3rd line + heavy PK minutes.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

I think he will score 20 goals with around 15 assists, playing 3rd line + heavy PK minutes.

I think he will start on the 4th line unfortunately. Brown will continue to get his unearned minutes up the lineup.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

I think Hyman was in the right place at the right time and took advantage of his opportunity. I've experienced it personally, I was up for a promotion, I was by far the best qualified, had great recommendations and the job went to a friend of the interviewer, the person who got the job that I "competed" for was out of that job 6 months later. I've also been given a promotion without any interview because I made the most of my opportunities before the job was posted. It comes down to timing and circumstance a lot of the time for people to get great jobs, Hyman has a great job, if you make the most of it you stick, if you don't someone else is willing to step in and take that role. Hyman may be out of his depth skill wise but he consistently demonstrates the will to do the dirty work so the skill guys can do what they do.

Except for Montreal & Toronto, would Hyman be on the 1st line on any other team in the league?

I basing this solely on the Boston series but I think Hyman is going to have a break out year, 10 goals and 20 assists... the guy will be on fire... :D

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

If we can get 15g/30a out of him with 3rd line & effective PK usage, I think that would be called a good year for him

daner

Feb 18, 2009
Good player with potential but needs to learn how to finish. Also, plays the puck like a hand grenade and rushes things in high danger scoring areas. Hopefully will learn to take his time when he gets a chance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad