Dreger: JVR not expected back with the leafs

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
Brown is already more or less a 20/20 guy. Saying Kapanen and his 9pts in 46 games or Leivo who can't even get into 20 games this year or Johnssson with 2 games of NHL experience can all "easily" score 20/20 Is optimistic to say the least.
I said they were easily capable of scoring 20/20 with improved situation and opportunity. There is a very big difference there. We've already touched on the fact that they have been buried in the lineup due to the Leafs forward depth, so not really sure why you felt the need to list their games played.

The fact is, the Leafs have guys that have been buried by depth and are ready to step in and take a spot. That wasn't happening as long as JVR was here. They don't need all of them to do so, just one to mitigate the loss of JVR as much as possible. I get that you might not think much of the players I listed from when you searched their stats, but I assure you that there will be a few 20-goal scores from that bunch.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
The Leafs must really value Marleau's experience and leadership because JVR>Marleau.

They are only seven points apart, with Marleau having 34 points 5 on 5, and JvR 29 points 5 on 5 and 18 points on the PP. Marleau plays both ends of the ice, and is far better defensively. I'd say, they are pretty much a wash. JvR is the superior scorer and PP expert, Marleau better at everything else.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gee, Dredger how insightful. 95% of Leaf fans knew LAST summer he wasn't going to be resigned. For cap reasons, and really his overall play doesn't warrant a big salary that other teams will pay. Good for JVR for having a stellar season, but in a cap world and the Leafs have youngsters that are going to making big money soon, there was no space for JVR on the Leafs.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
The Leafs must really value Marleau's experience and leadership because JVR>Marleau.
JVR is much more dangerous offensively. Marleau has faced a higher quality of competition and has been on PP2, while JVR has been on PP1, but Marleau doesn't seem to have near the skill of JVR at this stage of his career. That being said, I wouldn't undue the Marleau signing.

Reactions: 405Exit

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
Something about... wanting to win..?

I don't know. It sometimes almost seems like the primary objective of an NHL franchise isn't asset management. The fools.
You know you can do both at the same time right? To not get any assets for him and to just let him walk is incredibly dumb.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
If we let JVR go and re-sign bozak I’ll be livid. I’ve had enough of him, either keep jvr and get rid of Bozie or let him both walk after the playoffs.

Bring in Joe Thornton at 5-5.5M/2Y.

Matthews
Thornton
Kadri
Aaltonen/Komarov

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
You know you can do both at the same time right? To not get any assets for him and to just let him walk is incredibly dumb.

I disagree completely. Trading him before the playoffs, when the team is playing fantastic and has a chance to go far, would have been incredibly dumb.

In my opinion.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

CheMxDawG

Jan 26, 2017
JVR to Carolina

Sign Eric Staal next July

Get Marc Staal at retained price

Stanley Cup 2020

Leafs1993

Jan 25, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Please name the few who can "easily" put up 20/20 next season?

There are only 10 guys who are likely to hit 40pts as rookies in the entire NHL this year, but apparently the Leafs are hiding a few of them for unknown reasons.

There are a few that could have 20/20 next year with better defensive upside.
Namely Kasperi Kapanen, Andreas Johnsson being the most likely. Each of those two have been PPG in the AHL. Not saying that means they will immediatly impact in nhl, but its not crazy to think either. Some other dark horses are Carl Grundstrom and Yegor Korshkov. Grundstrom really impressed in training camp this year.

If Kappy or Johnsson can reach atleast 40 its a much better scenario IMO.

Kappy/Johnsson less offensive upside (ATM) better defensive upside @ entry level contracts > JvR better offensive upside (atm) less defensive upside @ 5.5-7m

Its a risk I would be willing to take.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
I disagree completely. Trading him before the playoffs, when the team is playing fantastic and has a chance to go far, would have been incredibly dumb.

In my opinion.
I haven't tasted the playoffs in a very long time so our thought process is probably miles apart. However, the Leafs are still such a young team with a fantastic young core and I feel like their time for doing these kinds of things should be down the road a bit. Could have gotten a really nice package for him.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
If we let JVR go and re-sign bozak I’ll be livid. I’ve had enough of him, either keep jvr and get rid of Bozie or let him both walk after the playoffs.

Matthews
Thornton
Kadri
Aaltonen/Komarov
the thought of Leafs going after Tavares makes no sense to me at all, unless we let all 3 guys go and bring in J.T and a vet winger. All in all I kinda want Tavares to go to MTL

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
This is actually a perfect opportunity for BargainBin to seize.
Trade Pacs and get good value at the draft and replace him with JVR.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Hands down JVR is better Than Marleau. Toronto is dropping the ball on this one for sure. Now it’s time for Anaheim or Detroit or Jersey to finally get a 30+ goal scorer on the LW for nothing but cash. No assets wasted.

Not sure what Toronto is thinking here. That Marleau signing looks mighty ridiculous now with JVR being expendable.

Edmonton needs to be all over him he's perfect for Mcdavid

I don’t even think you guys can afford him with all the signings you just made and new contracts expiring. It’s Ducks, Wings, VGK, and Panthers in on JVR.

Last edited by a moderator:

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
JVR is much more dangerous offensively. Marleau has faced a higher quality of competition and has been on PP2, while JVR has been on PP1, but Marleau doesn't seem to have near the skill of JVR at this stage of his career. That being said, I wouldn't undue the Marleau signing.

I would JVR is one of the top 10 scoring left wingers in the entire league and almost 10 years younger. Heck I’m a ducks fan and Rakell can barely tie his goal ratio this point in the season. Marleau is by far inferior to JVR on the left wing position both age wise and production wise. I can care less about defensive counter arguments. Toronto is dropping the ball on this one badly.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
There aren't though there is nobody on the farm that can do what he does

Kapanen and Johnsson are both capable of 20 goals if put in the right situation. They would also be much cheaper options and allow the Leafs to get better at other positions. JVR is a 3rd line winger right now and there's no way the Leafs will pay him what he wants/deserves.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I don't think you have any prospects who will put up 30/30...?

We don't need a 30 goal prospect, because we have potential 20 goal prospects who can make up part of the loss, and the money that frees up goes to other areas to make the team better.

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018

Matthews
Thornton
Kadri
Aaltonen/Komarov

So your team gets older while other teams get younger. Sounds like a plan.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Edmonton needs to be all over him he's perfect for Mcdavid

I'm not sure you actually watch JVR. He doesn't have the speed to keep up with McDavid. JVR scores his goals from within five feet of the net, he doesn't need McDavid to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad