Just when the NHL seems to get it right - All-Star Game Cancelled . . . well, maybe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
What absolute friggin' idiocy when trying to win back fans. Keep the Olympics AND All-Star Game and shorten the schedule a couple of games. The story:

NHL may cancel 2006 All-Star game
By Jerry Brown, Tribune
June 23, 2005

While it's almost a certainty the Phoenix Coyotes will be back on the ice at Glendale Arena for the the 2005-06 season, the NHL All-Star game may not.

NHL sources confirmed Thursday that if the league shuts down in February so its players can take part in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy — something the players are pushing hard for — the league would likely cancel the All-Star game and pass over Arizona in the game's rotation for several years.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=43560

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'd take the Olympics and a full season any day. The Olympics are basically an expanded exhibition of stars anyway. I have no problem with the Olympics taking the place of the All Star game once every 4 years. None whatsoever.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
What absolute friggin' idiocy when trying to win back fans. Keep the Olympics AND All-Star Game and shorten the schedule a couple of games. The story:

By Jerry Brown, Tribune
June 23, 2005

While it's almost a certainty the Phoenix Coyotes will be back on the ice at Glendale Arena for the the 2005-06 season, the NHL All-Star game may not.

NHL sources confirmed Thursday that if the league shuts down in February so its players can take part in the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin, Italy — something the players are pushing hard for — the league would likely cancel the All-Star game and pass over Arizona in the game's rotation for several years.

Please don't tell me you are a real hockey fan and you give a rat's ass about the all star game?

Honestly, who cares?

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Jaded-Fan said:
What absolute friggin' idiocy when trying to win back fans. Keep the Olympics AND All-Star Game and shorten the schedule a couple of games.

Yeah, it would be great to have an All-Star-Game and have fewer real competitive games :shakehead

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Bruwinz37 said:
Please don't tell me you are a real hockey fan and you give a rat's ass about the all star game?

Honestly, who cares?

Care more about the all-star game than the olympics? No. But more than 2 or 3 games out of an 80 game season? You bet your ass I do. And it gives some much needed press and telelvision exposure to a league that will need both.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Jaded-Fan said:

By Jerry Brown, Tribune
June 23, 2005

What are the players thinking? At any point during the lockout has the NHLPA taken responsibility for anything? They balk at a proposal months ago that would have prevented a major financial and PR disaster and now begrudgingly accept something worse after a series of threats to start alternative leagues.

I can't imagine the media backlash in the US if an NFL, NBA, or MLB PA threatened to dilute the heritage of their sport to sweeten their pot and advocated ignoring the All-Star game. How is anyone still surprised that the NHL is treated like a 2nd class sport in the States?

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
Care more about the all-star game than the olympics? No. But more than 2 or 3 games out of an 80 game season? You bet your ass I do. And it gives some much needed press and telelvision exposure to a league that will need both.

Sheesh, and I thought it was for 10 year olds.

As far as television exposure, please explain how well that has worked in the past decade?

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Bruwinz37 said:
Sheesh, and I thought it was for 10 year olds.

As far as television exposure, please explain how well that has worked in the past decade?

In other words, they should just stop trying? That's just sad.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
EroCaps said:
In other words, they should just stop trying? That's just sad.

No, I am saying that the All star game hasnt done much to attract fans because it doesnt resemble the actual game at all. In other words, losing ONE all star game doesnt mean anything.

mytor4*

get rid of the allstar game alltogether. it's not worth my time to watch such a useless game. talk about playing shinny. i don't personnaly know any hockey fan that would rather watch an allstar game over a regular season nhl,
ahl,junior, bantom or peewee game. allstar games just suck period.

A Good Flying Bird*

Jaded-Fan said:

By Jerry Brown, Tribune
June 23, 2005

I agree.
The game means nothing to most fans over the age of 16.
But you gotta keep the kids interested in the game.
When I was a kid, I lived for the AllStar game.

Shortsighted move.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I don't care that much for the All Star Game or the Olympics. I'd rather the NHL teams keep playing through the Olympics and decide for themselves whether they want to release their players for it or not.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I hope they do cancel it. Every year I watch it, every year I think it sucked and want my time back.

Hans Moleman: You cost me 5 minutes of my life and I want them back!

Spungo*

The NHL finally does something right. You can have the Olympics or the All-Star break, not both.

p.s. The NHL All-Star game gets zero TV exposure. NBC wasn't going to broadcast it anyway. It's useless.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Spungo said:
The NHL finally does something right. You can have the Olympics or the All-Star break, not both.

Can we choose 'None of the above' on this one?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Hold the all star game during preseason if they don't want to cancel it. Half the preseason games are missing the star players anyway.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:

By Jerry Brown, Tribune
June 23, 2005

I think that cancelling the All-Star Game during an Olympic year is the right call ..... the league can't afford a three week stoppage for Olympics AND a four day stoppage for the All-Star Game. That's nearly four weeks of time taken out of the schedule that has to complete 82 games by the first week in April ..... that's just asking for injuries.

Besides, don't the hockey "experts" claim the Olympics are just one big All-Star game anyway? Well, there you go.

HockeyCritter

Dec 10, 2004
Bruwinz37 said:
No, I am saying that the All star game hasnt done much to attract fans because it doesnt resemble the actual game at all. In other words, losing ONE all star game doesnt mean anything.
Do they even broadcast the NHL All-Star game on network television? I always thought it was a cable only deal. At least there is the outside chance that NBC might actually broadcast an Olympic hockey game.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
E = CH² said:
I hope they do cancel it. Every year I watch it, every year I think it sucked and want my time back.

Hans Moleman: You cost me 5 minutes of my life and I want them back!

Well then just don't watch it and let others do.

I hate baseball, does that mean that the sport should be eradicated from the planet?

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
EroCaps said:
What are the players thinking? At any point during the lockout has the NHLPA taken responsibility for anything? They balk at a proposal months ago that would have prevented a major financial and PR disaster and now begrudgingly accept something worse after a series of threats to start alternative leagues.

I can't imagine the media backlash in the US if an NFL, NBA, or MLB PA threatened to dilute the heritage of their sport to sweeten their pot and advocated ignoring the All-Star game. How is anyone still surprised that the NHL is treated like a 2nd class sport in the States?

How is this the players fault? I think by default everything related to this lockout is the players fault according to most here. This is 100% Bettman's call and he is the one who is deciding not to hold the all star game not the players saying they don't want to play in it. The Olympics is much more important to this sport than an all-star game. But don't get your panties in a wad until its offically cancelled.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
HockeyCritter said:
I think the PA would have to sign off (so to speak) on cancellation of the All-Star game.

I don't know. They had no say in it when Bettman cancelled it last season. Granted it was in the middle of the lockout, but I sincerly doubt it. The PA hates the all-star games. Look how many players come up with "injuries" when they find out they have made the team.

As much as I may enjoy the all-star game, I don't think I would miss it if it were to go away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->