Just re-watching 2000 draft

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by PecaFan, Jun 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    Guess I'm just funny that way, find it terribly entertaining to watch old drafts in hindsight. Great stuff so far:

"A player that Danny Heatley is being compared to is Tim Kerr". Tim Kerr? Mr. 8 feet who only scored from the slot? I don't see *any* resemblance whatsoever.

Columbus just thanked Calgary (the hosting team) for supplying Brad Moran. The guy was a great scorer in junior, why hasn't Columbus given the guy a shot at the NHL level? He's been pretty darn good in the AHL for them, and they need scorers.

"It's taken some time to turn the corner, but you've got some good offensive players coming up in the system, the future must look pretty bright for Tampa Bay." Yup, I'd say so.

"Many scouts consider Nikita Alexeev the best player in this draft." :dunno:

Lanny McDonald unveils the Flames new uniform. "New look, new attitude, new direction." Yup, dead on Lanny.

Buffalo reaches for Artem Kryukov at #15, Hockey News has him at #60. Looks like HN was correct, still 0 games played.

"Montreal is proud to select Marian, er, Marcel Hossa". Heh, nice freudian slip there.

Barry Fraser makes his last pick for the Edmonton Oilers. Considering his draft history, it's amazing he lasted this long. His swan song? Alexei Mikhnov, with 0 GP so far. Looks like he probably scored another bust for his resume. :)

Brian Burke just selected Nathan Smith. Ugh. Hated the pick at the time, still do. :help: Hockey News ranking #40, picked #23. Hockey News > Brian Burke.

Wings go off the board to draft Niklas Kronwall at #29, Hockey News has him 47th. Once again, THN seems to have been more correct in their assessment, though Kronwall finally played some games in the league this year.

"There's gotta be some question marks about Roman Turek, when next year's playoffs roll around, people are still going to be asking 'Can he be the guy?'"

2. GKJ

GKJ Global Moderator

They since changed the uniform again for home games.

3. Ajacied

Ajacied Stay strong Appie! ❤

Actually, I think this was one of the few occasions an NHL GM was more correct in the assessment of a prospect than the Hockey News. Niklas Kronwall is a very solid prospect with legit top 4 potential. The reason why he hasn't played many games in the NHL is because the Wings are top notch contenders, prefering veterans over rookies. That, and their defense has been pretty stacked over the years (Lidstrom, Chelios, Fischer, Murphy, Duchesne and more recently Schneider and Hatcher). Kronwall was a steal at 29th..

This was a great draft however, especially for my Stars, one of the turnaround moments that really supplied our system with some quality prospects and depth (Ott, Ellis, Lundqvist, Miettinen and a few more who still have an interesting upside) plus the Stars got who I wanted them to pick (Steve Ott). It became the draft that featured 3 of our current top 5 prospects..

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  4. mazmin

mazmin Go! Jets! Go!

Personal Trainer / FM
    I don't think he's even close to being a bust. Lowe thinks very highly of him and would love to get him under contract and in North America for next season. We'll see how that goes. Either way, a player of Mikhnov's size usually takes longer to develop, so playing in the top Russian league for another season wouldn't hurt either.

5. Legionnaire

Legionnaire Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Home Page:
    Did you notice how thrilled Frolov looked to be drafted by the Kings :lol

6. Vyse64

Vyse64 N64

boxer by anime
    its been said on the oilers' board that Mikhnov will NOT be signed this year, maybe next year

7. AEKaki

AEKaki Registered User

University student
    Home Page:
    Although I really wanted the Pens to pick Frolov, I ain't disapointed with the Orpik selection.

8. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    I taped the 2001 draft, but deleted it because most of it is talk about that baseball player who passed away, so I didn't even see Marcel Goc get drafted.

9. TMHUNH

TMHUNH Registered User

Home Page:
    :dunno: :dunno:
    Hmmmm... The draft you are talking about when Darryl Kile passed away was 2002. So it wouldn't have interfered with Goc getting picked in 2001.

10. Postman

Postman Registered User

Hmm...

11. V for Voodoo

V for Voodoo Registered User

Self-Employed
    Home Page:
    Damn those tricky tapes! First a forward playing defense, now the mysterious Goc/Kile time warp.

12. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Registered User

Did any of you guys tape the 1999 draft?

It was so awesome when Daniel Sedin did a double dancing flip, and then his bro Henrik ripped some cleavage so we could see Daniel's pierced nipple! :lol

13. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    By no means was I saying this was an in-depth analysis I was doing. :) But with everyone else in the first round having either NHL or AHL experience, it looks a bit dicey for him, in my opinion. Even if his talent level is excellent, if he never desires to ever sign a contract or come over to North America to play, it ends up being a bust. It looks like he's just happy to play in Europe.

14. Jacob

Jacob Registered User

Home Page:
    I don't know if it was Kile, but I do know what Sharkie is talking about. They kept cutting in about something that had to do with baseball.

15. jstreim

jstreim Registered User

:joker: :lol :lol:

Love that quote.

16. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    I don’t know if it was that Kile thing but I do remember baseball getting in the way of me watchin the Sharks draft Marcel Goc. I never said it was Kile. Jeez louize. 2003 was the only draft in the past three years witch had no interuptions…well one hockeys greats passed away but they kept the draft going on ESPN 2 :) Some of you people have nothing better to do ( Voodoo) Then disect my posts and look for anything that could be a mistake. Go outside or something. It’s spring time :)

17. BAuldie

BAuldie Registered User

I don't think THN > Detroit statement is accurate for the choice of Niklas Kronwall. He is a very good prospect who had a bad injury this year. I think past history shows that Detroit >>>> THN with their drafting history.

18. thrashers=cup05

thrashers=cup05 Registered User

man that really was a good draft. It provided us with some good stuff. Such as Heatly and Pasi.

19. Ruckus007

Ruckus007 Said too much

It was the 2002 draft and I do remember a couple picks being missed for coverage. Colorado taking Johansson and San Jose taking Mike Morris so maybe Sharkie just got his first rounders mixed? :dunno:

20. X-SHARKIE

Home Page:
    I know I didnt' see Mike Morris get drafted, but I could've sworn I didn't see Marcel Goc get his name anounced. Oh well, no biggy.

21. KingPurpleDinosaur

KingPurpleDinosaur Bandwagon Kings Fan

Home Page:
    what did he look like when he was drafted? i never watched drafts until last year.

22. Captain Conservative

Captain Conservative Registered User

:blush: Its summer actually.

23. Legionnaire

Legionnaire Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Home Page:
    He absoultely no expression. I always thought he looked like he was thinking "Oh, great. Anywhere but LA." Which is strange because now he is always smiling. The only thing I can figure, is that he didn't speak a word of English, and didn't really know what was going on.

24. PecaFan

PecaFan Registered User

Home Page:
    You'd better blush, 'cause you need to check your calendar. Summer Solstice is June 21. :D

25. Amen evil king

Amen evil king Registered User

:lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.