Confirmed with Link: Kane re-signed. 7 years x $7m AAV

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
By what measure is Kane a top line winger? He has scored 30 goals once in his entire career and it was six years ago.

Correct. He's a 2nd line guy at best and not as good as Meier. He also doesn't have playoff experience. No way he's worth anything close from 7 millions.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Heavyweight pundit - deal not done yet. (Kane is in London/UK, so could be some delays with the actual signing)

Somebody fire Wilson before he can finalize that deal. 7x5 max. Anything more would be crazy and along with a 1st, absolutely bonkers. I'm strictly against throwing stupid money at players clearly not motivated to stay. Players who want to stay and win are always gonna take a discount...especially knowing that it would cost the team a 1st to keep him.

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
Correct. He's a 2nd line guy at best and not as good as Meier. He also doesn't have playoff experience. No way he's worth anything close from 7 millions.
Sorry if I seem ignorant since I don't follow sharks too closely.

How is Kane not as good as Meier?

wishman

Jan 20, 2007
Fine with deal:

- With cap going up, Kane was going to get $7M somewhere.
- Probably at least a year too long, but Sharks will be a mess in 5-7 years anyhow with Vlasic, Burns, and (presumably) Couture all much older and still getting paid $$$.
- Very little chance Sharks getting Tavares (especially with Lou now onboard). Have the cap space and not really many better options in FA market.

This helps us to have a high compete window in next 3-4 years and still leaves cap space to add another player (hopefully bottom pairing D).

Reactions: slocal

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Meier's scoring output in 2018 is really good. He played significantly less than Kane, had worse linemates and got less PP-time. I didn't compare their effiency in 2018 but it's possible that Meier has the edge. He's also better in other areas as Meier probably still draws the most minors/h leaguewide. I haven't checked but he's surely close if he doesn't. He's also one of the strongest on the puck leaguewide (big part of why he draws all those minors) and in that regard clearly better than any other Sharks player except Hertl. I'd also argue that Meier is more responsible defensively.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Every time we panic about not being able to get rid of a contract, DW manages to get rid of a contract. I’m not too worried that we won’t be able to trade Kane if necessary later.

Keep in mind, Thornton wants to take less so we could sign FAs. I’m sure letting Kane walk and not getting Tavares would endanger us not signing Joe.

Other thing is - if we’re trying to convince Tavares we’re serious, signing Kane, Joe - that shows we’re stacking the team and competing. Could help convince him.

Plus, I thought Kane looked great before his injury. No problem with the deal.

Reactions: Papa Joe19

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

-The penalty differential alone accounts for a difference of about 7 goals between the two in favor of Meier. Meier draws far more penalties and has far better discipline.

-From game ~25 of the season through the playoffs, Meier scored more than Kane. This disregards Kane’s hot start playing with Jack Eichel and disregards Meier’s poor stretch where he was on the 4th line and even scratched once while trying to find his spot as an NHL player.

-When Meier stepped into Kane’s role aside Joe Pavelski and Joonas Donskoi due to Kane’s suspension, Joe Pavelski’s line looked good. They did not look good at any other point in the playoffs and that includes the Anaheim series.

-Combining regular season and playoffs, Meier-Pavelski-Donskoi had better metrics (including simple metrics like GF and GA) than Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi.

-Meier played 81 games this season, then played 10 playoff games and like 6 WHC games. He was a physical force in all of them; Kane is incapable of doing this without getting injured and watching his play trail off if he does decide to keep playing.

You kind of have to watch them play to really get it, and most Sharks fans disagree. But I think Meier is better than Kane right now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
that doesnt answer my question... as someone who doesn't watch him. Why is he better?
Aside from the whole scoring thing, Meier has an aggressive offensive style that is very impactful in the neutral and offensive zone. Eye test and advanced stats indicate a very good player who has improved a lot in the last year and has a lot of room to grow. IMO Kane is a good power forward but he hasn't had as consistent of an impact on the ice. He can put up points no doubt but how much else can he do is up for debate.

Reactions: Elias Pettersson

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Somebody fire Wilson before he can finalize that deal. 7x5 max. Anything more would be crazy and along with a 1st, absolutely bonkers. I'm strictly against throwing stupid money at players clearly not motivated to stay. Players who want to stay and win are always gonna take a discount...especially knowing that it would cost the team a 1st to keep him.

Im sorry but the first has ZERO impact on how much Kane is worth, or asks for in a negotiation. Trying to make Kane out to be a greedy person, or not a team player, because the GM that traded for him added in a conditional pick of his own free will when completing the trade is not fair. Kane is worth whatever Kane is worth. The first is for Kane's services. If you value his services over a first, you sign Kane to whatever he is worth.

DW knew full well that Kane was going to want a pay day, he decided to make the trade knowing it would cost him a first to retain Kane, on top of knowing Kane would be in line for a big raise. Kane has no obligation what so ever to reduce his price because the Sharks might lose a 1st round pick. None

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Don't like the AAV or the term.

Sharks mortgaging their long term future for short term competitiveness. They are going the Blackhawks approach without the cups.
Not going to look good when Kane, Burns, Vlasic are all at the end of their long term deals.

Reactions: Frosty415

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Don't like the AAV or the term.

Sharks mortgaging their long term future for short term competitiveness. They are going the Blackhawks approach without the cups.
Not going to look good when Kane, Burns, Vlasic are all at the end of their long term deals.

He's 26 and better than anyone the Sharks would draft in the 20's (likely where they draft), but the term is to much for his injury history.

Reactions: Frosty415 and Phu

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Meier isn't better than Kane, that's hyperbole. However Meier at $894k is obviously significantly more valuable to the Sharks than Kane at $7mil.

You're terribly wrong.
Meier has 31 points in 56 games in 2018. Kane has 25 points in 49 games. I'd need to look that up but Kane probably played several minutes more than Meier and surely had more PP-time and better linemates which gives Meier the edge scoringwise. Besides scoring, Meier is the better player anyways. He's much better possession wise, draws tons of minors and he's at least as responsible defensively. Now you tell me how on earth Kane should be better than Meier.

Reactions: Frosty415

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Perhaps DW has a plan to ditch Kane, Vlasic, or Burns in 2-3 years if they start to decline, or if the Sharks have cap troubles? The way that he is just handing out 7-8Y, $7-8M contracts as soon as he can is just downright hilarious. It’s not even the contracts, but when they’re being signed. Vlasic was signed 365 days before he would hit UFA; as was Jones. Burns was signed early in the 2016-2017 season, and Kane was signed before the SCF even started.

Perhaps what he saw from Brad Stuart and the subsequent return he got for Stuart in trade showed him that GMs really do watch very little hockey, have awful pro scouting, and will trade for a player based on what they did 2-3 seasons ago? Maybe his thought process is that worst case, in 2-3 years, if Vlasic/Burns/Kane totally fall off a cliff, he can retain 2-3M and still get a strong return for them, based on the players they are today?

There has to be something we don’t know, because these Jones, Vlasic, Burns, and Kane contracts are just hilarious and totally out of character for DW.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Why do people think you can have a fast, 30 goal scoring UFA top line power forward for 6 and no term?

Not that guy but surely an injury prone 2nd liner who once scored 30 goals 7 years ago and who the Sharks need to give up a 1st for but don't even need because they have better lefty wingers and rather need a righty.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
You're terribly wrong.
Meier has 31 points in 56 games in 2018. Kane has 25 points in 49 games. I'd need to look that up but Kane probably played several minutes more than Meier and surely had more PP-time and better linemates which gives Meier the edge scoringwise. Besides scoring, Meier is the better player anyways. He's much better possession wise, draws tons of minors and he's at least as responsible defensively. Now you tell me how on earth Kane should be better than Meier.

Relax dude, I'm no fan of Evander Kane either and I have high hopes for Timo. But "points in an arbitrarily defined small sample size" aren't the be-all end-all of a player's value. Like it or not, Kane does have over a half-decade track record of being a very effective even strength goal scorer on some absolute garbage teams. Kane has scored 106 5-on-5 goals since 2011, which is 20th in the league and just three fewer than Sidney Crosby. Meier has looked great for half of one season in the NHL. Let's give it another year before we call him better than a proven goal scorer.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The 1st is for the rental, it does not factor into the UFA contract.

It should. Doesn't make sense to overpay and gamble on term knowing it will also cost a 1st. I'd rather chase another UFA or get help via trade. You can get better help for that prize.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Relax dude, I'm no fan of Evander Kane either and I have high hopes for Timo. But "points in an arbitrarily defined small sample size" aren't the be-all end-all of a player's value. Like it or not, Kane does have over a half-decade track record of being a very effective even strength goal scorer on some absolute garbage teams. Kane has scored 106 5-on-5 goals since 2011, which is 20th in the league and just three fewer than Sidney Crosby. Meier has looked great for half of one season in the NHL. Let's give it another year before we call him better than a proven goal scorer.

Kane may have played on a bad team but with elite talent like Eichel. Meier never had such an opportunity and mostly played limited minutes with clear bottom six material. You can use whatever numbers or eyetest you want, Meier is the better player right now and looking at development curves and age that's highly unlikely to change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad