Recalled/Assigned: Justin Holl back to the Marlies

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Hey, I’m convinced lol. But Babcock will Ben another matter - he does seem to like 1 D with a physical edge. I’d just hope one day we can have that guy whose also skilled. Hopefully it’s Holl
Holl isn't very physical from what I've seen. Justin Bourne said as much too. I think liljegren plays tougher than him

ManosArriba

Oct 24, 2017
Holl isn't very physical from what I've seen. Justin Bourne said as much too. I think liljegren plays tougher than him

Liljegren is soft as butter and worse than Nielsen defensively, Holl plays a much more complete and effective game. I don't see why Holl can't be developed into a more offensive Hainsey type defenseman rather than being unfairly compared to knuckle dragger Polak. We have Borgman already who fills that gritty physical role.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Liljegren is soft as butter and worse than Nielsen defensively, Holl plays a much more complete and effective game. I don't see why Holl can't be developed into a more offensive Hainsey type defenseman rather than being unfairly compared to knuckle dragger Polak. We have Borgman already who fills that gritty physical role.
The people who have never watched a Marlie game are going to call you crazy, etc for suggesting Liljegren is not great defensively, trust me lol

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
His mobility with his size is impressive but it'll be interesting to see how he plays against better teams, like Boston, if he gets the chance. More pressure/speed and defensive zone time will be a big test. I thought the knock on him in the AHL was that he's not that stout defensively.
I would like to see more.

Reactions: Bullseye

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
The people who have never watched a Marlie game are going to call you crazy, etc for suggesting Liljegren is not great defensively, trust me lol

Not even gonna argue with anyone. Only gonna point out the obvious. He's 18. In the AHL. As a defenseman. Possibly there's some development room in his future.

Back to Holl. He's 26 and I also want to see more - like the entire remainder of the season.

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Borgman (Carrick)

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Not even gonna argue with anyone. Only gonna point out the obvious. He's 18. In the AHL. As a defenseman. Possibly there's some development room in his future.

Back to Holl. He's 26 and I also want to see more - like the entire remainder of the season.

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Borgman (Carrick)

He is young and I keep saying Lily is 2~ 3 years away from the NHL and 4~5 away from being a top 4, [MOD]

I dont see Holl over Carrick happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bullseye

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He is young and I keep saying Lily is 2~ 3 years away from the NHL and 4~5 away from being a top 4, [MOD]

I dont see Holl over Carrick happening.

I don't have any problems with that timeline for Lily. Young d-men are rushed by too many teams when they are not ready physically and their game has not matured. Dermott is 21. That is about the age I look for Lily as well. I know Holl over Carrick is a long shot but I think his game deserves that.

Last edited by a moderator:

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
If Holl can keep this up, he looks to be ahead of most of our depth right now. He's been a huge surprise for me. Not because I wasn't aware that he was a terrific AHL player, but because my analysis of his game hinted that he wouldn't be able to play his game at the top level. From what I've seen so far, that's been wrong. His outlet game is there, his rushing game is there, his instincts keep up with the pace.

Perfectly put.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I think Holl has just put himself in the mix with Carrick and Borgman. The offence is a nice coincidence for him but not really indicative of what he brings. Take away the goals and he still looks like an NHL player though. Fingers are crossed they have a cheap 5-6-7 D man and an upgrade over Marincin or Carrick.

Reactions: AM34WN29MM16

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is wrong.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Holl
Borgman (Carrick)
Lilly isnt bad defensively. Its just the people pretend they are the only ones who watch the games, and then say stuff like "Lilly is 4 to 5 years away from a top 4 role in the NHL". They act like everybody else are the biased ones. They also say Valiev is this awesome d man.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
You clearly don't watch the Marlies.
He keeps on saying false facts as if no one watches the Marlies but him. Then again he feels Polak is valuable in the lineup so not surprised at the silly comments.
Fact: Lilly is the 2nd best d man on the Marlies when Dermott is playing there, and was also the 2nd best d man on Sweden at the World Juniors. Dont be surprised he is a top 4 d man by next season.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You clearly don't watch the Marlies.

He keeps on saying false facts as if no one watches the Marlies but him. Then again he feels Polak is valuable in the lineup so not surprised at the silly comments.
Fact: Lilly is the 2nd best d man on the Marlies when Dermott is playing there, and was also the 2nd best d man on Sweden at the World Juniors.

Don't be surprised he is a top 4 d man by next season.

I'm sure he will be top pair with Rielly, next season! :thumbu:

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
i really like the roman polak of the last half of last season, but its obvious that guy is long gone.
leafs need to roll Rielly,Gardiner,Hainsey,Zaitsev,Dermott,Holl with Carrick as the spare dman.
Let Borgman go down to pair with Liljegren to get more of a chance to produce offensively

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
True but in the NHL he has to deal Crosby,Malkins, Mcdavid, etc

Yep, and he'll get beat by them sometimes but those players beat even great defenseman a few times a game. Shutting those guys down can be a team effort.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
We know what we have in Borgman, Carrick and Polak. I think we at least need to give Holl a couple more games to see what we have. If it means sending Borgman down for a couple of games so that we can have a look, then so be it. 6'3 205 lb RHD who can skate do not grow on trees.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad