Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen up, Fehr down

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
It would be nice if Bozak sat a game if JVR is out. I would like to see what a motivated line up, absent those 2, looks like with Kappy and Leivo in.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Komarov Kadri Brown
Marleau Marner Kapanen
Moore Bozak Leivo ..bad defensive players line

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Soshnikov has been the better Marlie this year. IMO

Johnson has also been quite good.

Kappy has the brightest NHL future but he hasn't been the most deserving of a promotion if there is one, other than last years playoffs earning him the 1st recall opportunity. He is also likely the replacement for JVR down the road.
Sosh has been solid in the AHL but IMO, Kappy has had the better NHL showing (albeit limited) at this point.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's very possible Martin is injured or at least not 100%, so Kapanen will probably get into a game or two.

Leaving for California trip, you usually bring a lot of insurance. It's retty clear that Fehr lost out on a spot and isn't going to be around much longer. Marlies don't play until next Wednesday, so it's not like Kapanen would miss playing for the Marlies a whole lot.

Playing Kapanen over Martin would be a massive upgrade.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Sosh has been solid in the AHL but IMO, Kappy has had the better NHL showing (albeit limited) at this point.

Sosh is likely a better 4th line fit, he would be ideal playing with Martin and Moore, where Kappy can play in the top 9 and as skilled forward.

If you're replacing an injured JVR than Kappy makes more sense on role and fit, so I get that.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They don't want to risk Soshnikov to waivers. It's a long road swing, and if Soshnikov plays more than 3 games, he'd have to go on waivers. Kapanen wouldn't.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It's very possible Martin is injured or at least not 100%, so Kapanen will probably get into a game or two.

Leaving for California trip, you usually bring a lot of insurance. It's retty clear that Fehr lost out on a spot and isn't going to be around much longer. Marlies don't play until next Wednesday, so it's not like Kapanen would miss playing for the Marlies a whole lot.

Playing Kapanen over Martin would be a massive upgrade.

Leafs will still want his size and toughness in the lineup every night though, and he has played pretty well this year. If we get Kapanen into the lineup full time, it'll be by way of moving out JvR, which in it's own ways would also be a massive upgrade.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Leivo-Moore-Kapanen that is a hell of a 4th line philly will struggle tonight against even our 4th line

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
This if ****ing awesome, with Martin out we no longer have a fourth line. Will we see Kapanen-Moore-Leivo? Looks like Marner will move back up the lineup, with Bozak and Marleau I think?

Reactions: glue and Leafs21

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
This if ****ing awesome, with Martin out we no longer have a fourth line. Will we see Kapanen-Moore-Leivo? Looks like Marner will move back up the lineup, with Bozak and Marleau I think?

Probably. Part of me wants Leivo and Kap on different lines though I think they will be hustling out there with potential to re-energize 2 lines. Babs definitely has some options tonight I think he may switch it up if he sees the lines aren’t working. Definitely pumped to see how it shakes down.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Leivo-Moore-Kapanen with JVR out of the line up? Why are we being blessed by the hockey gods?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs will still want his size and toughness in the lineup every night though, and he has played pretty well this year. If we get Kapanen into the lineup full time, it'll be by way of moving out JvR, which in it's own ways would also be a massive upgrade.

Toughness for what exactly? Has Martin done anything to really exhume toughness? Nothing really. 1 fight (I think?) which was hardly a fight and hardly any hits that shook up the other team. To me, he's been the most useless forward by a long mile. Make the 2 miles.

coupe93

Dec 15, 2009
I recall Martin going heavily into the boards after losing an edge during the Canes debacle. Was actually surprised he got up, and even more surprised he finished that game (he's tough). I'd say shoulder?

I'm in the minority here thinking Martin in the line-up brings an element to the team that is important, and can't necessarily be seen on a scorecard most nights. Certainly not happy seeing injuries to any player, but I am a little excited for Leivo and Kapanen potentially drawing in with some ice-time.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Toughness for what exactly? Has Martin done anything to really exhume toughness? Nothing really. 1 fight (I think?) which was hardly a fight and hardly any hits that shook up the other team. To me, he's been the most useless forward by a long mile. Make the 2 miles.

2 majors for fighting and won them both. 1 roughing because Andreoff wouldn't go him. When he's on the ice, the other team knows it. He's been great this year if you can see past your agenda.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad