Post-Game Talk: K .... (Leafs lose 3-1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Yeah for sure. Let's keep in mind though that the goal is to win the cup, and to do that, we will probably need both Leo and Johnsson at some point, plus this was Leo's first game back after an injury and he provides an element that we sorely lack that will be important in the playoffs. Let's give Babcock some credit here and trust that he knows what he's doing. Martin isn't playing any more, he's also a veteran and a gud pro and all that so that should tell people that Babcock is flexible and capable of adjusting. We'll see what happens in the playoffs, if Leo plays every game, plays consistently poorly and Johnsson never gets to play, then there'll be reason to question his moves. For now though, let's just take it easy. I'll be curious to see if Johnsson gets to play in our last 3 games, that'll be a pretty big sign, let's hope he gets at least one more game at some point.

That's the good thing with Babcock. While he may be the last one to come to a realization, he'll make the necessary adjustment sooner or later. (Just waiting on for Hyman to the third line adjustment and we'll be all good,Babs)

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
they were called out because they were lousy defensively and constantly got scored on

Right but you can’t have it both ways, you can’t use plus/minus to criticize and then tell someone they can’t use it to commend.

It’s not a great stat when it’s negative or positive anyways.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Leaf Nation is all over the place.

We need to bring in vets for the youth. So we sign Marleau, trade a draft pick for another and folks rejoice.

And now the plan is to start a rookie over a vet? A hard working Alternate Captain?

This vet is coming off injury in a game the team didn’t care about on the tail end of a back to back in which we took it so seriously we started the back up?

C’mon Leaf Nation. The search for scapegoats is exhausting.

Not a scapegoat at all. From my viewings Johnsson has been more dangerous in the offensive zone, skate quicker, and is a capable pk guy. I don’t care about the age of the guys that play I care that Babcock sticks to his word and makes his team with the best players available. If it were up to me I would love a lineup like this:

Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Marner
JVR - Bozak - Brown
Johnsson - Plekanec - Hyman

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
That’s not a valid argument.

Kadri and Marleau get similar usage more consistently and they are much higher in terms of possession.

No one is saying that Komarov needs to be at 54%.

But 43%ish is crap. Simply put.

He should be near 48% like Kadri and Marleau
There's something Komarov had that the aforementioned don't: he PKs and is usually on the ice after it ends. During the one or two minutes that follow a successful PK, the opposing team has an established zone presence and is generally in a rush to direct pucks at the net before the penalized player can help his buddies out.

But then again, that doesn't explain why he's also on the PP or why his numbers are still crap when he would be on the ice as part of the opposing team in the line in the prior example.... Komarov has been trash and Babcock's insistence on playing him is a bit concerning.

Last edited:

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Maybe.

He gets $8m a year to implement a method and change the culture.

If the biggest issue is that you’d rather see a Marlie play over Komarov... that’s pretty easy to take.
How much of an upgrade is Komarov to Matt Martin? I'd say that's just special teams, because he's regressed hard in every other criteria. If you're a forward-thinking coach, you want to play guys who are in the same niche as Komarov but much younger and presumably on the rise. That's guys like Kapanen and potentially Grundstrom. I can understand the culture POV, and it makes sense with a core so young, but not taking advantage of an AHL development system tailored to the Leafs' specified style of play is not rewarding meritocracy and in turn contributes to a culture of complacency. There's a relevant PP threat on the team in Leivo... Hell even Plekanec can help win draws and crap. Why is Komarov on the PP?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Man someone trying to argue why Komarov is valuable and should be playing even though when every single stat shows that he's a liability and has no value when he plays is pretty crazy.. Then again there's people out there that try to argue everything even if they're completely and objectively wrong.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We played a “meh” game, but the Jets are good, and we were tired. Even still, could have gone either way, they got the bounces scoring on point shots, and we didnt.

Mostly just hope Dermott is healthy for the playoffs. Also hope that Babs sees that the 4th line is significantly worse with Leo over Komarov - not holding my breath on that one though, Babs loves him some uncle Leo. Not that Leo is a terrible player, but we’re clearly a better team (IMO) with Johnsson in his spot.

Reactions: Dr C

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
If I use the name the bat signal goes out and all hell breaks loose.

You’ll find that Komarov’s performance over the slump and pre-slump was very consistent.

No one was calling for that line to be broken up when the other player was scoring. It was only when he went cold that the scapegoating began. Said player also went dry on the PP... where Komarov wasn’t and Marner has been all year.
You're bending over backwards defending who has probably been our worst forward this year.

Calling out bad play is not "scapegoating," maybe you should familiarize yourself with simple terms before enacting your passive-aggressive anti-Kadri Schick :laugh:

Who the f*** does this guy think he's fooling???

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
I loved Komarov, I bought his jersey 3 years ago.

Now? Stick a fork in him. He's made his millions, he's good, we shouldn't feel badly for him, he's done his job. I wish him well. This will be the last year of the Komatrain. I just made that word up cause, why not?

I had the feeling we'd lose tonight, didn't feel good about it. What makes it worse is that Winnipeg fans are the worst.

Whatever. Realistically speaking, I'm gonna be happy with one series victory. Give me that and I'm good for the year.

The playoffs are a different puck game altogether, it's going to be dirty , and the refs will call less. We can't rely on the rules (isn't that insane?)

We'll see how much fortitude this team has.

Yamazaki

Feb 9, 2018
Sometimes we leaf fans forget how fortunate of a situation were in. 2 years ago we were a last place team, we’re not even hitting our peak and we’re a cup contender.

3rd game in 4 nights
Back up goalie
I thought we out played them well despite them playing dirty.

I truly believe this win is probably the biggest in the season for the jets. They’re obsessed with the leafs and they got great goaltending tonight and we got good goaltending.

On to the next one

I don’t want to see Komarov play again but since he is I hope he finds his game from a few weeks ago.

Last edited:

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
They are one of the highest scoring teams but none of their superstars have superstar like point totals. Depth is great but there comes a time when you can’t afford to just continuously roll your lines. You have to rely on your star players.

We will see if Babcock does that or just watches as Tampa (our most likely opponent) plays guys like Kucherov and Stamkos for 20+ minutes to seal playoff games while we are just happy keeping the game close and rolling 4 lines.

Honestly, I think you're nitpicking.

1st - Youre throwing out Matthews and Marner right off the bat, which im not sure why. They're sophomores, one of which would have 40 goals now if he hadnt been injured a quarter of the season.

2nd - Youre throwing out Rielly for "reasons". Like, the rules apply to him as they do to the rest of the league. You cant simultaneously say Riellys points dont count because hes getting PP time while including the PP time of the guys youre comparing him too.

3rd - Kadri and JvR are having career goalscoring years. You also disregard that for "reasons"

and again, were the third highest scoring team in the league. Who cares how the points are distributed?

I also bluntly disagree with your assessment of "depth". Depth is important in the playoffs, and I have no doubt that when the time comes Matthews and Marner will do amazing things for us, while the depth which you disregard will pick up the slack.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
I fear Big, Strong, Physical teams will give the Leafs problems.

Maybe.

I also think if we skate and play to our potential our talent and speed would give lots of big/strong/physical teams fits.

Last night someone could easily argue we were in control or even with them until we went to 5 D and hit a wall.

Playing a back to back, 3 in 4 nights is already a huge climb but then going down to 5 D and the guy leaving the game being one of your best? Just too much to overcome.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Maybe.

I also think if we skate and play to our potential our talent and speed would give lots of big/strong/physical teams fits.

Last night someone could easily argue we were in control or even with them until we went to 5 D and hit a wall.

Playing a back to back, 3 in 4 nights is already a huge climb but then going down to 5 D and the guy leaving the game being one of your best? Just too much to overcome.

Even a red hot Mitch Marner couldn't make much impact on a big Jets team that shutdown Leafs offense fairly significantly.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I’m fairness people like plus and minus when it suits their agenda. Bozak and Kessel were constantly called out over it.

The stats not great. Sometimes it indicates problems. Kessel Bozak was a problem. They lived off of the PP though.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Maybe.

Polak is half a D at best. We were down to 4 basically.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Even a red hot Mitch Marner couldn't make much impact on a big Jets team that shutdown Leafs offense fairly significantly.

The Leafs had 11 high danger chances to the Jets only having 7.

This was on a back to back, 3rd game in 4 nights with only 5D for 2/3'rds of the game. Jets were also rested and coming off an embaressing loss to a no name goalie.

Leafs also got BADLY jobbed on a few non penalty calls.

Maybe we should trade both Marner and Nylander for Doughty tho. That would make us a much bigger and tougher team.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Anyone that makes it sound like we got worked or badly outplayed by some big mean team didnt really watch.

We were +4 in the HDCF category and thats like the third best tally since the start of Febuary.

That's a much different game if we're fresh, have 6D and not getting screwed by the refs for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->