Just to give you an idea of how little the U.S. thinks of hockey...

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
shadoz19 said:
I was reading some of the oddly enough articles on Yahoo News. Usually its about people shooting themselves with nail guns or just something really bizarre. Apparently this was the best place to put the story about Sidney Crosby's jersey being stolen.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&e=9&u=/nm/crime_canada_jersey_dc

What is Hockey coming to in the U.S.????? :(

Well, as an American hockey fan I find it quite laughable that the theft of a 17-year-old's hockey jersey makes national headlines for days up north.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Well, as an American hockey fan I find it quite laughable that the theft of a 17-year-old's hockey jersey makes national headlines for days up north.
"Fan anger and sympathy for Crosby's plight flew across the country last week after the story of the red jersey's disappearance became public, prompting offers of reward from fans for its safe return. "

Fan anger and sympathy flying across the country? Who wrote this?

I'm more angry that this happened, after I think 2 Air Canada emplyees were arrested in vancouver for stealing from luggage. Doesnt really make me all that confident to check my bags. (Last time I flew in Canada, nobody checked me to make sure I got the right bags. Last time I went to Mexico, I couldnt leave the airport without proof that I picked up the right bags).

I dont think too many fans here gave a **** about a jersey.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
CarlRacki said:
Before he turned pro, wouldn't have a Lebron James jersey theft make the same headlines?

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
slats432 said:
Before he turned pro, wouldn't have a Lebron James jersey theft make the same headlines?
Probably and that is equally as stupid!

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
who is Lebron James?

never heard of that guy in my life. Honestly I am not kidding about that, you are are referring to this guy like we should all know who he is for some reason.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
It gives you an idea how little of a news story a jersey being stolen is.

Edit: Lebron James is a 20(I think) year old in the NBA who in high school was hyped as much in the US as Sidney Crosby is now in Canada.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
oh well that is why I never heard of the guy. I never watch NBA. NBA highlights on a sports channel is when I go surfing for something interesting on TV. Like the 24 hour Watching Paint Dry Channel.

I guess that is what is different to the US and Canada. Here in Canada, especially with no hockey to force us to see the odd bit of NBA stories when we are waiting for NHL highlights. We can miss stories like that about some player in the US that will some day be in the NBA. And is about how important the NBA is to most Canadians, placing it as low as the NHL would be to many Americans.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I have heard the name Lebron James, and that he's a pretty good basketball player, but I barely know that.

I guess a good question to ask if wether or not people who don't care about hockey in Canada know who Sydney Crosby is?

X0ssbar

slats432 said:

Yeah - good comparison.

With Lebron is was all bout the HUM-V his mom bought him. She was able to take out an loan based on Lebron's earnings potential. That story wouldn't go away for a while down here.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Top Shelf said:
Yeah - good comparison.

With Lebron is was all bout the HUM-V his mom bought him. She was able to take out an loan based on Lebron's earnings potential. That story wouldn't go away for a while down here.

That has more to do with the obsession some people have with the purity of a player's "amateur" status.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
slats432 said:

Sure, but it would be relegated to the back of the sports section, not front-page news. Big difference.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
grego said:
who is Lebron James?

never heard of that guy in my life. Honestly I am not kidding about that, you are are referring to this guy like we should all know who he is for some reason.
Lebron turned 20 a couple weeks ago, and he is arguably the best player in the league right now. Best player I have seen since Jordan and has the potential to surpass him.

I wish we had someone in hockey that we could say that about as well.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
loudi94 said:
No it wasn't, not in any papers I read.

At first I figured people just meant the sports section, which is still a bit out there but somewhat understandable. Did any newspapers (particularly big national circulars) actually run this as a cover story?

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Epsilon said:
At first I figured people just meant the sports section, which is still a bit out there but somewhat understandable.
I guess theres not much else to talk about in sports right now. Theres football on the weekend, but during the week theres just baseball signings, lack of hockey talks, basketball (which isnt really covered up here), lacross...

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Epsilon said:
At first I figured people just meant the sports section, which is still a bit out there but somewhat understandable. Did any newspapers (particularly big national circulars) actually run this as a cover story?

Not sure if it ran on the cover of a paper, but it was all over the sports pages.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
slats432 said:

No it wouldn't. The US isn't entirely dependent oon basketball for self image the way Canada is for hockey. Canada is basically a world backwater and cvomplete 0 in just about everything, including sports. Hockey is the one and only thing they have, so it gets magnified far beyond anything similar would in the US. Without hockey, they are nothing more than a pooorer, whinier version of America.

Another factor: Try looking at Canadian newspapers. If it weren't for stores about the US or about things happening in the US, it could be printed on half a page. They are desperate for something Canadian to write about.

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
arnie said:
No it wouldn't. The US isn't entirely dependent oon basketball for self image the way Canada is for hockey. Canada is basically a world backwater and cvomplete 0 in just about everything, including sports. Hockey is the one and only thing they have, so it gets magnified far beyond anything similar would in the US. Without hockey, they are nothing more than a pooorer, whinier version of America.

Another factor: Try looking at Canadian newspapers. If it weren't for stores about the US or about things happening in the US, it could be printed on half a page. They are desperate for something Canadian to write about.

Don't hold back; tell us how you really feel.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
arnie said:

So.... what'ur saying is:

Americans like basket ball because their balls are filled with air, while Canadians like hockey because they can sport wood in freezing tempratures !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad