Confirmed with Link: Kane re-signed. 7 years x $7m AAV

Hockey Rush

Feb 22, 2018
I feel bad for San Jose fans if this the correct term/dollars. That is way too much for Evander Kane. I wanted him in Vancouver as a free agent but not for a penny over 6 million.

Huge overpayment. :( It hurts me to see this type of deal get signed even to a rival.

Reactions: Bleedred

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
Usually with contracts like this the player is worth the cap hit currently but will likely cease to be worth it in a few years. I don't understand how Kane, who has never once scored 60 points in a season, is worth $7 million right now let alone in the future.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Id like 3 more Hertls and 3 more Timos

I recall a poster mocking advanced stats in the past by suggesting that we should just build a team of 6 Hertls and 6 Meier’s (or something along those lines), but honestly? Given what I saw in the playoffs, I would be ecstatic to have 6 Hertls and 6 Meiers. Screw superstars and tanking; that forward group is as good as any in the NHL.

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I recall a poster mocking advanced stats in the past by suggesting that we should just build a team of 6 Hertls and 6 Meier’s (or something along those lines), but honestly? Given what I saw in the playoffs, I would be ecstatic to have 6 Hertls and 6 Meiers. Screw superstars and tanking; that forward group is as good as any in the NHL.

If Hertl had another Hertl in those last couple games VS the Knights haha man he would have crushed. That or they would have hit the post 10 more times.

Reactions: crzymexicanbeer

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Boedker was good in waves but was very inconsistent. He’s not the difference in this team winning or losing a cup and if we can replace him in house at $3MM cheaper, you do it.

He was good this year and particularly during the playoffs like he always was. Who cares if he struggles for parts of the regular season if he's always ready for the playoffs? Certainly not me. 4 millions is good value if he plays like he does in 2018 so far.

member 290103

7 million for a top line winger at Kane's age is easily fair.......nothing wrong with that.

Reactions: Phu

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
7 million for a top line winger at Kane's age is easily fair.......nothing wrong with that.

Only two seasons over 50 points, never played a full 82 season before and half the league hates him in the locker room. Feel like he should be had for a bit cheaper haha. I wanted the sharks to sign him but I was hoping for a 6x4 kinda thing.

member 290103

Only two seasons over 50 points, never played a full 82 season before and half the league hates him in the locker room. Feel like he should be had for a bit cheaper haha. I wanted the sharks to sign him but I was hoping for a 6x4 kinda thing.

I hear you, but he's also a pretty good bet to score 30 goals and he is physically dominant......he's had off ice issues, but on the ice he goes all out. I am thinking that his off ice issues must have cleared up if the Sharks have made this move.

Don't they owe a 1st round pick to Buffalo now?

Reactions: Phu

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
There are way too many top-9 forwards on the team right now and Meier and Kane are fairly similar.

They're not. Meier is a lot stronger on the puck. A different lvl possession wise. Kane isn't a possession guy. Probably has better hands but that's about it. If I had to pick between them, I'd pick Meier every day of the week. Even if they were the same age. Particularly for Sharks hockey, Meier is the better option anyway and the better fit than Kane.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I hear you, but he's also a pretty good bet to score 30 goals and he is physically dominant......he's had off ice issues, but on the ice he goes all out. I am thinking that his off ice issues must have cleared up if the Sharks have made this move.

Don't they owe a 1st round pick to Buffalo now?

Yup next years 1st. If its 7 years it makes you worry a bit about his health haha cause he already can't stay healthy and he's 26.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
You wanted him at 6 million per and he got 7 and it's a massive overpayment? Ok.

Not trying to speak for the poster you quoted.

However it could be a massive overpayment if you look at it like this: Kane is worth 5 mil per year. He is a UFA, so to get him you will need to overpay/outbid other teams, so you would be willing to overpay at 6 mil, therefore going even further to 7 mil is a massive overpayment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad