Karlsson & Doughty: Who had the better career?

Who had the better career?

• Total voters

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
Probably the two best defensemen of the 10s. Both won the Norris, Karlsson did it twice. Doughty won two cups, but did it on the much better team. Who is/was better is another question and this one is who had the better career? (up to this point only)

Karlsson:
RS: 858GP-688P, -75
PO: 67GP-53P, +4
Norris: 1-1-2-2-7
Hart: 5-8-9-9

Doughty:
RS: 1035GP-577P, +34
PO: 84GP-51P, -3
Norris: 1-2-2-3-6-7-9-10
2 cups

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
They still have minimum 3 to 4 years left on their careers... how can we say?

Also they're both good players but lets not ignore Keith, Subban and Weber.

They all have a case, Keith has the strongest one IMO.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The one with two cups and gold medals mainly because of how good he was in all those competitions.

Career: Doughty (Cups + Olympic golds)
Player: Karlsson (Eye test & impact)

Hard to say “impact” when Doughty was the best player in one of the Olympic Golds for the Canadians and top three in each of the other championships.

Reactions: Frolov 6'3

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
The one with two cups and gold medals mainly because of how good he was in all those competitions.

Hard to say “impact” when Doughty was the best player in one of the Olympic Golds for the Canadians and top three in each of the other championships.
Impact meaning on the Sens. He was a one man show in 2017. They get ousted in round 1 without him.

FrankSidebottom

Mar 16, 2021
They still have minimum 3 to 4 years left on their careers... how can we say?

Also they're both good players but lets not ignore Keith, Subban and Weber.

They all have a case, Keith has the strongest one IMO.
Subban has absolutely no case in the world to be considered above Karlsson and Doughty, his career is like 1/3 of theirs. Weber is closer, but I think still clearly behind them. I’ll make a poll on the best defenseman of the 10s with Doughty, Karlsson, Keith and Weber.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
How is this even a question? The guy with 2 cups, Olympic golds and a Norris.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
@Raccoon Jesus

giphy.gif

While I'm here, Cale Makar wants an Adam Fox jersey for Christmas. :razz:

Reactions: Gurglesons

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Subban has absolutely no case in the world to be considered above Karlsson and Doughty, his career is like 1/3 of theirs. Weber is closer, but I think still clearly behind them. I’ll make a poll on the best defenseman of the 10s with Doughty, Karlsson, Keith and Weber.
Subban has a Norris, two as1, one as 2, a top 3 conn smythe, went to the finals and he was the best defender in the world from 13 to 15 IMO. He is also 3rd in the league in that decade for points in playoffs, something that is worth considering IMO, especially since the two above him played on very good teams (Letang and Keith) hes three points behind Letang and 13 behind Keith, all while playing less games.

Weber and Subban both have the same number of points in the 10s, Doughty has 21 more but with a .56 ppg vs .6 for the other two. Karlsson is obviously far and above all of them offensively.

They all have a case, and I should add that Burns and Letang also do have a case IMO.

Burns has the single-most dominant season of the 10s as a D, IMO.

Letang and Weber have consistency, I believe they have the most top 10 norris nods of all mentionned. 9 for Weber.

You know what? Hedman probably belongs here too. Im on my phone so I cant list all their cases, but I find it very tough to discern who was the best of the best.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
As far as better player...I think...I'm staying out of it.

If we're looking at "career" as a concept, I think it's fair to include team success in that, which would tip it towards Doughty.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Karlsson is easily the better player despite what the homer kings fans will say. But I voted Doughty because I am sure Karlsson will easily cash in a Norris or two for the team success Doughty was a part of

RANDOMH3RO

Jan 19, 2007
Doughty was so damn good in his cup runs. He played a different game than EK, but in 2012 I think he had a similar impact on the kings that EK had on the sens in their run in 2017. Overall it feels like a wash, karlsson had an incredible peak that I don’t think doughty matched unless it was in small samples.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
EK was more transcendent than Doughty but played on significantly worse teams.

It's a lot easier to do your job as a #1D when you are surrounded by 3 centers all capable of playing elite two-way hockey (Richards, Kopitar and Carter). Then you add in Sutter style hockey? Lmao, would love to have seen Doughty's career pan out if they switched places.

Reactions: Agent Zub

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
EK was more transcendent than Doughty but played on significantly worse teams.

It's a lot easier to do your job as a #1D when you are surrounded by 3 centers all capable of playing elite two-way hockey (Richards, Kopitar and Carter). Then you add in Sutter style hockey? Lmao, would love to have seen Doughty's career pan out if they switched places.

He would have been irrelevant compared to the hype he gets.

Through no fault of his own because all #1 d on bad teams struggle.

So it's that much more impressive what Karlsson was able to do.

Better player is no question obvious. But you can argue Doughty had better career due to team awards and injuries.

Signupnow

Oct 18, 2017

Ah you mean that Olympic where Karlsson was voted best defenceman and possibly the best player over all where he lead all players in scoring while not allowing a single goal against? I remember that one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad