JVR-Bozak-Marner or JVR-Bozak-Brown ?

Minus Mitch

Oct 17, 2017
It’ll be very interesting to see how they do with Brown. The first all round winger they’ve had to play with.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
I think it's pretty clear with Bozak/JVR - they can score but get scored on just as much. Too many nights off, and too lazy. It's been like that for a few years so the criticism is warranted. Perhaps Babcock deserves a bit of flack for refusing to put them on different lines. If the goal is to contend, a line like that will be exposed, especially in the playoffs - as they were against Wash.
Ignoring their defensive deficiencies and focusing on the goal scoring, is short-sighted IMO

I'm going to tap out of this and defer to Lou.

If there were better options, he would have traded for or promoted from within.

As it stands, this is our best option.

I'm going to put some Guinesss in the fridge and enjoy the game. Or Impractical Jokers if the game sucks.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I think it's pretty clear with Bozak/JVR - they can score but get scored on just as much. Too many nights off, and too lazy. It's been like that for a few years so the criticism is warranted. Perhaps Babcock deserves a bit of flack for refusing to put them on different lines. If the goal is to contend, a line like that will be exposed, especially in the playoffs - as they were against Wash.
Ignoring their defensive deficiencies and focusing on the goal scoring, is short-sighted IMO

Is there a middle ground where we acknowledge their flaws but don't spend all game waiting for them to screw up so we can magnify every mistake?

Bozak and JVR deserve criticism, they don't deserve people actively trying to find ways to blame them for every possible scenario.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Is there a middle ground where we acknowledge their flaws but don't spend all game waiting for them to screw up so we can magnify every mistake?

Bozak and JVR deserve criticism, they don't deserve people actively trying to find ways to blame them for every possible scenario.

I agree. They definitely haven't been good together defensively over the years. But at some point, it's kinda on the coach to actually find the solution, no? Whether that's splitting them up or not.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
I agree. They definitely haven't been good together defensively over the years. But at some point, it's kinda on the coach to actually find the solution, no?

Totally, they have been together for multiple years now under three different coaches, someone must have a reason. Bozak and JVR are just playing where they are told. They need to play both sides of the ice but if they are the biggest problem we have how bad can things really be.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
FYI, for anyone interested:

The line of Hyman-Matthews-Nylander has been on the ice for 0 goals against.
The line of Marleau-Kadri-Komarov has been on the ice for 0 goals against.
The line of JVR-Bozak-Marner has been on the ice for 7 goals against.
The line of Martin-Moore/Fehr-Brown has been on the ice for 3 goals against.

This is all even strength. And doesn't include 5v5 goals allowed when mixed lines were on the ice; only those specific combinations.
Whats funny is that Matthews has been on the ice for one goal against all year. Marner was his winger. I believe Kadri is in the same boat but Ill double check

Reactions: MJ65

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I would acquire Neal before trading JVR - I believe Neal is better option for the playoffs run (if that's the reason why JVR is on roster)

I believe we can get more value by trading JVR to whatever we give up for Neal

Last edited:

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008
It’ll be very interesting to see how they do with Brown. The first all round winger they’ve had to play with.
They played with Brown before and the outcome wasn't any different. A line that spent too much time in the D zone and got scored on more than they scored. Brown was the motor that Bozak played off of in a 2 man cycle game while JVR road shotgun and Brown was the work horse backtracking more than either of the 2.

What will be interesting is how Marner does with Martin, Moore/ Fehr. He no longer has to be the first forchecker in as that will be Martin, be the puck retrieval guy and be the first one back in the neutral zone. With 2 guys that compete and play a much more structured game this will be a benefit to Marner to do his thing where less is more do to the fact the others will work and do the little things right. He has grown bad habits with the other 2 taking on too much doing too much.

Ironically as it may seem to most Marner isn't being punished. The other 2 are to start working more and be harder to play against that's what this is about. Brown can play anywhere and during the course of the season I'm expecting him to have played on all 4 lines at some points. He's the ultimate depth player glad we have him.

Last edited:

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Tyler Bozak ... had another good game.

The play that started the winning goal, a rush by Bozak, who for some strange reason, dumped it in and directly went to chase the puck.

Bozak!? He did what? He did that? WTF!!!

Okay, got to watch this, as he channels his inner-Hyman ...

Bozak did a decent job of getting on top of the defense quickly ... kept the play alive ... then it eventually goes back to the point ... and Brown pokes in the point shot for a garbage goal!!!!! They all count!!!!

They did not even give Bozak an assist on the play.

Never seen this before!

Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Tyler Bozak ... had another good game.

The play that started the winning goal, a rush by Bozak, who for some strange reason, dumped it in and directly went to chase the puck.

Bozak!? He did what? He did that? WTF!!!

Okay, got to watch this, as he channels his inner-Hyman ...

Bozak did a decent job of getting on top of the defense quickly ... kept the play alive ... then it eventually goes back to the point ... and Brown pokes in the point shot for a garbage goal!!!!! They all count!!!!

They did not even give Bozak an assist on the play.

Never seen this before!

Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!
Go Leafs Go!
Bozak and Brown were excellent down low. They gave us some of the cycle that line has been missing.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bozak had way more jump in his step tonight right from the get go, he actually looked fast. Good to see, for my money, outside of faceoffs he's been lethargic and uninspired to start the year. Tonight was great.

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
We all know JVR has major consistency issues, and barely puts in a baseline effort behind his own blueline.

Is it crazy to think it'll rub off on Marner? I feel like Bozak's style just sort of... matches whoever he plays with, bit of a copycat center. So if you take JVR off that line and get someone else on there with a better motor, your problem is solved.

How about this?

Hyman - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - Marner
4th.

Marner learns to defend on the wing from our best defensive winger...

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bozak and Brown were excellent down low. They gave us some of the cycle that line has been missing.

Brown is very good that way. Mitch is more interested in offense and that's what he was drafted for. Either way just get Nylander a line he is overbaked to take a C position.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
We all know JVR has major consistency issues, and barely puts in a baseline effort behind his own blueline.

Is it crazy to think it'll rub off on Marner? I feel like Bozak's style just sort of... matches whoever he plays with, bit of a copycat center. So if you take JVR off that line and get someone else on there with a better motor, your problem is solved.

How about this?

Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Komarov - Bozak - Marner
4th.

Marner learns to defend on the wing from our best defensive winger...
Or just switch JVR and Marleau it's not that complicated. And Put Komorav on the 4th line he's not that good. Is this really rocket science?

Marleau - Bozak - Marner
JVR - Kadri - Brown
Komarov-Moore-Martin

Shanty

July hockey is where bridges are burned
Jan 9, 2010
Toronto
Why would you put your worst defensive forward on your shutdown line?

This is why I think you put Marner there instead. He's fast enough that he can get back into position, and study Komarov's efficient positioning.

JVR would cause the team havoc on that line. It'd be like putting him on the PK.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
A solid effort by Bozak was doing his best, not a strong game for Brown made some mental errors but scored a big goal

JVR was lazy as usual, he should be motivated to get more involved in his last before he hit free agency

4evaBlue

Bottle of Lightning
Jan 9, 2011
A solid effort by Bozak was doing his best, not a strong game for Brown made some mental errors but scored a big goal

JVR was lazy as usual, he should be motivated to get more involved in his last before he hit free agency

I rather he wouldn't. I don't want management to think even a second about re-signing him. He has enough of a track record, where even if his icetime gets limited, it wouldn't much affect his trade value. If anyone needs to come out of the lineup to make room for Leivo, it is this guy. Let him watch from the presser how others compete.

RLF

May 5, 2014
The Kadri and Matthews line have been terrific. You don't mess with them imo.

I don't have any issues with the lines...except how the Bozak line was doing defensively. It was just in response to line changes. If I was going to create my own combo's, that is what I would go with.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Bozak looked more engaged. In all honesty, I thought JVR did as well, he has a slow first couple steps and personally, I think his lack of mobility gets sometimes confused with laziness (not saying you are ding that). We are used to seeing pretty good skaters on the Leafs, JVR(and Martin) is slow from a standstill, so it appears he is not trying at times. I actually saw him cover to the net and down low into the corner and engage...haven't seen that this year before, that I can remember. The line didn't get scored on, so that's a bonus.lol

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Bozak looked more engaged. In all honesty, I thought JVR did as well, he has a slow first couple steps and personally, I think his lack of mobility gets sometimes confused with laziness (not saying you are ding that). We are used to seeing pretty good skaters on the Leafs, JVR(and Martin) is slow from a standstill, so it appears he is not trying at times. I actually saw him cover to the net and down low into the corner and engage...haven't seen that this year before, that I can remember. The line didn't get scored on, so that's a bonus.lol

That's interesting. I remember seeing JVR in our own zone, standing still, alone above the hash marks facing our net blissfully unaware of what the Dman behind him who he's supposed to be paying attention to are doing. Instead, he's just standing there watching WSH cycle the puck. What a completely useless waste of a body, if I was his teammate I'd want to punch him.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

RLF

May 5, 2014
That's interesting. I remember seeing JVR in our own zone, standing still, alone above the hash marks facing our net blissfully unaware of what the Dman behind him who he's supposed to be paying attention to are doing. Instead, he's just standing there watching WSH cycle the puck. What a completely useless waste of a body, if I was his teammate I'd want to punch him.

lol. Yes, he can do that and not suggesting he doesn't. He did follow a D to the net and then engage in the corner at least once. I still think the biggest issue is his first few steps, they are so slow and he has trouble keeping up. He can't play one on one because of those first few slow steps. Guys are away from him before he can get going. His lack of initial foot speed is an issue defensively, but his ability to score will always make him valuable to any team...especially those he need scoring.

Reactions: Gary Nylund

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

His mind is always on home plate or the house. He lives at home where he makes his bread and butter. He has been working from home since before that was a thing.

bluumax

Mar 7, 2008
Is it just me, or does JVR waste a tap-in every game from Marner? feels like every game this year he's missed a perfect pass from Marner with pretty much an open net in front of him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad