Karmanos Rips Owners (Should be GM's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhitch

Sep 20, 2003
Edmonton
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

"Some of the other general managers don't realize they don't get mulligans anymore. Philadelphia and Detroit and Toronto, before if they made a $10 million mistake, they'd go out and get another player. Those days are gone. We're going to see in the long run how it works out."

This is not the first time we have heard an owner speak out like this. To be honest I am quite surprised with the some of the contracts handed out. It seems that the 24% rollback has not been a factor at all in the new CBA. Some players signed for less money and some players got huge raises.

My question is this:

Do you think that there will be a salary drag over the next few years? Will the new CBA work this out over the long run as Karmanos suggetss?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Another "What are these GMs/Owners thinking?" thread? Given the unique situation the league is in during this abbreviated offseason, I was expecting this. This is the first month of a brand new economic system. Also to be expected, the trade-deadline/post-season salary dump and cap casualties.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
Oilhitch said:

It seems that the 24% rollback has not been a factor at all in the new CBA. Some players signed for less money and some players got huge raises.

Which is exactly why the players proposed the 24% salary rollback instead of agreeing to a salary cap...and why Bettman was adamant that the league gets a salary cap. Bettman is looking pretty smart. Remember, he also said that almost every team would spend up to or very close to the cap...whatever that number was going to be...and the NHLPA ridiculed him for that statment...hate Bettman all you want (universal 'you') but you gotta give Bettman his props for this new CBA.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Peter said:
. Bettman is looking pretty smart. Remember, he also said that almost every team would spend up to or very close to the cap...whatever that number was going to be...

All 30 teams are at the cap? News to me. I must have missed the free agent spending sprees of Buffalo, Minnesota and Washington among others. Bettman doesn`t look smart; he lokks like an idiot- as usual.

As for Karmonos, when he made that $28M offer to Fedorov he forfeited the right to whine about signings that other teams make.

Habsaku

Apr 28, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
reckoning said:
All 30 teams are at the cap? News to me. I must have missed the free agent spending sprees of Buffalo, Minnesota and Washington among others. Bettman doesn`t look smart; he lokks like an idiot- as usual.

As for Karmonos, when he made that $28M offer to Fedorov he forfeited the right to whine about signings that other teams make.

He said almost all not all.

Also, I think Karmanos did htat to piss off Illitch more then anything.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
reckoning said:

Yeah you did miss something...how to read...you do that in a place called school. Geesh. What did I say? "Bettman said that almost all the teams would spend to the cap or close to the cap." Before offering a knee-jerk response read what someone has posted...every word...not just every third word.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Having Detroit, New Jersey, and Philadelphia spend to the cap is reasonable and expected.

But when team a team like Atlanta is testing upper limits of the cap it is not a good fiscal decision.

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
The Owners got what they wanted

The owners got cost certainty based on a percentage of the revenue. If one owner spends to the cap and his market cant support it, thats the owners problem.

Its got to come to a point where each owner treats there buisness like a business.

I think the Flyers made stupid decisions signing a Derian Hatcher with a history of knee problems at 33 years old to a five year contract. I think the Stars made a bad decision giving Mike Modano at 35 years old a five year contract.

But now these teams are going to have to live with bad decisions.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
How about you spend some money on the team Karmonos you fat cat insted of *****ing at other owners who give their gm's money some money to spend.....

Wetcoaster

It reminds me of a quotation from Douglas Adams who authored The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

If you want to see how big a fool most GM's and NHL owners are check out Bruce Dowbiggin's book Money Players - How Hockey's Greatest Stars Beat the NHL at its Own Game

And for those of you who do not remember in 1994, the NHL was declared the unqualified victor in that labour tussle. It did not quite work out that way.

"When the [CBA] was signed in 1995, many people thought it was an unqualified victory for the league," player agent Allan Walsh, who represents Pittsburgh goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury, told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review recently.

But what appeared to be a victory on paper never materialized. When NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman was asked if the deal signed in 1995 was favorable to owners, he responded with this quote:

"It's interesting because most people thought that at the time because this is the most restrictive Collective Bargaining Agreement in professional sports absent a link between revenues and players' salaries. The Union got very good at managing it [the CBA], at managing the agents; at managing the marketplace that was defined by the Collective Bargaining Agreement and it was, inherently in retrospect, inflationary."
http://www.andrewsstarspage.com/CBA/7-11cba.htm

Basically most GM's are financial idiots.

So for every idiotproof system that is designed there is a new and improved idiot that comes along to foul it up. (Anonymous - attribute to an unnamed engineer)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Peter Karmanos is an *** who seems to make a lot of excuses not to improve his team. It sure does make a lot of financial sense to package an AHL team as an NHL product.

Scoot

Jun 5, 2004
Texas
Because it's not about buying other teams top players who they have drafted and nurtured, once they become UFA's.

Sports (in this case ice hockey) is about the competition on the field (ice)
Not about how much money your owner has to buy championships :shakehead

The salary cap is the best thing to happen in ice hockey, because it will separate the men from the boys, and GM's like Holland and Kroenke etc, fall into the latter category :teach:

Buying the cup will never get you credibility, developing draft picks and a farm system does. That's why the Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967 :sarcasm:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Scoot said:
Because it's not about buying other teams top players who they have drafted and nurtured, once they become UFA's.

Sports (in this case ice hockey) is about the competition on the field (ice)
Not about how much money your owner has to buy championships :shakehead

The salary cap is the best thing to happen in ice hockey, because it will separate the men from the boys, and GM's like Holland and Kroenke etc, fall into the latter category :teach:

Buying the cup will never get you credibility, developing draft picks and a farm system does. That's why the Leafs haven't won the cup since 1967 :sarcasm:

Sports is about competition...

which is about winning...

Which requires a good team...

which can come from drafting...

OR signing free agents...

It's all kosher...

I don't understand where this pointless "1967" shite comes from. I suppose you're allowed to make fun of teams that sign free agents because the Devils have never signed a free agent before or traded young players for veterans.

I guess Mogilny wasn't a high priced UFA signing this year. I guess Malakhov wasn't either. I guess Matvichuk never happened.

SENSible1*

We'll see how dumb Bettman looks when the PA is handing over a check for approx. 10% of their pay this season from the escrow.

The cap magnet effect is a reality based on the competitive nature of sports.

Idiot GM's who make mistakes will have to pay for their idiocy. Personally, I think that is fantastic.

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
Thunderstruck said:
We'll see how dumb Bettman looks when the PA is handing over a check for approx. 10% of their pay this season from the escrow.

The cap magnet effect is a reality based on the competitive nature of sports.

Idiot GM's who make mistakes will have to pay for their idiocy. Personally, I think that is fantastic.

Unfortunately it's the players that lose the money in the escrow accounts. I think the GM's should put about 10% of their income in the escrow account as well. Then maybe they would put a little more thought into the contract decisions that they made. :)

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Spongebob said:
Unfortunately it's the players that lose the money in the escrow accounts. I think the GM's should put about 10% of their income in the escrow account as well. Then maybe they would put a little more thought into the contract decisions that they made. :)

At least the good news is that the over-spenders are directly and indirectly subsidising the small revenue and small spending teams through escrow.

The escrow dollars taken from the players is not returned directly to their original teams. First it is used to fund the two rounds of revenue sharing and any remaining dollars are split 30 ways, so Washington, Florida, and Minnesota get the same dollars back as New Jersey, Philly and Anaheim.

Hawker14

Oct 27, 2004
i think karmanos would be better off focusing his energy on his own franchise instead of speaking about others.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
FlyerFan said:
Now Hiring Capologists

Call Peter Karmanos

1-800-CRY-BABY
imissed the part where he was crying. all he said he thinks some of the other guys are crazy. its a legit statement. alot of people think some of these teams are crazy. we'll see whose right in the end. im not defending karmanos, i think he's an ***, but everyone getting upset cause he has an opinion seems ironic.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Would Karmanos like some cheese with that :whine:

I think he is only pissed off the Canes only managed to sign Ray Whitney

Ogopogo*

Oilhitch said:

"Some of the other general managers don't realize they don't get mulligans anymore. Philadelphia and Detroit and Toronto, before if they made a $10 million mistake, they'd go out and get another player. Those days are gone. We're going to see in the long run how it works out."

This is not the first time we have heard an owner speak out like this. To be honest I am quite surprised with the some of the contracts handed out. It seems that the 24% rollback has not been a factor at all in the new CBA. Some players signed for less money and some players got huge raises.

My question is this:

Do you think that there will be a salary drag over the next few years? Will the new CBA work this out over the long run as Karmanos suggetss?

Karmanos need not worry. With the cap, the teams that sign bad deals will totally hamstring themselves. Can you imagine the Rangers signing Holik to a HUGE deal and not being able to sign anyone else because of it?

There is nothing to worry about. Some teams will totally screw themselves with stupid spending and that will leave the teams with cap room to cherry pick UFAs without much competition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->