Kane trade talks heating up, what would you want in return?

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
I'd really like to get Andersson or Fox from Calgary. Was pissed when Fox went a few spots before our 3rd pick in 2016.

But I'm expecting something like the standard 1st + 2nd (or 3rd) + b prospect.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I'd really like to get Andersson or Fox from Calgary. Was pissed when Fox went a few spots before our 3rd pick in 2016.

That would probably be a 3rd/4th rather than 2nd/3rd. Doubt you will find any teams willing to give up 1st+B prospect+2nd

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
if Botterill were to acquire a 1st round pick, a prospect, and a conditional for a rental player i'd be very pleased. If he somehow brings back more....i'd be ecstatic.

The blues won't give up much. I think they are one of the strongest cup contenders in the league, and like someone already said, cup hopefuls don't give up defensemen.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I've changed my tune.
We need him when we make the playoffs. Next year. Tired of picks that might pan out 3 years from now.
Try to lock him up now. At least try.... Maybe he likes this team????

5 Years - 6.5 million. Cap is going up, try to move Okposo instead.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Nothing about getting a late 1st and a meh prospect excites me. I hope he is included in a bigger trade.

Look at the #20-#30 draft picks from 2013 - 2015. You get "top 10" or even "top 5" quality in the back third of the first round if you can draft well.

Not that the Sabres tend to draft well...

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Look at the #20-#30 draft picks from 2013 - 2015. You get "top 10" or even "top 5" quality in the back third of the first round if you can draft well.

Not that the Sabres tend to draft well...
I still would rather pick the prospect than wait on a late 1st. Our team needs bodies sooner rather than later. They don't need to necessarily contribute for a cup run right away, but not being 5 years down the line is great.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Top 10 potential Kane trade prospects from STL, ANA, CGY, and SJ

The "unlikely" but we can hope tier:

1. Jacob Larsson - D - ANA
Availability: Low
This is the pipedream... Buffalo adds. If by some stroke of crazy luck, it was possible that Larsson was available... I add whatever they want within reason.

2. Rasmus Andersson - D - CGY
Availability: Medium
This is the best case scenario. Calgary's depth of D prospects is a fertile shopping ground. Assuming Valimaki is a complete non-starter, Anderson is the best option. We may need to add... and that's ok.

3. Tage Thompson W - STL
Swinging for a homerun. This is a personal preference. This guy is going to single handedly make a PP productive someday.

The very realistic tier:
These guys probably come along with a 1st/2nd.

4. Adam Fox - D - CGY
Availability: High
Stashed safely at Harvard. No need to rush.

5. Oliver Kylington - D - CGY
I was super high on Kylington through his draft year, and while his development has been slow, it's been consistent.

6. Marcus Pettersson - D - St Louis
Play the long game. Pettersson has stud like qualities. His D zone game was a mess in his draft year. But you look at his size and wingspan, and how he moves... and you think, boy if this guy could put it all together....

The "High risk/High Reward" Tier:
These guys probably aren't available... but you never know...

7. Jordan Kyrou - C/W - St Louis
Kyrou has certainly lifted his value since being drafted. One of my personal targets in the draft. Would love to get him

8. Jordan Schmaltz - D - St Louis
NHL ready.

The "Simple" Tier:

9. Danny O'regan - W - SJ
I think Jack Eichel would approve

10. Tim Heed - D - SJ
He's not a prospect anymore... but I want him, so....

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Nothing about getting a late 1st and a meh prospect excites me. I hope he is included in a bigger trade.

Same, I need to be getting more then a meh prospect. I want a Tage Thompson, or Valimaki. If that’s not possible then it needs to be a couple picks and a prospect.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I want to find the Gourde/Dotchin package on another team....

If last year, if we had a top rental to trade... and a tampa fan was offering Gourde, Dotchin, 2nd.... I imagine we'd ALL be laughing at the offer... a year later, and both of them are key contributors on the best team in the league.

Gourde was a UDFA, Dotchin a 6th rounder, they were just beginning to sniff the NHL.... whenever we go hunting for trade offers its a merry go round of former 1st rounders we want in return.

anyways....

Danny O'regan W was a 5th rounder, largely thanks to a season playing with Jack Eichel. He returned for his senior season, and kept up nearly the same scoring pace. Last year, he debuted in the AHL and nearly went a point per game... and he's doing it again this year.

He's small, underrated... but he can play.

Tim Heed D was a 5th rounder in 2010.... yea... he's been on the long curver for development. But it's paid off. He's been in Sweden/SHL for years. He finally came over last year and was a monster in the AHL, with 56 points in 55 games from the backend. This year, he's got 10 pts in 20 games for San Jose.

O'regan, Heed, and a pick for Kane

It's not flashy... but it works.

Reactions: Chainshot

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005

If last year, if we had a top rental to trade... and a tampa fan was offering Gourde, Dotchin, 2nd.... I imagine we'd ALL be laughing at the offer... a year later, and both of them are key contributors on the best team in the league.

Gourde was a UDFA, Dotchin a 6th rounder, they were just beginning to sniff the NHL.... whenever we go hunting for trade offers its a merry go round of former 1st rounders we want in return.

anyways....

Danny O'regan W was a 5th rounder, largely thanks to a season playing with Jack Eichel. He returned for his senior season, and kept up nearly the same scoring pace. Last year, he debuted in the AHL and nearly went a point per game... and he's doing it again this year.

Tim Heed D was a 5th rounder in 2010.... yea... he's been on the long curver for development. But it's paid off. He's been in Sweden/SHL for years. He finally came over last year and was a monster in the AHL, with 56 points in 55 games from the backend. This year, he's got 10 pts in 20 games for San Jose.

I would be happy with that sort of deal. We really need bodies of players who aren't just somebody else's busts or locker room problems. FInding guys who haven't made the final jump, but have no red flags, are a way of doing that.

Especially if you can acquire quantity. Team needs competition.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Calgary is already out their 2018 1st and 2019 2nd, so any deal we'd make with them would almost certainly have prospects/players coming back.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015

anyways....

I like it, just read about both players and having 3 players from from the same college can't hurt.

What kind of pick would be fair for them to add? They lack a 2nd & 3rd in 2018

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Let's be realistic here
Kane is a problem in the locker room,"a cancer" per former teamate. He has been very streaky and looked bad when we played you guys. He will strictly be considered a rental and will be seeking ufa money. He is a lw and the blues #1 need is rw/c rhanded shot. On top of all that you want vine Dunn. Who killed it first year in ahl with 13g 32a 45pt +15 and the following year beat out seveal people out of training camp for spot as a 20 year old rookie. He has been playing fantastically so much that when jaybo came back from injury gunner and bots where sitting. Your not getting this kid "future top2" for a rental/locker room cancer. Just isn't happening besides he doesn't fit a need

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Let's be realistic here
Kane is a problem in the locker room,"a cancer" per former teamate. He has been very streaky and looked bad when we played you guys. He will strictly be considered a rental and will be seeking ufa money. He is a lw and the blues #1 need is rw/c rhanded shot. On top of all that you want vine Dunn. Who killed it first year in ahl with 13g 32a 45pt +15 and the following year beat out seveal people out of training camp for spot as a 20 year old rookie. He has been playing fantastically so much that when jaybo came back from injury gunner and bots where sitting. Your not getting this kid "future top2" for a rental/locker room cancer. Just isn't happening besides he doesn't fit a need
Besides over valuing your own prospect you know absolutely nothing about the E. Kane of the last 1.5 seasons. From all accounts he’s been a fine teammate and citizen. So take that ignorance somewhere else

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Let's be realistic here
Kane is a problem in the locker room,"a cancer" per former teamate. He has been very streaky and looked bad when we played you guys.
He will strictly be considered a rental and will be seeking ufa money. He is a lw and the blues #1 need is rw/c rhanded shot. On top of all that you want vine Dunn. Who killed it first year in ahl with 13g 32a 45pt +15 and the following year beat out seveal people out of training camp for spot as a 20 year old rookie. He has been playing fantastically so much that when jaybo came back from injury gunner and bots where sitting. Your not getting this kid "future top2" for a rental/locker room cancer. Just isn't happening besides he doesn't fit a need

Let's be realisitc here... if you remove the bolded from your post, you would have a rational and objective response.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I'm sorry truth hurts. Wouldn't want that guy in my locker room. That does effect value, possibly resigning him. If you think Dunn equals 3 months of Kane and his attitude your wrong.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
I know tons about Kane I watch hockey played my entire life watch and read every analyst out there and heard reports from former team mates. My opinion is shared by many outside buffalo

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I'm sorry truth hurts.

That might be true, if what you said was either informed or truthful. Unfortunately for you... it was neither.

If you think Dunn equals 3 months of Kane and his attitude your wrong.

I don't... that's why I said the rest of your post would've been objective and reasonable. It was the bolded that was... uninformed and dumb.

Colt55

Sep 28, 2017
st. Louis
Not worth Dunn in any way shape or form. Let alone thomas, kyrou, kostin or thompson, or a first we don't have. Doesn't fill a position of need for blues, don't need headache or attitude

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
I know tons about Kane I watch hockey played my entire life watch and read every analyst out there and heard reports from former team mates. My opinion is shared by many outside buffalo

oh-good-for-you-com-16213015.png

Reactions: BuffaloGooner

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I'm sorry truth hurts. Wouldn't want that guy in my locker room. That does effect value, possibly resigning him. If you think Dunn equals 3 months of Kane and his attitude your wrong.

Kane's attitude will be just fine if you view him as a rental.

The only question I would have about Kane's attitude is what will it be like if my team were to sign him to a long term, big money, guaranteed contract.

But, he has been a model citizen this season by all accounts. The fact that he has stayed on the straight and narrow and been productive in a contract year shouldn't be too surprising.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad