Kane and Gagner chemistry + draft day trades???

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Hello, just wondering how the chemistry is between Gagner and Kane.
And I also wonder if perhaps one of the teams with 2 picks (all of the teams will have a top 10 pick) in the -07 draft could perhaps trade up the other pick to get both of them. Chemistry between players are more important in hockey than in any game that is played and it is not like it would be a big step away from BPA if Gagner who by ISS is ranked #8 would be picked 2nd, 3rd or 4th behind Kane, currently ranked #2 by ISS. This draft is said to be very deep, not weak, so could this be a good thing to do for a team like Flyers, Phoenix, King etc. Just look how the Sedins (who of course have years of advantage togheter on every one else) have managed to build up a magic chemistry between them. Gagner and Kane will probably play togheter with London for a couple of more years and build up even more chemistry (and if they both where drafted by the same team I dont think they would be split up by the London coaches either)

Since I never seen the 2 play other then a few clips on youtube and dont know much about them some info would be nice.

Thanks.

Checker*

Hello, just wondering how the chemistry is between Gagner and Kane.
And I also wonder if perhaps one of the teams with 2 picks (all of the teams will have a top 10 pick) in the -07 draft could perhaps trade up the other pick to get both of them. Chemistry between players are more important in hockey than in any game that is played and it is not like it would be a big step away from BPA if Gagner who by ISS is ranked #8 would be picked 2nd, 3rd or 4th behind Kane, currently ranked #2 by ISS. This draft is said to be very deep, not weak, so could this be a good thing to do for a team like Flyers, Phoenix, King etc. Just look how the Sedins (who of course have years of advantage togheter on every one else) have managed to build up a magic chemistry between them. Gagner and Kane will probably play togheter with London for a couple of more years and build up even more chemistry (and if they both where drafted by the same team I dont think they would be split up by the London coaches either)

Since I never seen the 2 play other then a few clips on youtube and dont know much about them some info would be nice.

Thanks.

It could happen but I doubt it.

Kyle Okposo and Trevor Lewis had amazing chemistry last year at Des Moines and both went their seperate ways at the draft. When evaluateing talent, chemistry with another player in Juniors should be very low on the list if on the list at all. The Sedin's special chemistry is because they are twins, which is a bit different than just clicking with some person on a junior team.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
It could happen but I doubt it.

Kyle Okposo and Trevor Lewis had amazing chemistry last year at Des Moines and both went their seperate ways at the draft. When evaluateing talent, chemistry with another player in Juniors should be very low on the list if on the list at all. The Sedin's special chemistry is because they are twins, which is a bit different than just clicking with some person on a junior team.

Thanks, that was a quick answer.

Just realized I put Kings with two 1st picks in -07. They have two in the -08... my mistake.

But how is their chemistry then. Both are listed as RW´s on some sited and centers at others. They play with that kid Habs picked a few seasons ago dont they. Can remember his name, think I read it some where. But is one more of playmaker and the other a sniper or do they play a more dynamic game with both doing it all.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Thanks, that was a quick answer.

Just realized I put Kings with two 1st picks in -07. They have two in the -08... my mistake.

But how is their chemistry then. Both are listed as RW´s on some sited and centers at others. They play with that kid Habs picked a few seasons ago dont they. Can remember his name, think I read it some where. But is one more of playmaker and the other a sniper or do they play a more dynamic game with both doing it all.

Kane is the most talented of the group at this stage - he's a more skilled one on one player and is able to find the net in all situations. He's a good passer to boot.

Kostitsyn has the best shot, a great wrister, and he's more physical than Kane & Gagner.

Gagner has great vision and is the playmaker of the group, but doesn't have the goal scoring touch that Kane & Kostitsyn do, especially on ES. However he's also the youngest of them.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
i dont see weaknesses in kanes offensive game. he has nhl level hands and shot accuracy. the knocks on him will be his size (moreso his weight- but is apparently working hard to bulk up) and that extra gear of speed.

however- scouts always knock top prospects' speed- UNLESS it is their MAIN attribute (think kessel, esposito, fata). IMO those players rarely turn out anyways, so im not worried. :)

kane is so deadly offensively, that scouts will make up weaknesses for him. he is an insane playmaker as well.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
HOWEVER-the team taking Kane will have to realize he willbe a defensive liability--that is masked on a team like London--most often the puck is in the opposing zone...
It is often said that defense can be taught--but somehow I doubt Kane will ever be taught to an even average level of defensive competance at the NHl level:

(i) he really doesn't have staright line without the puck catch-up speed once an opponent gets a step on him --so he gives up rather quickly when such circumstance happens...

(ii) he is not very strong and thus his back-checking to strip pucks away from opponents is not very effective...

On the other hand he is terrifically fast with the puck due to his agility and great puck control(most guys are actualy slower than their speed without the puck when they have to carry the puck and control it through and around traffic--Kane keeps his regular top speed when carrying the puck) --he also uses his anticipaton skill to get to loose pucks in corners ahead of opponents or strip it from them with his quick stick on the forecheck---thus offensively he looks fast--but defensively he really isn't...whether this combination can translate to success at the nHl level is the question--because UNLESS the team getting him has good 2-way linemates for him to cover for his defensive flaws,coaches are going to either have to live with a run and gun style or tur grey trying to fit a square peg into a rund whole...still they might overlook his defensive shortcomings if he makes their PP deadly and wins games for them in shoot-outs...

Gagner at least attempts to play good defense--he still needs to upgrade that part of his game to the NHL level--but at least he tries...as for his goal scoring, he probably would score more goals if he were more selfish,or were the only "go to guy" on his Jr. team--but with such talented snipers as Kane and Kostitsyn on London,Gagner's role is more set-up guy at centre for them--though they are both good passers themselves--however I'msure there are lots of occaisions Gagner cold shootmore himself and instead dishes off to them for a perhaps better position scoring chance...

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
i agree- in watching knights games this season- it seems kane only gets going for the offensive part of the game...there doesnt seem to be any chippiness in his or gagners games either- they avoid contact against the boards the majority of the time- but are both still strong on the puck when things get dirty.

i havent seen a junior with as much offensive upside as kane since sid. (homer for buffalo players :) )

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The descriptions of Kane are so reminiscent of Briere (except Briere has very good speed)

defensive liability...

on defense, once an opponent gets a step on him --he gives up rather quickly ...

not very strong and thus his back-checking to strip pucks away from opponents is not very effective...

defense can be taught--but somehow I doubt Kane (Briere) will ever be taught to an even average level of defensive competance at the NHl level...

UNLESS the team getting him has good 2-way linemates for him to cover for his defensive flaws,coaches are going to either have to live with a run and gun style or turn grey trying to fit a square peg into a rund whole...overlook his defensive shortcomings if he makes their PP deadly and wins games for them..

Briere was all this in Phoenix. He's turned out ok. Players can get stronger and learn to play better defense.

Kane will be drafted in the top three because of his offense.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
The only team i can see doing this is Philladelphia.

Edmonton has three first rounders and are looking to get the fans excited for something. Also with a lot of prospect depth they could easily make a move to get phillys pick and the second pick, a la Vancouver back in the day.

But to be honest, I might prefer Turris and Alzner or Cherepanov and Van Riemsdyk at a slightly lower cost of trading up. Mind you the Chemistry does interest me.

Last edited:

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
So what would it take for the Flyers to pull this off? Nashvilles First + somebody. say two of Nodl, Bartulis, or Picard? I would hesitate to offer up much more than that.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
Well lets say Flyers take Kane #1 overall, they aren't going to trade and take Gagner #2, but if hes sitting there around 6 or 7 then maybe Holmgren tries to work something out.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't think this scenario will every see the light of day. Both players (especially Kane) have shown that they can produce at an elite level without the other, and frankly I'd be a little hesitant to take either if their on ice chemistry was the sole reason for their exceptional numbers.

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
<rant>From the description of Kane, there is no way some fans in Philly would like him, they want their rookies to never make mistakes, score like Crosby, hit like Phaneuf, and have emotion and 300PIMs all from fights where like whooped everyone. Otherwise they have no heart and no work ethic.</rant>

I think Kane would be a nice fit here and I wouldn't mind hearing his name called when we pick.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
I doubt the Flyers would trade to draft them both, but i can see them trading their #1 pick to another high-pick team for a high-end prospect. Unfortunately, the problem is that I do not think a team will sacrifice a more NHL-ready prospect like JJ, EJ, Backstrom or Toews and I don't see the Flyers trading the #1 pick for a lower-tier prospect like Mueller.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Kane is the most talented of the group at this stage - he's a more skilled one on one player and is able to find the net in all situations. He's a good passer to boot.

Kostitsyn has the best shot, a great wrister, and he's more physical than Kane & Gagner.

Gagner has great vision and is the playmaker of the group, but doesn't have the goal scoring touch that Kane & Kostitsyn do, especially on ES. However he's also the youngest of them.

I can't help but having a huge smile on my face when i read this, our 2005 7th rounder is compared to top5 players 2 years later, his brother is finally coming out too( witch i don't want the same fiasco to come out again so let's leave it at that). I was afraid that Kosty jr. was just feeding off Shremp and Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad