Karlsson on Broadway

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Mayyyyyybe as a free agent next offseason. “No” to trading assets for EK.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think your inadvertent typo is actually truth. A move for Karlsson is the opposite of "We're rebuilding". It would mean the Rangers "were rebuilding."

Thank ****ing God you are not our GM. Jesus Christ.

Yeah. I guess you really can’t rebuild in New York

The really scary part is if this hypothetical trade occurred, there would be a lot of creative revisionism to minimize what we gave up in the trade, and it would sell a f*** load of EK Ranger jerseys.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Siddi

Rangers Masochist
Mar 8, 2013
Global
You are all assuming there would be a bidding war for EK. No GM will be willing to give up significant assets if not guaranteed he will re-sign and what if EK already decided where his future will be? That team will get him for scraps unless OTT is willing to let him go for free next year which is higly unlikely.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
OTT is not as dumb as the Icelander Mgt. Actually nobody is. Theres no way he hits Free Agency

It doesn't appear that it's just money that's at issue for Karlsson in Ottawa. Ottawa can be as smart or as dumb as they want but the likelihood that Erik chooses to re-sign with them is what's at issue.....and it would seem Erik wants out and Ottawa only has control over 1 more year of his future and then no control. They can try to trade him but he's pretty much at a place where he can choose where he wants to go....and trading for him will cost the acquiring team a lot so I expect that team will want some kind of guarantee in place that he's willing to re-sign with them.....and if he's not willing to re-sign with his potential new team----would you trade for him? I'm thinking probably not........which is to say all the leverage is in Karlsson's hands. They can try to make deals and he can stifle them if he doesn't like them.....one more year that's all he has to do.

So.....on the question of how dumb is Ottawa---Mr. Melnyk--their owner is very dumb. Pierre Dorion their G.M. is a fairly mediocre G.M. by NHL standards but IMO not really dumb but he's not helped by his owner's penny pinching ways or the emotional and asinine outbursts that come out of his mouth every now and again. IMO they've placed their head on a chopping block and the axe is about to come down.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Jonathan needs to chill.

The trade you mentioned is not one of the top 5 worst moves in Rangers History because it didn’t happen.

You’re not Jim Gorton by the way?

It might make top 3.

If we're going to acquire Karlsson--I would wait to see if he gets to free agency. I'm kind of thinking he's already decided (or at least figured it down to 3 or 4 teams) where he wants to play.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
It doesn't appear that it's just money that's at issue for Karlsson in Ottawa. Ottawa can be as smart or as dumb as they want but the likelihood that Erik chooses to re-sign with them is what's at issue.....and it would seem Erik wants out and Ottawa only has control over 1 more year of his future and then no control. They can try to trade him but he's pretty much at a place where he can choose where he wants to go....and trading for him will cost the acquiring team a lot so I expect that team will want some kind of guarantee in place that he's willing to re-sign with them.....and if he's not willing to re-sign with his potential new team----would you trade for him? I'm thinking probably not........which is to say all the leverage is in Karlsson's hands. They can try to make deals and he can stifle them if he doesn't like them.....one more year that's all he has to do.

So.....on the question of how dumb is Ottawa---Mr. Melnyk--their owner is very dumb. Pierre Dorion their G.M. is a fairly mediocre G.M. by NHL standards but IMO not really dumb but he's not helped by his owner's penny pinching ways or the emotional and asinine outbursts that come out of his mouth every now and again. IMO they've placed their head on a chopping block and the axe is about to come down.
Agree with everything you've stated above.
Also, to add, GM Dorion stated at a town hall meeting, with season ticket holders this week, that he would not trade EK at the draft this year, and that they would offer him an 8yr contract on July 1st. Melnyk also stated that their offer $$ wise, would be fair, but other teams could easily offer more. Their only advantage is the extra year they can offer EK.
I think EK gets dealt at the trade deadline next year as a top rental, but will test the FA market in July '19, and signs here on that day!

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Agree with everything you've stated above.
Also, to add, GM Dorion stated at a town hall meeting, with season ticket holders this week, that he would not trade EK at the draft this year, and that they would offer him an 8yr contract on July 1st. Melnyk also stated that their offer $$ wise, would be fair, but other teams could easily offer more. Their only advantage is the extra year they can offer EK.
I think EK gets dealt at the trade deadline next year as a top rental, but will test the FA market in July '19, and signs here on that day!

I think you're right. Ottawa's idea of packaging Bobby Ryan's toxic contract with Karlsson and still reaping a whole slew of young players, picks and prospects is not going to fly IMO. Karlsson on his own at the deadline as a rental is going to cost the acquiring team at least two 1st's I would think---they'll be late 1st's because only a legit contender would want to do that--so maybe even more.

To me EK though is going to choose his team--though if a team were to trade for him as a rental that might be their entry into the picture.

Graves94

Nov 26, 2010
Montreal
I think you're right. Ottawa's idea of packaging Bobby Ryan's toxic contract with Karlsson and still reaping a whole slew of young players, picks and prospects is not going to fly IMO. Karlsson on his own at the deadline as a rental is going to cost the acquiring team at least two 1st's I would think---they'll be late 1st's because only a legit contender would want to do that--so maybe even more.

To me EK though is going to choose his team--though if a team were to trade for him as a rental that might be their entry into the picture.
I agree, he'll choose his team for sure and that team will have to be competitive, have the financial resources and be a hockey town...

Reactions: eco's bones

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
immediately changes everything.

Ahhh, yes.

The quick fix post.

You should hit Sather up and go for a drink.

3plb9h.jpg

Reactions: ReggieDunlop68

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I’ll do Shattenkirk, Hayes, Pionk and a late first for EK.

That’s just terrible asset management. Why give up assets for him when he’s a pending UFA?

Are we winning the cup next season? No. We’re not. So why are we trying to rush through a rebuild?

****. I don’t even want to sign EK. Not for the money he’s going to command.

This team should be trying to draft and develop the next EK.

Reactions: Hunter Gathers

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I would consider Zib + Tampa con. pick + Pionk for him, but he is worth a lot more than that so I really doubt Erik will end up with Rangers in the 2018-19 season. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->