Kane with 4 goals and 3 assists tonight!!!

OHLArenaGuide

it's dot com
Dec 4, 2003
London, ON
www.ohlarenaguide.com
He obviously had an insane game, but it should be put into perspective. It was against the last place team in the league, on the last weekend of the regular season. And knowing his coach, he and the other 4 regular PP unit were probably on the ice in the last 5 minutes in a blowout game.

I'm not trying to take anything away from his skill - he's amazing. But his stats are higher than they'd be if he were playing with another team or coach.

Not disagreeing with you, but I'll point out for the record that it's not like the game was meaningless - London needed a point to clinch first in the division. I doubt he'll make the trip to Erie tonight.

Thornton97

Nov 18, 2004
Carrollton, TX
He hasnt proven himself at every level...he hasnt scored a single point in the NHL or AHL.

Well when the phrase "he ought to go #1" is in what you quoted--in reference to the NHL draft--it isn't a great surprise that he hasn't scored yet in the league, right?

Looking for a reason to post, eh? Get that post count up! People will begin to believe you when you reach 1,000.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
There's some validity to WHL Follower's point. Certainly not about Gillies scoring 120 points, but about Kane's point totals being inflated by the ice time that Dale Hunter gives him. In particular, I refere to Hunter's habit of leaving Kane out there for the entire two minutes of a power play and for playing him late in the game on power plays when the game is already in hand.

That simply means that he's good enough to earn that ice time which is just as impressive as scoring all the points. :teach:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He hasnt proven himself at every level...he hasnt scored a single point in the NHL or AHL.

Let's not split hairs here; it's pretty cut-and-dried that if someone's talking about a player who has yet to be drafted, "every level" refers to every level that he's had an opportunity to play at, i.e. not the AHL or NHL.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Not disagreeing with you, but I'll point out for the record that it's not like the game was meaningless - London needed a point to clinch first in the division. I doubt he'll make the trip to Erie tonight.

Considering that a win tonight means first overall, yet a loss means a probable second place finish to plymouth - I'd say he should be making the trip tonight.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Considering that a win tonight means first overall, yet a loss means a probable second place finish to plymouth - I'd say he should be making the trip tonight.

Game is huge tonight, if London wins they can't see Plymouth or Kitchener until the 3rd round. (should they make it that far)

They have to send a 'good' team to Erie tonight. Although OHLAG may be right, it may not be the best team that makes the trip. It is Erie afterall, a calculated risk.

timlap

Jun 19, 2002
That simply means that he's good enough to earn that ice time which is just as impressive as scoring all the points. :teach:

Everyone agrees that it's impressive. But it must be admitted that coaching philosophy is a factor as well. After all, every season there are a few guys in London "good enough to earn that ice time."

I like Kane though, second overall if not first.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
Took the words from my mouth.

Kane is going to be a scorer in the NHL, not a checker. Who cares if he is defensively aware, teach him. I think he's the best players available in this draft year, but it's all going to depend on who's making the first pick. Schremp is a really bad comparable because he's not nearly as quick as Kane is.

IMO Philly would take Kane. Edmonton would take Kane. Columbus would take Turris. Chicago would take Kane. Washington would potentially trade down to add depth, and still get a valuble guy like Alzner. Phoenix would take Kane or Turris.

I think there will be a lot of movement at the top of the draft.
In my opinion Chicago would take Turris...

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
hoping the Flyers get this guy im really impressed y his numbers and and the video ive seen of him. I understand that he is playing against the worst team but to have a 7 point game is still really good and those stats are amaizing.

ISS Hockey

Top30 Draft Rankings

Of course he's good enough to earn the ice time, but so are many other players on other teams.

What it means is that Dale Hunter's coaching philosophy boosts his point totals because he throws his top players out there for a ton of ice time. it's similar to what Tampa does with St. Louis, Lecavalier and Richards what Atlanta does with Kovalchuk, Hossa and Kozlov.

As I said in my earlier post, This does not diminish Kane's skills. Some people, though will make their assessment of Kane based solely on his impressive point totals and perhaps overrate his abilities based on that. There is more to assessing a player than their points in junior and when a player is used an inordinate amount of time on the power play, it gets noticed by scouts. We noticed it earlier in the season. However, we still have Kane ranked No. 2.

My point? Be careful not to overrate Kane simply because of his stats. If he doesn't end up with an NHL team whose coach uses him the same way Hunter does, it might affect his production -- his production, I stress, not his abilities.

Kane has developed a good habit disproving doubters and working on the deficiencies in his game. It's going to be interesting to watch him the next couple of years and see what kind of impact he can make in the pros.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
7 points is not a kick in the bucket. This isn't the Q...

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
kane did make the trip for the erie game- seeing mostly pp time and is dangling big time...he looks alot more confident then pre-wjc. hes freakin QUICK.

edit: hes already got a couple of apples tonite.

Last edited:

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
The real reason they had him out there that much is London is paying Erie back for the hit on Sam Gagner which gave him a concussion... also Kane was chasing a London Knights record of goals in a season held by Dave Lowry at 60 I believe Kane wanted to beat that...

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
Of course he's good enough to earn the ice time, but so are many other players on other teams.

What it means is that Dale Hunter's coaching philosophy boosts his point totals because he throws his top players out there for a ton of ice time. it's similar to what Tampa does with St. Louis, Lecavalier and Richards what Atlanta does with Kovalchuk, Hossa and Kozlov.

As I said in my earlier post, This does not diminish Kane's skills. Some people, though will make their assessment of Kane based solely on his impressive point totals and perhaps overrate his abilities based on that. There is more to assessing a player than their points in junior and when a player is used an inordinate amount of time on the power play, it gets noticed by scouts. We noticed it earlier in the season. However, we still have Kane ranked No. 2.

My point? Be careful not to overrate Kane simply because of his stats. If he doesn't end up with an NHL team whose coach uses him the same way Hunter does, it might affect his production -- his production, I stress, not his abilities.

Kane has developed a good habit disproving doubters and working on the deficiencies in his game. It's going to be interesting to watch him the next couple of years and see what kind of impact he can make in the pros.

Hey ISS, what's your opinion of where he'll play next year? He obviously has nothing more to prove in the OHL, and would it just stunt his growth if he went back to London next year? He would have to play in either the OHL or the NHL, not the AHL, right? I'm a Flyers fan, so I'm interested to see if they'd pick him, and immediately insert him into the lineup, or if they'd opt to pick Turris, who can spend a few years at Wisconsin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->