Just when the NHL seems to get it right - All-Star Game Cancelled . . . well, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
........ speaking of the Olympics:

Lemieux would be honored to captain Canada again

By Karen Price
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, June 24, 2005

If NHL players participate in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy, Mario Lemieux said Thursday it would mean a lot to reprise his role as captain of Team Canada.
"I got a call yesterday from (executive director Wayne Gretzky) asking me to go to camp in August," said Lemieux, speaking of an orientation camp now in the works. "I'm looking forward to that, maybe having a chance to play in the Olympics. I never thought I would play in this one back in 2002, but time went pretty quickly and we're there already."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/penguinslive/s_347072.html

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
it is dumb to cancel the all-star game imo, they can get a lot of buzz with the all-star game in the press

WalterSobchak

Blues Trololol
Mar 11, 2004
Where men chunder
www.larddesigns.com
Marshall said:
Are you trying to say that the NHL is a more recognizable brand than the Olympics?

ummm....no...but that is...ummm...what was I saying again?

oh yeah...even though Olympic Hockey with NHL players get great ratings, the NHL would certainly prefer for their All Star game to get those ratings.

or..well any of their games to get those ratings in the US.

hmm...I had a point somewhere, musta misplaced it.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
MattintheHatt said:
This is part of the problem! THe allstar game is one of the greatest oppertunities for the NHL to market itself and it's players, their personalities, skills, and NO ONE CARES, NOT EVEN US DIEHARD FANS.

Well, I do. It may not be that entertaining hockey, but its a chance to see and honor the NHL's best over a few days, see the best upcoming young players, and for the players to show who they are...that is, if the NHL ran it correctly. The Allstar game could be great for marketing players, it interviews, microphones on players (other than JR) and a little participation by the players in all this.

I guess the NHL will have to wait for next year for this oppertunity.

That said.
Oylmpics >> Allstar Game.

I posed this question already, but how well has it done marketing the game so far? Good quality regular season games with rivalries will draw the fans back, not some abortion of he game on a Sunday afternoon.

babybruin

Oct 28, 2003
vancouver
The only thing Ill miss about All-Star weekend will be the Young Stars game. Ill take Olympic participation over the All-Star game.

A Good Flying Bird*

You know, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around some of the lame, self-involved arguments agains the all-star game.

1. Kids LOVE the all star game.
You get a kid to love a hockey player the way I loved Guy Lafleur when I was five, then you've got a fan for life.

2. All Star games are a tradition. Call me crazy, but in a league that just lost a whole damn season, anything that gives the league some continuity is a good thing.

The damn owners should swallow two homes each.

Problem solved.

They've got their money back and then some.

A Good Flying Bird*

Bruwinz37 said:
No, they can't.

Yes, they can.

Let me show you the courtesy of an explanation.

We all know AllStar games aren't real hockey games. They're showcases. They're tradition.
I may be wrong, but I'm confident enough to make this wager: I bet the NHL All Star game gets a helluva lot more media play than a typical midseason game between the Atlanta Thrashers and PHX Coyotes.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Newsguyone said:
Yes, they can.

Let me show you the courtesy of an explanation.

We all know AllStar games aren't real hockey games. They're showcases. They're tradition.
I may be wrong, but I'm confident enough to make this wager: I bet the NHL All Star game gets a helluva lot more media play than a typical midseason game between the Atlanta Thrashers and PHX Coyotes.

But the choice isn't between the ASG and a "typical midseason game between the Atlanta Thrashers and PHX Coyotes". The league is saying it can't shut down for the Olympics and the ASG and still play an 82 game schedule.

So the choices are then:

Olympics vs ASG - no doubt the NHL participation in the Olympics gets a hell of a lot more media play than the ASG (which currently doesn't even have a TV contract for it). Winner Olympics.

ASG vs 2 or 3 "typical midseason games" - Here the choice is between the ASG and 2-3 games for every team, a total of 30-45 games. The "media exposure" may be slightly better for the ASG, but the revenues for those 30-45 games is signficantly more than the ASG. And which is more cumulative "media exposure", the ASG on ??? (ESPN, USA, TNT) or 3 games apiece on MSG, Fox Sports *, and every other regional sports channel. The revenue delta alone says winner "typical midseason games", since the league is already getting a media hype boost from the olympics.

Trading off the ASG for the Olympics every 4 years is perfectly reasonable.

Kritter471

Feb 17, 2005
Dallas
kdb209 said:
But the choice isn't between the ASG and a "typical midseason game between the Atlanta Thrashers and PHX Coyotes". The league is saying it can't shut down for the Olympics and the ASG and still play an 82 game schedule.

So the choices are then:

Olympics vs ASG - no doubt the NHL participation in the Olympics gets a hell of a lot more media play than the ASG (which currently doesn't even have a TV contract for it). Winner Olympics.

ASG vs 2 or 3 "typical midseason games" - Here the choice is between the ASG and 2-3 games for every team, a total of 30-45 games. The "media exposure" may be slightly better for the ASG, but the revenues for those 30-45 games is signficantly more than the ASG. And which is more cumulative "media exposure", the ASG on ??? (ESPN, USA, TNT) or 3 games apiece on MSG, Fox Sports *, and every other regional sports channel. The revenue delta alone says winner "typical midseason games", since the league is already getting a media hype boost from the olympics.

Trading off the ASG for the Olympics every 4 years is perfectly reasonable.
I agree completely.

That said, I think the other three years should have the All-Star game (especially since 2007 is apparently promised to Dallas). But for marketing purposes, let the NHL get with the IOC/IIHF and cross-promote the ever-lovin'-heck of Olympics hockey and the NHL. Get the casual fans watching that and try to convince them to bring their viewership to the NHL. Olympic hockey is generally great fun to watch, and if you can pull in the new fans, then you've solved the marketing losses you have from not having an All-Star game.

bcrt2000

Feb 17, 2005
Bruwinz37 said:
I posed this question already, but how well has it done marketing the game so far? Good quality regular season games with rivalries will draw the fans back, not some abortion of he game on a Sunday afternoon.

it certainly helped minnesota help re-establish itself as the centre of hockey in the US.

its not just the all-star game event, but the whole week of hockey festivities that occur. it might not be as good on a national level but it does generate buzz at the local level.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I don't mind watching the allstar game itself, but I really enjoy watching the skills competition actually

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I enjoy the all-star game and events....and im sure the fans where the all star game is taking place really enjoy it as well. (with all the events they have before the Skills and Game). Its for FUN.....its a little break from the season where we get some laughs from the announcers and players with Mics. Most of us root for our conference to win it (for bragging rights for that weekend ;) ) and are excited to see our players in it. Dont get rid of it...its a fun event..nothing more...if you dont like it...then dont watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->