just saw on espnnews

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
they had barry melrose and ej hradek on and they were talking about marketing the game and melrose said that jerry bruckheimer has offered to the league to help promote the young stars and generate a good marketing program for the league.. has anyone else heard about this and if the nhl will go ahead with this?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I remember from the late to mid-90's when NHL had a weekly highlight show in Europe (NHL Power Week), in one episode they had a story on Hollywood stars and their weekly(?) hockey game. In addition to the likes Michael J Fox, Cuba Gooding, the older brother from the Wonder years etc., there was also Jerry Bruckheimer. So he's definately a hockey fan.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville
Does anyone else the NHL should start running comericals at movie theaters? At least in NHL cities I bet Bruckheimer could produce a killer movie trailer for the NHL.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont
Any efforts to market the NHL will be wasted unless games regularly appear on network TV - either CBS, ABC, NBC, or FOX to guarantee a maximized number of homes can view them, and with enough games that people can be reasonably assured of turning on their TV on a certain night and seeing a hockey game. Frankly, it would require a weekly "Hockey Night in the USA". Then promote the young stars and show them in clips demonstrating their skills. Instead of constantly teaching people about hockey like FOX tried to do, instead use the tag line "the only way to learn the game is to watch it." Hell, I learned most of the rules of hockey as a new fan at the age of 21 just by playing a freakin' Super Nintendo hockey game.

Between increasing visibility and getting people familiar with the personalities in the game, you'd build up the fan base. Problem is, most people (especially network TV execs) won't even give hockey a chance, so they won't watch it (or broadcast it with any frequency). For some reason there's a negative stigma attached to the sport, and I blame sports broadcasters for that, because so many of the popular ones badmouth hockey while simultaneously admitting they don't understand the sport.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Any efforts to market the NHL will be wasted unless games regularly appear on network TV - either CBS, ABC, NBC, or FOX to guarantee a maximized number of homes can view them, and with enough games that people can be reasonably assured of turning on their TV on a certain night and seeing a hockey game. Frankly, it would require a weekly "Hockey Night in the USA". .

I can't for the love of life understand why they don't put games on Saturday nights on NBC, ABC, Fox or whatever. Can you honestly tell me that what they got on those nightly timeslots is better than what hockey could do.

Foy

Jun 6, 2006
I can't for the love of life understand why they don't put games on Saturday nights on NBC, ABC, Fox or whatever. Can you honestly tell me that what they got on those nightly timeslots is better than what hockey could do.

who would watch it?
Saturday night TV is when people put all their junk shows and made for TV movies on.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
who would watch it?
Saturday night TV is when people put all their junk shows and made for TV movies on.
And yet, it's still new/original programming that people watch. It's not old re-runs and informercials. Who cares if you attract dull people when you're attracting people?

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Clearly you guys haven't seen "Batman and Robin." ;)

batman3.jpg

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
At least Michael Bay hasn't been named. We don't need anyone blowing up on contact when we're trying to sell legitimacy in hockey.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
they had barry melrose and ej hradek on and they were talking about marketing the game and melrose said that jerry bruckheimer has offered to the league to help promote the young stars and generate a good marketing program for the league.. has anyone else heard about this and if the nhl will go ahead with this?

if they are talking about the same thing I saw last year the catch is the money involved

the stat I saw had it being alot

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Bruckheimer was a prospective owner for the Kings and Penguins, so he is definitaly a big time hockey fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->