Confirmed with Link: Kane re-signed. 7 years x $7m AAV

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Typical Doug Wilson way overpayment.

Overpays frickin Vlasic an entire year before even becomes a UFA, instead of maybe waiting until the new calendar year like he did with Burns. Overpays Martin Jones, coming off a mediocre season, a whole year before he turns UFA, because of course there's not 25-26 other teams with a goalie at least as good or better than him.

Now he way overpays for Kane. That's a year too long and a million per year too long. Was Evander Kane really gonna get that much in UFA?

Jones at 5M per is a great deal, if Jones stays at his current level. But damnit I don't want Kane for 7 years at 7M.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
7x7 is a pretty confident number, DW has to have something else going on. Martin buyout and Boedker move? That or Jumbo is coming back super cheap?

I'd much rather keep Boedker than to pay Kane 7x7. Boedker has played really well this year and he's always in beast mode during the playoffs. A very important player.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Yikes, 7 years seems a little excessive if that winds up being the case.

7 mil is more than I would want to sign him for, but honestly its probably about how much hes worth give or take a half mil.

Until the deal is final, I wont get upset about the signing, but not thrilled if this is truly what it winds up.

Reactions: Frosty415 and Phu

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Jones at 5M per is a great deal, if Jones stays at his current level. But damnit I don't want Kane for 7 years at 7M.
I wouldn't say it's a great deal, but it's not completely terrible.

I think his cap hit is $5.75 million though.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Also haha this is somewhat of a rumor. It was a ballpark figure, cross your fingers for 6x5 or something

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
After years of great cap management, DW gives out 3 awful contracts in a row. Lovely...
He's frickin giving out these contracts like a now former GM from another California team, who we all remember from some 1.5 decades ago....

joe2cheech

Aug 29, 2007
I'd much rather keep Boedker than to pay Kane 7x7. Boedker has played really well this year and he's always in beast mode during the playoffs. A very important player.

In what world was Boedker in beast mode? Sure he played well second half of the season but he wasn't that great in the playoffs

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

Boedker is currently signed for longer than any other SJ forward (until 2020), he's decent. He did play well in the second half of the season and into the playoffs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
WRT Tavares, Lamoreillo met with him before being announced as new President of Hockey Operations for NYI. (Still unclear what the future of GM Snow is.) That is a significant step (repuationwise) for NYI to retain JT. (OTOH, there are concerns that Lou is not as "sharp" as he was. But that could just be sour grapes.)

Sharks had no guarantee that JT would leave NYI. And even if he did, that he might value the Sharks' offer higher than other teams.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Typical Doug Wilson way overpayment.

Overpays frickin Vlasic an entire year before even becomes a UFA, instead of maybe waiting until the new calendar year like he did with Burns. Overpays Martin Jones, coming off a mediocre season, a whole year before he turns UFA, because of course there's not 25-26 other teams with a goalie at least as good or better than him.

Now he way overpays for Kane. That's a year too long and a million per year too long. Was Evander Kane really gonna get that much in UFA?

The Jones deal is good.
Otherwise I agree. If I were Wilson I would have offered Kane less than he was expected to get in Free Agency purely because of the 1st. If Kane wanted to stay he would have accepted a discount to make up for the 1st. If he's greedy and ready to continue play meaningless hockey like he did until now then let him walk.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Assuming we can move Boedker and Karlsson, and assuming we buy out (or trade) Paul Martin, it doesn’t even have to go that high.

Logical moves but for some reason I don’t see DW moving all three out. I have a feeling Karlsson stays but I’d be trading all three plus the rights to Tierney for picks.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Assuming we can move Boedker and Karlsson, and assuming we buy out (or trade) Paul Martin, it doesn’t even have to go that high.

Again, moving Boedker now would be dumb. Assuming they want to win, Wilson will find it hard to get a better guy for 4 millions. Sharks can still trade him next year if they can't sign him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
That term is rediculous. 4x7 I am ok with but 7x7 is nuts

Kane isn't worth 7mio. So that's too much, no matter what the term is. He'd probably get it as FA but since the Sharks would lose their 1st they better expect him to sign for less or let him go back to where he came from and where he gets early holidays every year.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Again, moving Boedker now would be dumb. Assuming they want to win, Wilson will find it hard to get a better guy for 4 millions. Sharks can still trade him next year if they can't sign him.

Boedker was good in waves but was very inconsistent. He’s not the difference in this team winning or losing a cup and if we can replace him in house at $3MM cheaper, you do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad