Karlsson on Broadway

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The cost for Karlsson might include taking on Bobby Ryan's contract which is very toxic. That deal could very well cost the team $17mil in cap annually for the next 5 years + whatever else.

Here's the thing---wait a year and if Erik doesn't re-sign he will become a UFA. I would wait. I don't want Ryan and I don't want to send Ottawa 3-4-5 of our best prospects.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
You’d probably have to include Shatty in the deal, as ADA doesn’t have a lot of trade value, and Pionk shows promise. We’d otherwise be stuck with far too many offensive defensemen. But why on earth would Ottawa take Shattenkirk over EK? There’s a significant quality gap. Trying to fill that gap would then either be financially undesirable for Ottawa or cost us prospects and/or picks—which wouldn’t be in line with our supposed rebuild. I just don't see it happening (no matter how much I’d love to)

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Rangers have just blown up there team and bought "stocks" in Howden, Hajek, Lindgren, Rykov. Anderson, Chytil, and Pionk were all given significant time. And they're going to turn around and trade a few of these guys plus multiple first for Karlsson? No thank you. Not yet.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Terrible is not the word. Awful. Pathetic. Putrid. Disgusting.

I love Gorton. If he trades for Karlsson and gives him 7-8 years for $90M,I hope Dolan fires his ass.

The Rangers need so many things. When they acquire those pieces and the team is ready to win,go get the extra big piece. The Hawks are the prime example. They lost in the WCF in 2009 to Detroit. They signed Hossa that summer. They already had the other pieces in place. Hossa was the missing and final piece.

The Rangers need an entire new team. They need basically everything which is why they are rebuilding. They need their young players to develop. They need to acquire more young players in the draft and through trades this summer. Fast forward to 2-3 years down the road,go get that piece after the Rangers have gone through the process. I don’t care what Lundqvist says about the process. He is a 36 year old goalie with a bad left knee.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I think this would work if the team were further along in the process.

Right now we don't really have enough established depth to make this more than an example of musical chairs.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would wait the year---which doesn't mean I would try to sign him then. I would look at where the team was--where our cap is and what avenues I saw going forward and then I'd make a decision. But trading for him now would be a complete shitshow. He will cost a lot in terms of cap space---there's a very good chance we really wouldn't be able to afford him. We need our Chytil's, Andersson's, Shesterkin's and 1st rounders. That's all stuff I don't want to give up.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I think this would work if the team were further along in the process.

Right now we don't really have enough established depth to make this more than an example of musical chairs.

Exactly. In 2-3 years when they have a better idea of what they have in some of the young players and the system has added 10-15 more quality assets through various means, a trade like this would make sense. Quantity for quality. But not yet.

Larouche to Bears

Jan 24, 2012
Anybody who says they don't make the right deal for Karlsson, is nuts. The guy is one of, if not the most valuable defender, in the league, and is still young. The man is a franchise player.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
It's not worth signing many players to that long of a term at a high cap hit, even as a UFA.

Combine the fact that we give up assets to get him and forget it.

The crap about rebuilding and needing a new team blah blah blah whatever doesn't matter. It's not worth the risk to sign a player to that term, espically one who has had major surgery already.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
Karlsson is 100 percent leaving Ottawa. It's the worst kept secret in hockey.

It would be a massive mistake for any GM to give up a significant package for Karlsson when they can just sign him next summer.

In before Chiarelli trades Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, Bear and two 1sts for Karlsson.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
Zuccarello Namestnikov traded to EDM for Klefbom and 1st

Gusev - Chytil - Kovalchuk
Kreider - Zibanejad - Buchnevich
Tkachuk - Hayes - Lettieri
Vesey - Andersson - Roussell

Dahlin - Godsson
Klefbom - Shattenkirk
Skjei - Pionk
Rykov