Recalled/Assigned: Justin Holl back to the Marlies

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
In the top 4.next season... Gardiner gets moved in the off season.
  • Rielly
  • Zaitsev
  • Dermott
  • ~
  • Hainsey ~ may take a Polak role on the 3rd pair, (option)
  • ~
  • Borgman
  • Carrick
  • Holl
  • Veliev
  • Rosen

We have room for a top 4 and a 3rd pairing guy which will give us 3 sets of d'men that can play all zones.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
A stud...lol. The scrub is a 26 year old ,2nd round pick playing his first NHL game now. He's a career AHLer, who will most likely be playing in Europe within the next 2 years.

It's been a cute couple of games for him, but his NHL "career" will be ending shortly.

He's the only AHL D besides Dermott worth mentioning right now.....and that includes Valiev, Nielsen, and everyone else thereafter.

Give him a chance, he's paid his dues, he's a top AHL defender, on a top AHL team. There are players that come over late in their careers from the KHL, SHL....we know first-hand from Zaitsev. They are all comparable leagues, he certainly hasn't not looked the part so far.

I mean, the barometer isn't high with Polak, Carrick. I don't think anyone thinks he has a lot of upside but his role is to bea stable, big, defensive partner on a bottom-pairing....and that seems to be a task that he can accomplish.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He's the only AHL D besides Dermott worth mentioning right now.....and that includes Valiev, Nielsen, and everyone else thereafter.

Give him a chance, he's paid his dues, he's a top AHL defender, on a top AHL team. There are players that come over late in their careers from the KHL, SHL....we know first-hand from Zaitsev. They are all comparable leagues, he certainly hasn't not looked the part so far.

I mean, the barometer isn't high with Polak, Carrick. I don't think anyone thinks he has a lot of upside but his role is to bea stable, big, defensive partner on a bottom-pairing....and that seems to be a task that he can accomplish.

And they don’t even need him to be a top 4 guy, if he turns out to be a reliable #5-7 defender for a few seasons, there’s value in that.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
  • Rielly
  • Zaitsev
  • Dermott
  • ~
  • ~
  • Borgman
  • Carrick
  • Holl
  • Veliev
  • Rosen

We have room for a top 4 and a 3rd pairing guy which will give us 3 sets of d'men that can play all zones.

Where's Liljegren ?

leafs10101

Jan 8, 2018

Even if you forget all this, the kid has looked fearless. He makes smooth plays. That's the mark of confidence. Some guys come up and look shell shocked. He and Dermott are playing the same way they played in the AHL despite the huge step up in competition. That says something.

Reactions: Hockeylaw

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
A stud...lol. The scrub is a 26 year old ,2nd round pick playing his first NHL game now. He's a career AHLer, who will most likely be playing in Europe within the next 2 years.

It's been a cute couple of games for him, but his NHL "career" will be ending shortly.
John Kiszkan, aka Johny Bower, RIP.

Everyone knows that if you're a late bloomer you'll never make it.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Marlies watchers have saids for awhile that he deserved a shot. A big, RHD dmen that can play d and skate...
Some wanted him on the opening roster... Ive seen very little if him in the ahl but hes looking good on the 3rd pair.

Maybe he flames out maybe he becomes a useful dmen. I think tits worth keeping him around.

Rielly-hainsey
Gardiner-zaitsev
Dermott-holl/carrick

Wouldn't be terrible going to the playoffs. Very smart mobile d, that can score.

Crap forgot about borgman...

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marlies watchers have saids for awhile that he deserved a shot. A big, RHD dmen that can play d and skate...
Some wanted him on the opening roster... Ive seen very little if him in the ahl but hes looking good on the 3rd pair.

Maybe he flames out maybe he becomes a useful dmen. I think **** worth keeping him around.

Rielly-hainsey
Gardiner-zaitsev
Dermott-holl/carrick

Wouldn't be terrible going to the playoffs. Very smart mobile d, that can score.

Crap forgot about borgman...

Best 3 LHD are Rielly-Gardiner-Dermott, it's Marlies for Borgman so he can get playing time.

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Best 3 LHD are Rielly-Gardiner-Dermott, it's Marlies for Borgman so he can get playing time.

Based on plain it should have been that way from camp as I thought Dermott played better than Borgman. I understand why they went with him though as it is better optics for future Euro signings, and because it wouldn't have hurt to cook Dermott a little longer given his injury reduced rookie season in the AHL.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Based on plain it should have been that way from camp as I thought Dermott played better than Borgman. I understand why they went with him though as it is better optics for future Euro signings, and because it wouldn't have hurt to cook Dermott a little longer given his injury reduced rookie season in the AHL.

Yeah it's fine. I actually thought Dermott was amazing in pre-season and it was only when they put him on the right side that he showed any weakness in his last 1-2 pre-season games which likely cost him a spot. If Dermott had played LD the whole pre-season then he may have made the opening night roster.

All that being said, it worked out the way it did, and happy to have Dermott up right now.

Our RD situation is a bit more interesting. Hainsey and Zaitsev are good but I think we'd like to grab one upgrade there. No disrespect to Holl either, we'll have to evaluate all the way up to the TDL but if he slips or shows the first few games were adrenaline maybe we upgrade. Carrick had a good run lately too.

If you could get someone to bump Hainsey down the line up more, that would be impressive

Rielly-Tanev
Gardiner-Hainsey
Dermott-Zaitsev

OR

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Pysyk
Dermott-Zaitsev

(Don't read too much into the order of the pairings, just the pairings themselves)

If Dermott continues his progress, Gardiner's future will be interesting. Maybe they look at a move in the off-season or a swap early next year, although he likely has more value in the summer, especially if an extension is in place.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
  • Rielly
  • Zaitsev
  • Dermott
  • ~
  • ~
  • Borgman
  • Carrick
  • Holl
  • Veliev
  • Rosen

You forgot that Russian dude they have a verbal agreement with. I wonder if they just don’t bother signing him anymore

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
He’s looked good but he has to be sent back down when either Polak or Hainsey return because he’s an emergency call up. Unless we make some trades he’s going to be in the AHL just due to waivers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
You forgot that Russian dude they have a verbal agreement with. I wonder if they just don’t bother signing him anymore

Igor Ozhiganov - mediocre stats this year. He's 25. Not sure what they'll do, especially if Holl is given the opportunity to play more games, and still looks good.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If Holl can keep this up, he looks to be ahead of most of our depth right now. He's been a huge surprise for me. Not because I wasn't aware that he was a terrific AHL player, but because my analysis of his game hinted that he wouldn't be able to play his game at the top level. From what I've seen so far, that's been wrong. His outlet game is there, his rushing game is there, his instincts keep up with the pace.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
His mobility with his size is impressive but it'll be interesting to see how he plays against better teams, like Boston, if he gets the chance. More pressure/speed and defensive zone time will be a big test. I thought the knock on him in the AHL was that he's not that stout defensively.

Reactions: Mork

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Fun fact I just learned (and forgive if its been brought up): Justin Holl went to the same highschool as freeway Jake Gardiner. Minnetonka High school.

Babcock should play them together, and call the D-Pairing "Purple Rain".

Reactions: BertCorbeau

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Always liked his straightaway speed. He's had a fairy tale couple of games. AHL all star to NHL Record book goals for a rookie defenceman first two games in 24 hours against the state of New York ( or something like that). Depth is good to have, but he'll be sent down when Hainsey and Rielly return. Great showing for the 26 year old. Leafs know they can thro him in there now with some confidence if they need him for depth.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Don't see the Leafs having room for Polak now. Honestly it is refreshing to see all the younger players in the lineup, just let them roll and develop and see what happens. This is where Babs can really shine with his coaching. Leafs will have to make some room with trying to unload Polak and Martin now.

Fans were screaming on here to make D moves, the latest was to trade for S Weber. Your best options are at times is to develop what you have drafted and we are seeing that. And can people be quiet now with the 'Is Hunter over rated?". Just look at the talent drafted here and in the Marlies. Superb job by the management team!

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I've been pumping his tires for awhile. I'll admit that I wasn't sure how well he'd do against NHL opponents but I've been a big fan of his at the AHL level.

Not sure he'll be THIS good moving forward but I think he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Polak and very likely a solid #6-7-8 defenseman going into next season.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
At the very least, he deserves to be the first call up in case of an injury.

Unfortunately, he won't crack the top 6 once everyone is healthy, and there's no sense keeping him in the press box as a 7th defenceman.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
great story, looks interesting , hope he continues it, but if this team is serious or interested in a playoff run Holl should be doing it in the AHL

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I've been pumping his tires for awhile. I'll admit that I wasn't sure how well he'd do against NHL opponents but I've been a big fan of his at the AHL level.

Not sure he'll be THIS good moving forward but I think he's a MASSIVE upgrade over Polak and very likely a solid #6-7-8 defenseman going into next season.

He’s certainly more skilled then Polak.

If he can prove to babcock he can provide the size-game that Polak does he’s the perfect replacement.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If Holl can keep this up, he looks to be ahead of most of our depth right now. He's been a huge surprise for me. Not because I wasn't aware that he was a terrific AHL player, but because my analysis of his game hinted that he wouldn't be able to play his game at the top level. From what I've seen so far, that's been wrong. His outlet game is there, his rushing game is there, his instincts keep up with the pace.

Holl is looking to be yet another succes story of the revamped Leafs development system.

Turning what looked to be nothing into something useful

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad