Dreger: JVR not expected back with the leafs

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Three season in a leafs uniform going up and down from the marlies. I know kapanen. He hasn’t even scored 10 goals yet and leafs fans are expecting him to produce JVR numbers? Cmon lets be honest here. I know he’s an amazing prospect, but to expect JVR production right out the gate is a bit silly one would think.
Who knows what he could do if he ever got on Matthews wing if Babcock would ever wake the **** up and get Hyman off that line. I like Hyman but hes not a 1st liner.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Three season in a leafs uniform going up and down from the marlies. I know kapanen. He hasn’t even scored 10 goals yet and leafs fans are expecting him to produce JVR numbers? Cmon lets be honest here. I know he’s an amazing prospect, but to expect JVR production right out the gate is a bit silly one would think.

It's not that Kapanen or Johnsson are going to replace JVR's production. It's just a cap situation. Two wingers are going to get big raises soon, Marner and Nylander. Those two guys with future growth might/should duplicate JVR's goal scoring and more. That's what good teams older, too expensive players leave replaced by younger, cheaper and hopefully just as good players.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Look at how the Lucic/Eriksson/Ladd/Okposo/Oshie contracts are going.

Be wary of going long on the good not great player.

It's not so much choosing Marleau over JVR as preferring a short-term commitment to Marleau over a long-term commitment with JVR. Babcock doesn't really like him that much, as evidenced by his TOI. Doesn't work hard enough for him. They're not giving him 7 years.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
No surprise. The leafs are actually a well managed team these days. I'm sure one of the other teams with less than stellar GMs will offer a stupid contract only to be regretful a year later. He'll probably end up in MON or VAN on some ridiculous 7x7 deal.

Reactions: Devonator

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
I would JVR is one of the top 10 scoring left wingers in the entire league and almost 10 years younger. Heck I’m a ducks fan and Rakell can barely tie his goal ratio this point in the season. Marleau is by far inferior to JVR on the left wing position both age wise and production wise. I can care less about defensive counter arguments. Toronto is dropping the ball on this one badly.

This analysis is so short sighted. It’s not like the leafs have an option to sign JVR for 2 years. His 30 goals will be missed but he is a replaceable piece. Need the future cap room. Or use the Bozak JVR money on Tavares and a young cheap winger from the marlies. That would replace the goals and set the leafs up down the middle for 6 years.

Reactions: Drew311

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
They should've traded him to get something out of him, before he departs.

They can always move his rights at the draft. As for where JVR ends up, I just think it makes too much sense for him to end up in the Big Apple with the Rangers. He was a Rangers fan growing up and with New York having all sorts of spots available, I think they'll get JVR on a sweetheart deal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
it'd be disgusting in the defensive zone to say the least

You focus tomuch on defense, that line would have ONE job and that's to score goals that's it, you don't worry about defense with that line as long as it does it's job which is generate offense.

Defense falls to others.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brilliant philosophy...

Well the Pats live by the "do your job" motto, they don't ask players to do things they can't do and they been to what? 8 super blows since 2001?

JVR's job is to score, that's it,that is his job, and that is the job of any line he's on, it can't be a shut down line that WILL fail he's a scorer, that and that alone is his job.

Defense falls to others

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
It was destined.
The guy can score....but ever since he cemented himself to the Bozak line, it was clear he wasn't in our top6 plans.

Had Babcock transitioned him into Matthews or Nylanders scoring winger....than we would be talking a different story.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
Definately a productive player since being acquired by the Leafs but very lazy in the defensive and neutral zones. His offensive production wont be replaced easily but someone like Kapanen could probably score 20 goals if given a real shot.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Well the Pats live by the "do your job" motto, they don't ask players to do things they can't do and they been to what? 8 super blows since 2001?

JVR's job is to score, that's it,that is his job, and that is the job of any line he's on, it can't be a shut down line that WILL fail he's a scorer, that and that alone is his job.

Defense falls to others
In football you are only supposed to play either offense or defence. You don't play both.

grapes55

Sep 14, 2017
theneckguard.wordpress.com
Yeah it kinda sucks losing a 30 goal guy for nothing but it makes NO sense for the Leafs to pay 6+ million for a guy that plays some of the weakest and least minutes on the team. He's done a hell of a job producing with the ice time he's had but JVR is just too much of a liability with Bozak.

While we definitely take a hit in the scoring department, our 3rd line becomes less of a liability, which could also free up the Kadri line to get some more offensive starts.

Reactions: Drew311

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

Defense falls to others
The Pats have also been successful by knowing when to cut bait on productive players before getting locked into bad contracts....

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
I would JVR is one of the top 10 scoring left wingers in the entire league and almost 10 years younger. Heck I’m a ducks fan and Rakell can barely tie his goal ratio this point in the season. Marleau is by far inferior to JVR on the left wing position both age wise and production wise. I can care less about defensive counter arguments. Toronto is dropping the ball on this one badly.
yup for sure you never watch the leafs play, must just watch highlights, he is the softest, and most frustrating player to watch in the D zone, most nights he has no compete, I will be glad when he is finally gone, he can go be a defensive nightmare for someone else that will be stuck with them for a min of 6 years lol.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
JVR screwed himself on his last deal. He should of signed for six.
His last deal covered 4 RFA years + 2 UFA seasons, and was signed after year 2 of his ELC.

During these 2 years, he averaged 19.3 goals and 20.9 assists per 82 games.

Difficult to justify $6M, especially with his defensive prowesses...

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
His last deal covered 4 RFA years + 2 UFA seasons, and was signed after year 2 of his ELC.

During these 2 years, he averaged 19.3 goals and 20.9 assists per 82 games.

Difficult to justify $6M, especially with his defensive prowesses...

Just give him a 5 for two or three years. That should do it.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

Three seasons? He was given a few games the last couple of seasons on the 4th line to get experience. With the Mariles as a 20 year old he was PPG.

This season he's played a bottom six role and is on pace for roughly 15 goals with no power play time and he's killing penalties. He also plays a solid defensive game and is likely one of the top 10 fastest skaters in the league. But since you seem to know so much about him, please tell me again why JVR at 6 - 7M is such a huge upgrade over Kapanen on his ELC.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boutette

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Maybe, he's a good fit for Anaheim?

Rakell should remain with Getzlaf and JVR shouldn't be used on our shutdown line so no playing with Kesler. Don't see him fitting anywhere unless it's with Henrique but don't want Ritchie on the 4th line.

Don't really want him and don't see us paying what it would take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad