Karlsson/oel

Ck1

Feb 10, 2018
Edmonton
it be great to have karlsson or oel but I think the cost to aquire and keep one after next season will be to great imo. bear shows promise of being a good puck moving d-man in the future and I think oilers need to find a cheaper version of karlsson or oel maybe a Tyson Barrie. I know most fans will disagree and say go for karlsson or oel

Reactions: Aerchon

EakinsMVP

Apr 23, 2015
We literally have nothing to offer for either, without crippling the team even more... Let alone the cap space

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nuge has shown how incredibly valuable he is to this team this season. The difference between him being in the lineup vs him being injured was huge. He is our best bargaining chip, along with our 1st this year. A healthy Klefbom (22 bones chips removed from his shoulder) and Sekera (knee) is our best hope.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Carlson would be a huge addition to this team and is exactly what this team needs. We have the space to add him but we won't be able to add a top 6 winger without moving a contract out. I doubt he'd want to come here but it's worth taking a shot on him.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Carlson would be a huge addition to this team and is exactly what this team needs. We have the space to add him but we won't be able to add a top 6 winger without moving a contract out. I doubt he'd want to come here but it's worth taking a shot on him.
That would also be a dream come true, to fix our defense with one move, and not have to give up anything but cash, albeit a lot of cash.

I also doubt that we will see it. I think he will re-sign in Washington, but both sides want to wait. Washington wants their top D-man to be hungry to boost his signing value, and would gladly pay extra for him if it would help at all to escape the 2nd round. And of course maybe Carlson has faith in himself and wants to boost his signing value as much as possible.

We'll give it a shot, I'm sure. You're allowed to be over the cap in the summer so you just sign him up and figure the rest out later.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
That would also be a dream come true, to fix our defense with one move, and not have to give up anything but cash, albeit a lot of cash.

I also doubt that we will see it. I think he will re-sign in Washington, but both sides want to wait. Washington wants their top D-man to be hungry to boost his signing value, and would gladly pay extra for him if it would help at all to escape the 2nd round. And of course maybe Carlson has faith in himself and wants to boost his signing value as much as possible.

We'll give it a shot, I'm sure. You're allowed to be over the cap in the summer so you just sign him up and figure the rest out later.

If he goes UFA I wouldn’t doubt that he gets 8 on the low end and 9.5 on the high end.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I posted this on the mains and our trade thread.

To Arizona: Nurse and 9th overall (assuming it stays there) + prospect
To Edmonton: an extended OEL (assuming that he wants out of Arizona)

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
I wish there was a way to sign Carlson.
But we have to wait at least two more seasons until we can buy out Russel and Sekera or trade them.
All this team can really do is sign a player like Vanek for some scoring from the Wong to p,as with LD

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If he goes UFA I wouldn’t doubt that he gets 8 on the low end and 9.5 on the high end.
and Washington has the advantage because they have history, and also Washington is the only one that can give him 8 years. That means they could give him more cash, with a lower cap hit because of that extra year of 5-6 million only.

imo, if he would sign here for 9.5 million AAV... we should do it.

Suter signed in 2012 for 12.56% of the cap. 7.5 million AAV, and that was with a BS cap circumvention deal pre-CBA)

The cap was projected to rise to 78-82 million. 80 million cap times 12.56%= 10 million AAV

and yes, we could make it work.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Whom ever gives him over 8 mil will regret it
M Ax I would give him is 8 mil and I th8nk that is too much for him
He's #1 in the league for D scoring this season, and has always been just below the main leaders for many years now.

He also leads his team in ice time, boosted by his huge PP presence.

He's only 28. He's basically a poor-man's Karlsson. He's the same basic player but just a touch worse in most respects.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
I posted this on the mains and our trade thread.

To Arizona: Nurse and 9th overall (assuming it stays there) + prospect
To Edmonton: an extended OEL (assuming that he wants out of Arizona)

He's not eligible for an extension until July 1.

He publicly at least is saying he wants to stay in Arizona.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
Imho, if you want Karlsson (extension in place) then Drai will 100% have to be included in the deal. Both for value and for cap reasons, not sure how Oiler fans would feel filling one hole (in a major way) but creating another massive one although Nuge can fill that 2c spot easily.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Imho, if you want Karlsson (extension in place) then Drai will 100% have to be included in the deal. Both for value and for cap reasons, not sure how Oiler fans would feel filling one hole (in a major way) but creating another massive one although Nuge can fill that 2c spot easily.
one big problem with that is if want an extension in place, we have to wait until July 1st, which is after the draft, and so we couldn't trade them our 2018 1st, which is our best trade chip (edit: excluding a guy like Drai if included of course). Although, the reason why those aren't traded after is tradition. In the NBA, I've heard that sometimes players are traded right after they are drafted. It doesn't happen in the NHL though.

I'm skeptical of all 'sign and trade' proposals though. When do they ever happen?

Reactions: ivanlwan

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sounds like OEL wants to stay in Arizona. Carlson is staying put it seems.

Karlsson if he's actually available, I'd offer Klefbom + EDM 1st 2019. If they like an offer better some where else, good for them, they should take it.

No to any package with RNH. At some point you're going to end up with a team that is McDavid + Draisaitl + a remaining forward group of AHL players and Lucic if you keep gutting the forward core of the team to try and find 4 good D-Men.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Karlsson if he's actually available, I'd offer Klefbom + EDM 1st 2019. If they like an offer better some where else, good for them, they should take it.

No to any package with RNH. At some point you're going to end up with a team that is McDavid + Draisaitl + a remaining forward group of AHL players and Lucic if you keep gutting the forward core of the team to try and find 4 good D-Men.

We can't subtract from our offensive forwards at this point. It was a strength, now it isn't.

He's not eligible for an extension until July 1.

He publicly at least is saying he wants to stay in Arizona.

Could his agent talk extension? I would think that we could get an idea of what he'd want contract wise before a trade was made. We'll see if he re-signs or not.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

Karlsson just came out saying he wants to stay in OTT as well. I guess his situation is still a bit different since it does not seem to be up to him, but still.

Ragdoll

Feb 15, 2018
one big problem with that is if want an extension in place, we have to wait until July 1st, which is after the draft, and so we couldn't trade them our 2018 1st, which is our best trade chip (edit: excluding a guy like Drai if included of course). Although, the reason why those aren't traded after is tradition. In the NBA, I've heard that sometimes players are traded right after they are drafted. It doesn't happen in the NHL though.

I'm skeptical of all 'sign and trade' proposals though. When do they ever happen?

Yeah for sure, honestly I don't see us getting him. It seems that he's very set on testing free agency and cashing in big time and we can't afford that. That or he would stay in Ottawa for family. I do think that if Drai for Karlsson was the base, the 2018 1st wouldn't be necessary.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Karlsson - I would love to see him in Oilers silks but the cost would be too high. Draisaitl + would go the other way. People underestimate how lethal this team if Drai gets a winger. We need to fix the D without losing our depth down the middle.

OEL - By far the most likely option, and I would be willing to move Nurse + 2019 1st. He and Larsson together... drool.

Carlson - This one is the dream. Especially if the Oilers ends up with a high end forward in the draft this year. I'd be willing to use the 2019 first at this point to move out a bad contract if it were needed to make this work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->