Recalled/Assigned: Kapanen loaned to Marlies

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't know Mess well enough to know who is favourite prospect here is that is getting "steamrolled" by Kapanen -- is it Leivo? This is the only reason I can see one grasping at such straws and indirection to avoid the possibility that Kapanen has just been the BPA to bring in for depth.

Or maybe he just really hated the Kessel trade when it happened, so he/she's determined to **** all over anything that came out of it?

Yes it seems pretty clear that Kapanen is our best and most NHL ready forward on the Marlies and in most other organizations, he's be in the NHL by now. I'm not sure what Mess's problem is but the suggestion that he's getting some sort of preferential treatment seems way out there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't know Mess well enough to know who is favourite prospect here is that is getting "steamrolled" by Kapanen -- is it Leivo? This is the only reason I can see one grasping at such straws and indirection to avoid the possibility that Kapanen has just been the BPA to bring in for depth.

Or maybe he just really hated the Kessel trade when it happened, so he/she's determined to **** all over anything that came out of it?

Why are guys making mountains out of mole hills? Its really not a conspiracy theory or anything here.

Its really straight forward and quite simple.

Leafs traded away a marquee player in Kessel and in return got Kapanen and Harrington (now Rychel) and 1st as the main return.. As a result wouldn't it be in the organizations best interest to give Kappy every opportunity to succeed so that the organization looks good from a return on investment perspective. This is a benefit to Kapanen that he might get more and longer looks to show what he can do, because if he busts or he doesn't get a fair opportunity then it would reflect poorly on the trade that brought him here and the cost at which as well.

The bigger the impact Kappy makes the better the trade looks for the Leafs. Nobody is getting cheated/slighted here. Its in everyone's (management, player and fans) best interest if Kapanen is a huge success story.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Why are guys making mountains out of mole hills? Its really not a conspiracy theory or anything here.

Leafs traded away a marquee player in Kessel and in return got Kapanen and Harrington (now Rychel) and 1st as the main return.. As a result wouldn't it be in the organizations best interest to give Kappy every opportunity to succeed so that the organization looks good from a return on investment perspective. This is a benefit to Kapanen that he might get more and longer looks to show what he can do, because if he busts or he doesn't get a fair opportunity then it would reflect poorly on the trade that brought him here and the cost at which as well.

:laugh::laugh:

You're the one who's manufacturing this cynical conspiracy theory out of thin air, how do you not see this?

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

The bigger the impact Kappy makes the better the trade looks for the Leafs. Nobody is getting cheated/slighted here.
I would think the Leafs were more concerned with being the best team than they are about the optics of a trade. Worrying that much about how your return looks to outsiders is the kind of neurotic crap you'd expect message-board fanatics to do, not the brain-trusts of multi-billion-dollar corporations. You really think Babcock or Lamoriello give a damn about the Kessel trade?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011

The bigger the impact Kappy makes the better the trade looks for the Leafs. Nobody is getting cheated/slighted here. Its in everyone's (management, player and fans) best interest if Kapanen is a huge success story.

It actually is a conspiracy theory.

con·spir·a·cy /kənˈspirəsē/ - a secret plan by a group to do something unlawful or harmful.

1. Is it secret? Yes, they have not spoke about this being the plan. Instead, they speak of making decisions in interest of winning games.
2. Is it a group? Yes, the following people at a minimum would likely need to be conspiring to not bring the best player up: Babcock, Dubas, Keefe, Lou. Given this is in motivation of PR of the club, then it would likely also need to be a directive from Shanahan, who likely has a stake in the PR of the TML brand
3. Is it harmful? Yes, it would not only reduce chances of winning now, but harm the morale of players who TML management believes deserves the shot more, and would prosper more.

So, it is a conspiracy theory. Like many conspiracies, it's hilarious that this can be thought to be the situation, as opposed to the scenario that is actually "straight forward and quite simple", which is that Kapanen was the best player to bring in for those games.

garyjones93

Jun 2, 2012

:laugh::laugh:

You're the one who's manufacturing this cynical conspiracy theory out of thin air, how do you not see this?

I would think the Leafs were more concerned with being the best team than they are about the optics of a trade. Worrying that much about how your return looks to outsiders is the kind of neurotic crap you'd expect message-board fanatics to do, not the brain-trusts of multi-billion-dollar corporations. You really think Babcock or Lamoriello give a damn about the Kessel trade?

Part of the value of both Kessel trade and Phaneuf Trade was that we bottomed out and had best chance at Matthews which we got. Kessel had to go ( I like him and never hated him on the Leafs) but he had to go for both the culture shift and the tank. The more we got for him the better. What we got worked out pretty well, could we have gotten more maybe. However the change in culture is much more value than anything in the trade, and yes Kapenen will be a good player in this league, but he doesn't need to be rushed in. Calm down and just enjoy in.

First time in years I have no problem with anything this management team does, I trust them 100%. Yes the better Kapenen does is jut gravy on top. I still see a slight roster mix up in the next year or two, and we will see how Kapenen makes with that opportunity.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Imagine how much people would be freaking out about our cap structure moving forward if we still had 4 and a half more seasons of $8M Kessel on the books.

Also, I believe it was Shanahan who orchestrated the Kessel trade, not Dubas or Hunter. There was a better article I'd found previously where Rutherford mentioned his back-and-forths with Shanahan, but I can't find it now.
Brendan Shanahan Addresses the Media on Phil Kessel Trade | Maple Leafs Hotstove

Regarding Kapanen, I'm not concerned about the time in the A - He's a long-term option for us, and someone that can step in as soon as one of our UFAs is moved out. Speed to burn, a hell of a shot, and a willingness to get into the corners and be responsible defensively. Even if he can't replace JVR's production, he brings elements that we could always use more of, and could help provide further offensive depth in the lineup if he's eased in.

That's a good question for this year and last. Last I checked Phil has won 2 cups with Pitts. and is leading that team in scoring this year.

I wonder how well TO might have done in the playoffs last year with Phil?

Lines: Hymen/Matthews/Kessel
Leo/Kadri/Nylander
JVR/Bozak/Brown

For me that would have been an even better lineup to face Wash. and able to go further It would be about the same again this year.

And the kicker in this, Phil is probably as valuable if not more so than he was when TO traded him.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's a good question for this year and last. Last I checked Phil has won 2 cups with Pitts. and is leading that team in scoring this year.

Leo/Kadri/Nylander
JVR/Bozak/Brown

For me that would have been an even better lineup to face Wash. and able to go further It would be about the same again this year.

And the kicker in this, Phil is probably as valuable if not more so than he was when TO traded him.

It’s unlikely Matthews is on the team if we have Kessel. Also, having Kessel is fine for Matthews ELC but it’s a hazard afterward.

Also, when adding Kessel back to the team, you need to remove $6m in salary elsewhere. We’re marginally better with Phil than without. We had no issues scoring goals last year and that’s the only place Phil contributes.

Reactions: weems

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Kappy is annoying. Not because he is bad but because he is not playing. We are saddled with Moore and Martin it just disgusting as they rocking league worst stats.,

weems

Jul 3, 2008

Leo/Kadri/Nylander
JVR/Bozak/Brown

Where did Marner go?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad