Kansas City Penguins?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Bobby Ryan Getzlaf said:
There's pretty much speculation the Pens will move to any hockey center. A couple years back I was in Winnipeg and a little kiosk in a mall was selling Winnipeg Penguins merchandise. Now, maybe there's a Winnipeg Penguins Jr.B team, or something like that, but otherwise, that's a pretty ballsy move.

Many peggers are dilusional... what else can you say...

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Allegheny County has roughly 2.2 million residents...but whats the average age?

Only Dade County, Florida, has a higher age rate than Allegheny.

That plays alot in.

Claypool_*

Skworch said:
You doubt that the thugs of the NHLPA couldn't convince these knuckle draggers to do for the greater good of the PA? :biglaugh:

considering how much the PA cost the players with the lockout, no, I don't.

Transported Upstater

Tjardus Greidanus said:
Allegheny County has roughly 2.2 million residents...but whats the average age?

Only Dade County, Florida, has a higher age rate than Allegheny.

That plays alot in.

I can't hear you, I need to go clean my hearing aid :D

HughJass*

I just find it unprofessional for a President of NHL club to be even mentioning another NHL club move just for his own benefit. Someone needs to say something to that guy.

He's just fueling the rhetoric. :deadhorse

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Storminator16 said:
I just find it unprofessional for a President of NHL club to be even mentioning another NHL club move just for his own benefit. Someone needs to say something to that guy.

He's just fueling the rhetoric. :deadhorse

Yes, but finally some substance to fuel the expansion/relocation/non-traditional-markets-suck threads of the week. Hey man, these guys in KC are playing some hardball, talking it up and being agressive. If not the Penguins then it could be another team as this article puts a bug in the ear of some owners.

This is just a quick armchair analysis of the situation, the arena isn't completed yet correct? Has ground even been broken? What 'bout the NBA?

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
vespajet said:
I think Kansas City has a better chance of getting the Blues to relocate to KC than they do the Pens.......
Only if someone is willing to pay the $62 million due on the bonds that financed Savvis - the Blues are the collateral on the bonds, if the Blues get moved the bonds become payable immediately. Then there's the whole "NHL has to approve the move" issue, and I don't think the BoG approves that move.

If they do, St. Louis immediately jumps to the top of the list of places for an expansion franchise assuming no one else moves a team there first. The city has no problem supporting a hockey team - they've had a much bigger problem with poor ownership groups over the years.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Squiddy said:
The Sprint Center is a beute... they are ALREADY advertising it as a hockey arena... wow.. the nerve...

Are they advertising it as a "hockey arena", or an "NHL arena"?

I don't see what's so "nervy" about calling it a hockey arena. I'm sure you'll enlighten us, though.

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
There was an article about this article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and hers a part I don't get:

Other possible tenants for the Kansas City arena are the Nashville Predators of the NHL and the Orlando Magic and New Orleans Hornets of the NBA.

Are the Preds in danger of leaving?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Verbeek said:
There was an article about this article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, and hers a part I don't get:

I don't think so, at least not as long as Leipold owns the franchise. I think the author of that article is a regular on the relocation/contraction threads on HFBoards. *sarcasm*

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
AdmiralPred said:
I don't think so, at least not as long as Leipold owns the franchise. I think the author of that article is a regular on the relocation/contraction threads on HFBoards. *sarcasm*
The authors of the recent Forbes article seems to think that viability of the Predators franchise may be questionable (to a slight degree).

That's not to say the Predators are not viable, but it seems that are some concerns (at least in the eyes of two journalists).

Last edited:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
Verbeek said:

They can't be. There's a salary cap now, and it enables all teams(except Pittsburgh, they're special and the rules don't apply to them) to be financially healthy

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
hockeytown9321 said:
They can't be. There's a salary cap now, and it enables all teams(except Pittsburgh, they're special and the rules don't apply to them) to be financially healthy
Alright already. We know that Bettman (and the penguins) lied when they said "all we need is a cap to be competitive". If you're so personally offended, take it up with them and stop posting the same message over and over. Or come up with something new.

Little Wing

Jul 17, 2004
Desert-ed
DJmastamind said:
As someone said before, The city of Pittsburgh will come through with a new arena. This city is crazy for the Penguins and Sidney, the atmosphere here has been incredible.

Also a new mayor just got elected here, one who I believe will work as hard as possible to keep the Pens in Pittsburgh.

Would hate to think that a mayor has enough time in their grueling schedule to worry about what happens with a sports franchise.
If your mayor works as hard a possible to keep the penguins in Pa., then he will be sacraficing his time to help citizens in that community who have bigger and better needs than watching hockey. And if he does spend time working as hard as possible on that menial of an agenda, i hope he never runs for bigger office, because that would be a tell tale sign of screwed up his priorities are.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
rocky hockey said:
Would hate to think that a mayor has enough time in their grueling schedule to worry about what happens with a sports franchise.
If your mayor works as hard a possible to keep the penguins in Pa., then he will be sacraficing his time to help citizens in that community who have bigger and better needs than watching hockey. And if he does spend time working as hard as possible on that menial of an agenda, i hope he never runs for bigger office, because that would be a tell tale sign of screwed up his priorities are.
I admire your values, but let's face it: any politician's first priority is getting votes. If this is the right bandwagon for Pittsburgh, any politician will hop on with both feet.

Transported Upstater

jamiebez said:
I admire your values, but let's face it: any politician's first priority is getting votes. If this is the right bandwagon for Pittsburgh, any politician will hop on with both feet.

+1

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Verbeek said:

No but they or Carolina are always mentioned because reporters don't research eithers situations/arena deals

Transported Upstater

Gnashville said:
No but they or Carolina are always mentioned because reporters don't research eithers situations/arena deals

:handclap: :clap:

Verbeek

Human see, human do.
Jul 19, 2005
Pittsburgh
rocky hockey said:

If a town loses a pro team, it loses creditability as well as money and jobs. So this should be an issue mayors look at.

SedinFan*

Verbeek said:

If they keep their attendance like the way it is...yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->