Karjala Cup Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

eh

BruinsGirl said:
I am from former USSR (Ukraine) but never watched hockey back when I lived there. So after signing up for Ch1RU on Dish Network I decided to watch European hockey and was somewhat disappointed. Maybe it was just one game? ( Russia - Finland )

I was expecting nice passing, speed, smart use of the netural zone (absence of a red line). Instead of that it was boring enough game. Many players had unbelievable chances and couldn't finish to save their lives. 100000 errors on defense...

Why Eloranta and Bykov aren't playing in the NHL? I thought both were decent players?

I'd like to say it was just one game, but, to be honest, the EHT games rarely are any better than this. You have to remember that they are sort of pre-season games in the middle of the season: different players tried out in different roles and positions, trying to find chemistry between different linemates etc. These games have very little value other than giving the players some international experience and training for the World Championships.

Eloranta apparently didn't get the kind of contract offer he was expecting, so he's having a year off (more likely two) in Europe. He could be back, I too think he still has what it takes to be a third liner in the NHL.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
BruinsGirl said:
I was expecting nice passing, speed, smart use of the netural zone (absence of a red line).

That's what IIHF was expecting when they removed two-line offsides (redline). Unfortenately it's just worked the other way around. Now there is now smart way to use the neutral zone.

Slay

May 24, 2003
Krasnoyarsk
Sweden - Russia 0-2

Korolev (Bykov, Boykov)
Koukhdinov (Sushinsky, Korolev)

Penalties: 12-10
Shots: 22-38

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Douggy said:
So whats the format for this tournament? Each team plays each other once, then the top two play in the final?

No, each team plays each other once.

In Saturday's other game Finland beat the Czechs 5-1, helped largely by a strong 1st period (4-0). Finland's goalie Mika Lehto (Pens draft pick) only had to make 7 saves in the entire game. Jarkko Immonen was one of 3 Finns to score their first international goals.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
A few more stupid North American questions:
- There are four tournaments like this through out the season right? Each country hosts one?
- Two of these have now been played? Which ones remain?
- Who won this tournament? I haven't been able to find the standings in English anywhere.
- The Karjala Cup was in Finland, right?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Douggy said:
- There are four tournaments like this through out the season right? Each country hosts one?

Yup, 4 tournaments. Ceska Pojistovna (Czech Republic), Karjala Cup (Finland), Baltica Brewery Cup (Russia), Sweden Hockey Games (Sweden).

Douggy said:
- Two of these have now been played? Which ones remain?
Baltica Brewery Cup (December 18-21)
Sweden Hockey Games (February 5-8)

Douggy said:
- Who won this tournament? I haven't been able to find the standings in English anywhere.

Standings
1) Finland, 9 points
2) Czech Republic, 4 points
3) Russia, 4 points
4) Sweden, 1 point

Douggy said:
- The Karjala Cup was in Finland, right?
You bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad