Kaigorodov's case, or why Russian Hockey federation would never sign IIHF deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Ottawa Senators are for a big surprise. The soccer like transfer fee deals are coming to play in the world hockey market. And the precedent is created by Kaigorodov’s case. He is going to be the measuring stick, what is going to happen between European leagues and NHL in the future.
Kai is under contract playing for his home town team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round (47th overall) in 2002. Kai established himself as one of the best players in RSL. By the old IIHF-NHL agreement, Metallurg was about to receive 150 thousand dollars in compensation. Where already Kaigorodov is paid by the same team one million dollars a year in salary. He is a bona fide offensive centre, go to guy on the team, already boasting kinds of Malkin and a line up which would beat the half of NHL teams easy and make the playoffs. So here is the question. Bettman wants to staff down ridiculously low lamp of money to metallurg’s throat, where the same team already pays one million dollars to its best player. It does not make any sense. And because RSL did not sign the deal with NHL, Metallurg is up for a big transfer fee from Ottawa. If Senators are desperate enough, to bring Kai in the fold. The projected fee could be in the neighborhood, between 3 and 5 million dollars for Kaigorodov’s rights. That’s what we are talking about.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
dream on

SENATOR said:
Ottawa Senators are for a big surprise. The soccer like transfer fee deals are coming to play in the world hockey market. And the precedent is created by Kaigorodov’s case. He is going to be the measuring stick, what is going to happen between European leagues and NHL in the future.
Kai is under contract playing for his home town team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round (47th overall) in 2002. Kai established himself as one of the best players in RSL. By the old IIHF-NHL agreement, Metallurg was about to receive 150 thousand dollars in compensation. Where already Kaigorodov is paid by the same team one million dollars a year in salary. He is a bona fide offensive centre, go to guy on the team, already boasting kinds of Malkin and a line up which would beat the half of NHL teams easy and make the playoffs. So here is the question. Bettman wants to staff down ridiculously low lamp of money to metallurg’s throat, where the same team already pays one million dollars to its best player. It does not make any sense. And because RSL did not sign the deal with NHL, Metallurg is up for a big transfer fee from Ottawa. If Senators are desperate enough, to bring Kai in the fold. The projected fee could be in the neibourhood, between 3 and 5 million dollars for Kaigorodov’s rights. That’s what we are talking about.

How desperate is the player to start his NHL career?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
SENATOR said:
Kai is under contract playing for his home town team, Metallurg Magnitogorsk. Drafted by the Ottawa Senators in the 2nd round (47th overall) in 2002. Kai established himself as one of the best players in RSL. By the old IIHF-NHL agreement, Metallurg was about to receive 150 thousand dollars in compensation. Where already Kaigorodov is paid by the same team one million dollars a year in salary. He is a bona fide offensive centre, go to guy on the team, already boasting kinds of Malkin and a line up which would beat the half of NHL teams easy and make the playoffs. So here is the question. Bettman wants to staff down ridiculously low lamp of money to metallurg’s throat, where the same team already pays one million dollars to its best player. It does not make any sense. And because RSL did not sign the deal with NHL, Metallurg is up for a big transfer fee from Ottawa. If Senators are desperate enough, to bring Kai in the fold. The projected fee could be in the neighborhood, between 3 and 5 million dollars for Kaigorodov’s rights. That’s what we are talking about.

Linky?

Roy G Biv*

Or Kaig can just come to Ottawa for free since there is no deal... That's the way I look at it.

Let the Russians send their lawyers

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
how many years is he signed for? that's the key. if ottawa and other teams decide to wait for players contracts to run out, then it'll certainly change the situation...

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
AM said:
How desperate is the player to start his NHL career?

Just come down from mount Olympus, will you. NHL is not only butter and bread in the world. Kai plays for his home town, where he grew up and were he makes VERY GOOD money. And honestly, Europeans come to NHL for money. As Canadians go to russia....for money. The Stanley cup which is a the holly grail in Canada for the rest of the world has the british empire brutal world colonisation smell. Russian kids learn their history very good. It takes years for Euros to get over the adaptation period and start fighting for the cup. Money talks for Kaigorodov and nothing else. Can you really blame him.

Muckler just said yesterday on Kaigorodov. It will take money. And I am quoting. . "For good money you can get anything from Russia".

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
SENATOR said:
Just come down from mount Olympus, will you. NHL is not only butter and bread in the world. Kai plays for his home town, where he grew up and were he makes VERY GOOD money. And honestly, Europeans come to NHL for money. As Canadians go to russia....for money. The Stanley cup which is a the holly grail in Canada for the rest of the world has the british empire brutal world colonisation smell. Russian kids learn their history very good. It takes years for Euros to get over the adaptation period and start fighting for the cup. Money talks for Kaigorodov and nothing else. Can you really blame him.

Muckler just said yesterday on Kaigorodov. It will take money. And I am quoting. . "For good money you can get anything from Russia".
Again, what about when his contract is up? Why would his team risk losing him for nothing?

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
seems to me....

SENATOR said:

if they have to pay the team 3-5 million, they could offer that to the player.

I wouldnt call 3-5 million whispering.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
SENATOR said:
Or he could just go play for the Sens and let the little Russian team take the NHL to court over it. Probably lose him for absolutly nothing in the end. The Russian federation is playing chicken with a group that just stood up a billion dollar union. Do you think they are scared of a court case with a Russian club team?

Timmy

Feb 2, 2005
ryz said:
Or he could just go play for the Sens and let the little Russian team take the NHL to court over it. Probably lose him for absolutly nothing in the end. The Russian federation is playing chicken with a group that just stood up a billion dollar union. Do you think they are scared of a court case with a Russian club team?

Wait till one of those Russian billionnaires takes his five 120' yachts and blockades the St Lawrence Seaway with them until you return his Malkin.

Then who will be laughing, my little babushka?

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
So he stays. If he's got a better deal there then he should. Lots of second rounders never play in the NHL. Plenty of good players available from other countries to draft.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
Timmy said:
Wait till one of those Russian billionnaires takes his five 120' yachts and blockades the St Lawrence Seaway with them until you return his Malkin.

Then who will be laughing, my little babushka?
You think the Russian owner of whichever team loses a player could go into a US court, sue the NHL over breach of an agreement that every other Euro country has signed onto and go back with something worth their while? It's not gonna happen.

Anyway, are we going to see a steep reduction on Russian rookies entering the league if this thing stretches on into a few years?

Captain Ron

Jun 9, 2003
Gardnerville, NV
Visit site
ryz said:
Anyway, are we going to see a steep reduction on Russian rookies entering the league if this thing stretches on into a few years?

I think that is probably a major motivation for Russia turning down the IIHF deal. They would love nothing more than to be able to keep players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Frolov, etc. If a Russian player was never drafted in the NHL again they would be very happy.

GSC2k2*

I think Russian players might consider moving when one of their teammates misses a breakaway and winds up wearing cement galoshes at the bottom of the Volga.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
No way will Kaigorodov get his club $3 to $5 million. This isn't football. Now, Ottawa may shell out over $150,000 thousand, but they may have to pay nothing. By the sounds of it, Kaigorodov can give 2 weeks notice to the club and leave. That sounds free to me.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I hope no one pays more than 1 million dollars to bring ANYONE over. Blackball Russia, leave them out of any IIHF sanctioned events...don't draft a single player. They're pulling a "you need us more than we need you" act, and I couldn't disagree more.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
nomorekids said:
I hope no one pays more than 1 million dollars to bring ANYONE over. Blackball Russia, leave them out of any IIHF sanctioned events...don't draft a single player. They're pulling a "you need us more than we need you" act, and I couldn't disagree more.

News for you, IIHF might be licking NHL's butt but their are not stupid. Russia will never be out of IIHF events as Russia is the richest member of IIHF.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
gscarpenter2002 said:
I think Russian players might consider moving when one of their teammates misses a breakaway and winds up wearing cement galoshes at the bottom of the Volga.

Oh please.

Most or all of the 1980 Russian Olympic team are still alive today.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Spongebob said:
I think that is probably a major motivation for Russia turning down the IIHF deal. They would love nothing more than to be able to keep players like Ovechkin, Malkin, Datsyuk, Frolov, etc. If a Russian player was never drafted in the NHL again they would be very happy.

They're playing with fire. I wouldn't be suprised to see the players strike in Russia, or stage other work actions, if it's made too difficult for them to earn a higher income in North America. No seems to be considering what the Russian players want. They have yet to be heard from, but they'll have a lot of influence on how this plays out.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Siberian said:
News for you, IIHF might be licking NHL's butt but their are not stupid. Russia will never be out of IIHF events as Russia is the richest member of IIHF.

Bob Goodenow? Are you negotiating for Russia now?

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
SENATOR said:
The projected fee could be in the neighborhood, between 3 and 5 million dollars for Kaigorodov’s rights. That’s what we are talking about.

Or, they could just wait until his contract expires with Magnitogorsk and pay nothing in transfer fees.

A Good Flying Bird*

nomorekids said:

Well, that's one option I suppose.
Not a very good one, IMO.

I tell you, one thing that always lurks in the back of my mind is the Russian Mafia.

There were lots of rumored shakedowns in the NHL when the Russians first came over. And I wonder if the NHL might be opening itself up to more trouble if it starts taking RUssian stars without paying compensation.

Sounds far fetched, I know. But I remember a lot of buzz and concerns that the mafia situation was beginning to tamper with the league's credibility. IE ... Extortion. Fixed games, etc.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If he's earning so much more in Russia why would he even want to come to the NHL?

The Senators should just wait until he's off contract and go from there. If he wants to come he comes for no fee, if he rather play in Russia then let him.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
TinCanCommunications said:
Well, that's one option I suppose.
Not a very good one, IMO.

I tell you, one thing that always lurks in the back of my mind is the Russian Mafia.

There were lots of rumored shakedowns in the NHL when the Russians first came over. And I wonder if the NHL might be opening itself up to more trouble if it starts taking RUssian stars without paying compensation.

Sounds far fetched, I know. But I remember a lot of buzz and concerns that the mafia situation was beginning to tamper with the league's credibility. IE ... Extortion. Fixed games, etc.

I see what you're saying...to an extent...but the NHL can't exactly allow itself to be extorted, either. I'm sure there are plenty of Russian owners who see their NHL counterparts as bloasted cashcows, ripe for the milking. Maybe they are. But as one poster put it, these are "soccer-style transfer fees," but the NHL isn't a soccer-level entity, and it's not making soccer-level profits. Why is it that only Russia feels that it needs these kinds of transfer fees, anyway? Do they feel they're producing better talent than Finland\Sweden\CR\Slovakia? It's ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->