Kane or Kessel?

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
im pretty sure the only areas that kessel has kane beat right now are straight away speed and size. kessel has had a tumultuous season...and has complained about ice time. kane must be a top six forward or he will not be effective....kane has better skills in the long run because the "blazing speed" players never last too long. kane has better vision, passing and stick skills then kessel.

http://www.londonknights.com/middle_videos.asp

check out the vids for yourself. :D

AgentNaslund*

Kessel. Kane is doing real good in a weak draft year, thats all I have to say.

Kessel.

Abyss

GO BRUINS
Jun 20, 2005
CT
kane has better skills in the long run because the "blazing speed" players never last too long. kane has better vision, passing and stick skills then kessel.

Kessel has a lot more than just "blazing speed". Not like whenever he gets going at top speed he just turns the puck over and slides into the boards, he's good at top speed and probably has the best vision on the team after Savard. His passing, by watching him in his little ice time you can tell is somethign special.

Dicky Dangles

dangles the puck.
Oct 3, 2006
Manhattan Beach
im pretty sure the only areas that kessel has kane beat right now are straight away speed and size. kessel has had a tumultuous season...and has complained about ice time. kane must be a top six forward or he will not be effective....kane has better skills in the long run because the "blazing speed" players never last too long. kane has better vision, passing and stick skills then kessel.

That roofer that Kane had in the 3/27 game was sick. He's got lightning quick hands. You also gotta' love the Hulk Hogan-esque move he pulled after the goal, putting his hand up to his hear, listening to the crowd get loud for him.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
the guys eligible for the upcoming draft are allways better then NHL players. lol.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
the guys eligible for the upcoming draft are allways better then NHL players. lol.

Sometimes it's true. Like this time.

As said earlier, Kane's vision and creativity give him the edge. My jaw consistently dropped watching him at the World Juniors. Just an extremely shifty, imaginative player.

And this is coming from someone predisposed to hating Team USA in international hockey.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
im pretty sure the only areas that kessel has kane beat right now are straight away speed and size. kessel has had a tumultuous season...and has complained about ice time. kane must be a top six forward or he will not be effective....kane has better skills in the long run because the "blazing speed" players never last too long. kane has better vision, passing and stick skills then kessel. Where did you get the information about Kessel complaining about ice team? I follow the Bruins all year and never heard of this. Plus he's taking a regular shift, and playing on the power play.

How much have you seen of Kane? I admit I have never seen him play. Are your observations based upon seeing Kane's performance over a series of games?

I'm not diminishing Kane's skills. But if, as you claim, he has better vision, passing and stick skills than Kessel, why we're looking at a future super star.

KingKessel81

Oct 25, 2006
I've never seen Patrick Kane play so all I can really say in 2 things in response to this thread:

1.) Phil Kessel has not complained about ice time this season. I'm guessing you're talking about the article that Pens fans had overblown on your board. He was asked why he didn't have as many points as some of the other rookies and he said ice time. That certainly isn't complaining about ice time; it is answering the reporters question truthfully. He hasn't had nearly as much ice time as other rookies due to cancer (missed several games so that is no ice time) and the fact that Dave Lewis plays his vets over young guys like Kessel and Kalus (to be fair, he has been playing Kessel significantly more lately). It isn't like he said "I deserve more ice time (which he did deserve) but my coach has a woody for 35 year old, ugly, skill-less players"; which again would be entirely true.

2.) Kessel has been the Bruins best overall foward over the last 2 months. Sure, the Bruins have sucked during these 2 months and Marc Savard has mailed it in since we've been eliminated but that is still pretty damn impressive for a teenager to be his teams best foward for that long. His defensive game has improved by an insane amount and I'd argue he has been one of the Bruins best defensive fowards over these past 2 months. He is using his speed to backcheck and take the puck away from guys not paying attention to him pretty often. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Bruins penalty kill within the next few years if his defensive game keeps improving as much as it has.

I just have a hard time believing Kane (and some of you may be right; I've never seen him) is a better prospect than another teenager who has been the best player on an NHL team for 2 months and you can see; is full of ridiculous potential.

Bruins420

Jan 23, 2007
dirty jersey
I've never seen Patrick Kane play so all I can really say in 2 things in response to this thread:

1.) Phil Kessel has not complained about ice time this season. I'm guessing you're talking about the article that Pens fans had overblown on your board. He was asked why he didn't have as many points as some of the other rookies and he said ice time. That certainly isn't complaining about ice time; it is answering the reporters question truthfully. He hasn't had nearly as much ice time as other rookies due to cancer (missed several games so that is no ice time) and the fact that Dave Lewis plays his vets over young guys like Kessel and Kalus (to be fair, he has been playing Kessel significantly more lately). It isn't like he said "I deserve more ice time (which he did deserve) but my coach has a woody for 35 year old, ugly, skill-less players"; which again would be entirely true.

2.) Kessel has been the Bruins best overall foward over the last 2 months. Sure, the Bruins have sucked during these 2 months and Marc Savard has mailed it in since we've been eliminated but that is still pretty damn impressive for a teenager to be his teams best foward for that long. His defensive game has improved by an insane amount and I'd argue he has been one of the Bruins best defensive fowards over these past 2 months. He is using his speed to backcheck and take the puck away from guys not paying attention to him pretty often. I wouldn't be surprised to see him on the Bruins penalty kill within the next few years if his defensive game keeps improving as much as it has.

I just have a hard time believing Kane (and some of you may be right; I've never seen him) is a better prospect than another teenager who has been the best player on an NHL team for 2 months and you can see; is full of ridiculous potential.

:handclap: :handclap:
I don't know about Kane but Kessel has been awesome the last two months and he just recently has had the chance to play with the top lines on the boston team before this he was stuck on the 4th line getting 8 min. of ice time. who even knows if Kane makes his team out of training camp this year. So before i can even rate KAne being close to kessel he would have to make it to the NHL first.
I am going with Kessel.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.

well we both dont know him personally- and he might have a bad rap from the combine article last year...but where there is smoke there is fire- and i have heard reports of kessels attitude before.

with that in mind kessel had a rough year on a rough team- not taking anything away. kane had an awesome wjc- and an awesome usndp year...i think his skills will transfer over well in the nhl in a year ot two.

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
well we both dont know him personally- and he might have a bad rap from the combine article last year...but where there is smoke there is fire- and i have heard reports of kessels attitude before.

with that in mind kessel had a rough year on a rough team- not taking anything away. kane had an awesome wjc- and an awesome usndp year...i think his skills will transfer over well in the nhl in a year ot two.

You obviously havent been following the kid very closely. He's pretty much washed away all the 'attitude problem' flack and is becoming beloved in his home market. Hes been a hard worker, coachable and willing to learn all season long. He's spent extra time with the coaching staff working on his positioning and the difference between the player we saw in October and the player we see now is astounding. Hes going to be very special. Most of the crap you heard about him is either inaccurate or in the past.

I think hes a better player than Patrick Kane, but I think both are going to be excellent.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Sometimes it's true. Like this time.

As said earlier, Kane's vision and creativity give him the edge. My jaw consistently dropped watching him at the World Juniors. Just an extremely shifty, imaginative player.

And this is coming from someone predisposed to hating Team USA in international hockey.

do you remember what Kessel did at the WJC?

Vic Rattlehead*

do you remember what Kessel did at the WJC?

Nothing Kessel does is ever good enough.

I heard so many bad things about him before the draft, and none of them have come true with Boston. For some reason, people like to hate Kessel. Very confusing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site

I'm sorry, but your post is, frankly, ridiculous. Of course we don't know Kessel personally. Who on these boards does?

All we can go by is our personal observations and expert opinion. By the way, I assume you've never actually seen Kane play. Nor have I. I've seen Kessel play many times this year and have been in awe of some of his moves and talent.

"Where there's smoke, there's fire..." To support your argument you're holding on to the opinion of a few before the draft, which, fortunately for Boston, caused him to drop from #1 to #5. Can you cite a single attitude problem with Kessel?

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
HFboards rules... whomever is younger (between the two players being compared) is better. Plain and simple. :shakehead

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
I think Kane will wind up the better player, the thing is Kessel has amazing skills, he just hasnt been improving as fast as some others, both will be great...

I think Kessel has better overall potential but just wont reach it all the way to its extent, Kane i think will...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->