Kansas City draws attention from NHL team owners

puckhead103*

i wonder who were those "three prominent people" to look at kansas city's new arena...

“There are two or three prominent people within the league who have asked to come look at the arena. They want to see the building, they’ve heard rave reviews about it, and they want to get comfortable with the marketplace, because they’re not convinced the marketplace works

the EIG from edmonton, Wang, or the people from calgary?

all of those cities are clamoring for new arenas.....and those arenas may not be built due taxpayer pressure....

i may be wrong....

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
You can eliminate Edmonton and Calgary immediately. Neither team is looking to move, neither team is even in any danger, and neither team expects taxpayer support for their new arenas, which both teams are already in the planning stages of building.

Resolute

Mar 4, 2005
AB
Indeed. I'll let both teams disabuse you of the illusion that no tax payer funded arena = team relocating themselves.

Edit to add: your shortsightedness fails to realize that the long term need for an arena in Calgary/Edmonton does not argue a short term desire to move. Any team looking at KC today is looking to move in the near future. Simple logic alone defeats your theory.

Last edited:

Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Florida is the only team I could see moving anymore... besides Nashville of course.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
How is it that Tim Leiweke will manage the Spirit Center, is governor of the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings, and also a member of the league’s expansion committee?

Sounds like a big conflict of interest 'menage a trois' to me.

undraftedstlouis

Sep 11, 2004
How is it that Tim Leiweke will manage the Spirit Center, is governor of the NHL’s Los Angeles Kings, and also a member of the league’s expansion committee?

Sounds like a big conflict of interest 'menage a trois' to me.

Apparently it's shrewd positioning by AEG though I'd question the NHL letting one team's owner be the landlord for another team.

Fugu

Apparently it's shrewd positioning by AEG though I'd question the NHL letting one team's owner be the landlord for another team.

This "news piece" was written before the meeting ever took place. Note the guy putting the spin on it - as others have mentioned - has a pretty clear interest in having it go through. This is not news. At least there are governors who think KC might be a bit of a risk. Oh really?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->