Kansas City Scouts

Rometiklan

Mar 7, 2009
Wilf Paiement never scored 50 goals in a season and he never had 100 points in a season, so maybe he doesn't get the attention he deserves. A guy with his size and his willingness to use it - who can score 30 goals a season and pick up a point a game - is precisely the kind of player every coach wants. A guy like Paiement was ideal for riding shotgun on a line with two offensive forwards who did not share Wilf's relish for physical play. Think of Vic Hadfield with a little more height and weight, and you've got Wilf Paiement.

Wilf Paiement, the original #99.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
The only game footage of the Scouts I've ever seen is the following YouTube video. It's about the North Stars but they are playing the Scouts so you get to see glimpses.

Reactions: Killion

Wetcoaster

All-time roster can be found at IHDB - search the team name, then choose all-time roster.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/teams.html

Chuck Arnason
Mike Baumgartner
Gary Bergman
Mike Boland
Henry Boucha
Doug Buhr
Glen Burdon
Robin Burns
Don Cairns
Guy Charron
Gary Coalter
Bart Crashley
Gary Croteau
Butch Deadmarsh
Norm Dube
Denis Dupere
Steve Durbano
Chris Evans
Germain Gagnon
Ed Gilbert
Larry Giroux
Fred "Buster" Harvey
Hugh Harvey
Denis Herron
Doug Horbul
Claude Houde
Dave Hudson
Brent Hughes
Larry Johnston
Jean-Guy Lagace
Bryan Lefley
Hank Lehvonen
Roger Lemelin
Richard Lemieux
Terry McDonald
Peter McDuffe
Jim McElmury
Bill McKenzie
Ken Murray
Simon Nolet
Bill Oleschuk
Wilf Paiement
Craig Patrick
Dennis Patterson
Michel Plasse
Lynn Powis
Phil Roberto
Randy Rota
Ted Snell
John Wright

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Wilf Paiement was probably the all-star in this cast. There were 6-7 decent NHL players around as well.

The Scouts were another one of those teams that really didn't understand the importance of the amateur draft. The one transaction that always stands out for me is when they traded 1974 draft pick Bob Bourne to the Islanders in exchange for a couple of guys nobody really remembers.

Reactions: Troy Treasure

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Ouch - in that Northstars video, they show a quick glimpse at the scoreboard: Northstars 9, Scouts 3. Then another goal was scored right after that so Minny had to have at least 10!

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Career wise, Paiement and Herron are the class of this group. Both could have had important roles on just about any team in the NHL. Herron would be a starter or backup on just about any team in the NHL and Paiement was good enough for the top two lines on any team.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Can anyone tell me what the team was like? I know they only lasted two years.

They were bad as an expansion team should be. Finished second last in the league in 74-75 ahead of Washington at 15-54-11. Second last again in 75-76 with an even worse record than their first year. Guy Charron was their best forward and Gary Bergman their best defenseman. Wilf Paiement is the best player to have begun his career as a Scout.

They relocated to Colorado where they were the Rockies but they never had any real success until moving to New Jersey becoming the Devils.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
They are a team lost to time and history because in spite of how bad they were, they were overshadowed by the worst team of all time, the first-year Capitals, whom they joined the league with. The Caps got all the press. While the Scouts were losing 5-1, the Caps were losing 10-1!!

Imagine going 15-54-11 and not being the worst team! They allowed 328 goals but Washington allowed 118 more!! Their biggest game the first year was a 3-2 win in Boston. They beat the Caps three times and the Seals twice, which as you can imagine, caused me a bit of distress.:cry:

They were even worse their second year at 12-56-12, but again Washington was 11-59-10, 4 points worse. And the Caps still allowed 43 more goals. Former Seals Gary Croteau and Craig Patrick played major roles, and Denis Dupere was there for 43 games after being on Washington the previous year! These guys must have been wondering what they did to deserve such a fate!

On that second year team, you had Steve Durbano amassing 209 penalty minutes in only 37 games!

They did beat Boston again 3-2 on the road, as well as beating the Rangers at the Garden. And there was a 6-5 home win over Montreal. And 2 more wins over the Seals, which aggravated me to no end.

After beating Washington on February 7, they didn't win another game the rest of the way, going 0-21-5!!:help:

They weren't even remembered for their poor attendance, because while they were averaging 7,000/game, the Seals were worse at 6,000 game.

When it came to being bad, they were always second-best.:)

87SidKid87

Apr 21, 2018
47319838_10156453930550783_4061519060205043712_n.jpg
Dave Bergman KC SCOUTS
47319838_10156453930550783_4061519060205043712_n.jpg

87SidKid87

Apr 21, 2018
I've always liked that logo. Would be neat to see the NHL there again (Before my time) but I doubt it.
Sadly; only by the relocation of either Florida or Carolina - hope so as well. They were never given a chance the first time around. Would love to see them back in the NHL

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Who would have thought back in 74, Washington and Kansas City, record breaking losing and franchise relocation, twice for the ill fated Scouts, and now the two franchises have 4 Cups between them. I didn't see it coming as a 9 yr old!:DD

The other void of the franchise history would be the time spent in Colorado, though some stories abound about Donald S Cherry. :rolleyes:

Odd note, both Kansas City and the Boston Bruins were coached by Bep Guidolin and subsequently Don Cherry.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Poor Craig Patrick (#14 in the clip against the North Stars above)... wanted to smash his stick over the net after the 10th goal... probably thinking, "didn't I have enough of this crap with the Seals?!"

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Unfortunately, there are only a few complete WHA games that survived. The CTV archive would not have any. In fact, there is no CTV archive of any hockey games - WHA or NHL. The only complete game with Gretzky in the WHA is the final Avco Cup game. The NHL had no gripe with the WHA - most of the people working at the NHL weren't even around when the WHA was in existence - 30 years ago is a long time. It's a non issue.

If you are a WHA fan, then buy the WHA DVD set that is slated for release in the fall.

It's too bad but you won't be seeing any more 'new' classic games from the 70's because there are very few to show. And it had nothing to do with the Scouts and Rockies not being major draws. I don't know why people here think there is a conspiracy regarding certain teams and the WHA when there are more rational reasons to explain things.

Simply, the games from the 70's weren't preserved - not just the defunct teams.

And disregard the poster who keeps floating the rumour about the Kansas City Scouts games - that rumour is over 15 years old and has absolutely no basis in fact.

Sadly in both Edmonton and the peg there was a massive purging in about 80. My cousin work for CITV in Edmonton and due to copywrite laws and how the they were viewed stored games of the WHA had to be destroyed and once the lawyers got involved they were nuked

Reactions: SealsFan

Vanzig

Aug 6, 2018
Vancouver, B.C.
Denis Herron

Here is Denis Herron who was the goaltender for the scouts.he was a good goalie just like Gilles Meloche of the california seals but played on bad teams. Herron also played for pittsburgh and montreal.

The problem with (D. HERRON, G. MELOCHE, D. BOUCHARD) is they were on some WEAK *ss Teams for Most their Career!!!
I mean not all of their career was bad they had some great moments but expansion teams and crappy teams they played on hurt their “STAT’S/NUMBERS”

When I met PATRICK ROY I asked him who is IDOL was growing up for Goalie’s and he said “DAN BOUCHARD”.

Reactions: Tarantula

PEIslander

Apr 20, 2013
So why exactly did the Scouts relocate to Colorado after only two years? I'm guessing money was a key factor, but did the NHL just not do their due diligence on checking out the owner(s) before awarding a franchise? Two years seems pretty quick to give up. I guess the NHL didn't care as much in the 70's about franchise's relocating or folding (Cleveland Barons) as they do now.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
So why exactly did the Scouts relocate to Colorado after only two years? I'm guessing money was a key factor, but did the NHL just not do their due diligence on checking out the owner(s) before awarding a franchise? Two years seems pretty quick to give up. I guess the NHL didn't care as much in the 70's about franchise's relocating or folding (Cleveland Barons) as they do now.

I'm wondering if they just hurried in there because of the perceived WHA threat. That they may get to the market first

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Wilf Paiement

Here is Wilf Paiement who was the big star for the scouts there 2 years in kansas city. he scored the only scouts hat trick in there history against montreal at the kemper arena.he also moved with the team to colorado for the 1976-77 NHL season.
This sucker also played with my father in the minors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad