Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen up, Fehr down

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
The negatives outweigh the positives. Almost every shift he's a liability.

Well if you are right, then we are stuck with him as no GM will trade for him.

Do you make it a habit to boo your own players for the season?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well if you are right, then we are stuck with him as no GM will trade for him.
JVR has entered scapegoat territory, where his flaws get magnified and his strengths dismissed. I don't quite agree with this assessment though.

JVR is a terrific offensive zone player, but a flawed defensive player who does not transition the puck well. To be perfectly utilized, he'd be: 1) on a team that needs offense enough to see him as an important player despite his flaws, 2) on a line with a center that can provide two-way strength, 3) playing a sheltered even strength role so that great players can't abuse him, and 4) on a team that have use of a terrific net-front presence on the PP.

There are plenty of teams out there that can put JVR in that position, and be very happy with what he can bring. We're not one of them. We have an abundance of offense on the team and in our depth, need stronger two-way players on the team, and to play on a sheltered role he'll be on a line with a center that accentuates his problems. I think it gets overlooked how much good he does for us on the PP though, and what a great fit he is on a Nylander line next season, theoretically.

My personal position is that I would love to see him retained on a great contract for that use. That's a pipe-dream though. Alternatively I'd hope we could trade him to a team that would value him higher than we do, but that's really not a given either.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
JVR has entered scapegoat territory, where his flaws get magnified and his strengths dismissed. I don't quite agree with this assessment though.

JVR is a terrific offensive zone player, but a flawed defensive player who does not transition the puck well. To be perfectly utilized, he'd be: 1) on a team that needs offense enough to see him as an important player despite his flaws, 2) on a line with a center that can provide two-way strength, 3) playing a sheltered even strength role so that great players can't abuse him, and 4) on a team that have use of a terrific net-front presence on the PP.

There are plenty of teams out there that can put JVR in that position, and be very happy with what he can bring. We're not one of them. We have an abundance of offense on the team and in our depth, need stronger two-way players on the team, and to play on a sheltered role he'll be on a line with a center that accentuates his problems. I think it gets overlooked how much good he does for us on the PP though, and what a great fit he is on a Nylander line next season, theoretically.

My personal position is that I would love to see him retained on a great contract for that use. That's a pipe-dream though. Alternatively I'd hope we could trade him to a team that would value him higher than we do, but that's really not a given either.

We have an abundance of offence at the NHL level.

We have the promise and hope of it as replacements in the minors.

We've been burned with promise and hope.

If we rid ourselves of proven offence and that minor league hope doesn't materialize, teams can key in on the remaining offence we do have and may find it easier to shut them down.

I agree with you on the scapegoat. Wonder who is next in line after Bozak and JVR?

Reactions: CelticDruid

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I have read a few of your posts..The term "Agenda" is likely hitting the nail on the head another poster used, Frankly i just think your a lot thin in the hockey dept. But hey "no biggy"....some people just like soft hockey.

What in the world are you talking about? "like soft hockey" "thin"? What does that even mean? Martin has been useless in the "grit" department but hey, let's just make up things as we go to make ourselves feel better.

We have much better players at our disposal. That's the only argument I've made. Whether you choose to accept that or not is your prerogative.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
We have an abundance of offence at the NHL level.

We have the promise and hope of it as replacements in the minors.

We've been burned with promise and hope.

If we rid ourselves of proven offence and that minor league hope doesn't materialize, teams can key in on the remaining offence we do have and may find it easier to shut them down.

I agree with you on the scapegoat. Wonder who is next in line after Bozak and JVR?

Reilly already seems to have a growing set of detractors.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

This is fair, and it's all about strengths and weaknesses. JVR would be a great addition to a team that needs scoring and is already defensively decent-to-strong

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Sit back and watch the game tonight. I expect Philidelphia to play more physical tonight simply because Martin is out of the game. It is going to be interesting to watch how the game evolves. Philidelphia is a team that is characterised as a "heavy team". Toronto is a "speed/skill" team.

Reactions: coupe93

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I'd prefer giving Kapanen another half season in the AHL where he can hone a consistent nightly effort every game. I have a real issue with the feast or famine nature of his effort. I think he's a Connor Brown level talent without the rock steady Connor Brown effort level.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Babcock admitted in his presser he didn't give Kapanen much opportunity last night. Really, he was just a IR replacement for Martin....Martin got banged up last game.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I'd prefer giving Kapanen another half season in the AHL where he can hone a consistent nightly effort every game. I have a real issue with the feast or famine nature of his effort. I think he's a Connor Brown level talent without the rock steady Connor Brown effort level.

He didn't impress in the pre-season and didn't earn a spot.
I'm not as high on him as others, but I've been dead wrong before :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->