Just saw classic Habs-Bruins 1950's series on NHL network

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
Amazing Habs team. Looking at the games, I tought a few players of the current NHL looked like some of the old habs...

M.St-Louis looks a lot like H.Richard
Brett Hull looks a lot like BB Geoffrion
Rick Nash looks a lot like like M.Richard
Vincent Lecavalier looks a lot like J.Beliveau, a lot !

Anyone else has ever notice that, especially Beliveau-Lecavalier ??

espo*

Amazing Habs team. Looking at the games, I tought a few players of the current NHL looked like some of the old habs...

M.St-Louis looks a lot like H.Richard
Brett Hull looks a lot like BB Geoffrion
Rick Nash looks a lot like like M.Richard
Vincent Lecavalier looks a lot like J.Beliveau, a lot !

Anyone else has ever notice that, especially Beliveau-Lecavalier ??

What did you think of Beliveau's game? (other then what you've already stated that he reminded you of Lecavalier)

LapierreSports

Mar 9, 2007
Montreal
What did you think of Beliveau's game? (other then what you've already stated that he reminded you of Lecavalier)

Just before I answer your question, I just want to say that it was a real treat to watch the 1957-58 Stanley Cup Finals. The Montreal Canadiens were the Stanley Cup champions, defeating the Boston Bruins four games to two. Maurice Richard scored the overtime goal for a 3-2 victory in the final game at the Forum. By the way, its the goal we used to see in the Hockey Night in Canada clip and song before the game starts on Saturday nights.

The Montreal roster had :

Jacques Plante won the Vezina
Doug Harvey won the Norris
Dickie Moore won the Art Ross
H.Richard was the 2nd overall leading scorer
The Rocket
Boom Boom
J.Beliveau : the tallest guy on the ice...looked really good and smooth on the ice, very smooth.. You could really see an ease when stickhandling and skating. Dominant....just like Lecavalier who is a carbon copy of Beliveau.

espo*

Just before I answer your question, I just want to say that it was a real treat to watch the 1957-58 Stanley Cup Finals. The Montreal Canadiens were the Stanley Cup champions, defeating the Boston Bruins four games to two. Maurice Richard scored the overtime goal for a 3-2 victory in the final game at the Forum. By the way, its the goal we used to see in the Hockey Night in Canada clip and song before the game starts on Saturday nights.

The Rocket
Boom Boom
J.Beliveau : the tallest guy on the ice...looked really good and smooth on the ice, very smooth.. You could really see an ease when stickhandling and skating. Dominant....just like Lecavalier who is a carbon copy of Beliveau.

Interesting,thanks for taking the time and giving some thoughts.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Hasn't Lecavalier modelled his game after Beliveau?

Lecavalier struggles with bringing the total package together, but he does have all the individual elements Beliveau had.

espo*

Hasn't Lecavalier modelled his game after Beliveau?

Lecavalier struggles with bringing the total package together, but he does have all the individual elements Beliveau had.

I'd agree that in the past he has,not this year though.He's been a dominant player this season.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
It's so nice to see somebodyon here watch a game from the past and actually respect it and the players in it for what they did, instead of using words like "primitive" and "slow".

Pwnasaurus

Feb 21, 2003
Robot City

The Rocket
Boom Boom

Did they show the entire games or just that old NHL nararrated standard highlight package from the playoffs/cup final?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
If you watch old clips of Beliveau he reminds you so much of Mario. Just the smoothness and the confidence with the puck. Like Mario you seldom saw Beliveau make a bad pass, you felt safe when he had the puck.

But Lecavalier has the #4 on his jersey and shoots the same way and is about the same build/height as Beliveau as well. I've really been impressed with Vinny this year, he's playing the way I expected him to play right off the start back in his draft day in '98. It took him a few years to bring it together but instead of glimpses of how good he is we can see it on a daily basis.

I laughed at the beginning of the year when John Tortorella predicted that he'd lead the league in goals. That's not funny anymore, since it'll happen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->