Just re-watching 2000 draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Guess I'm just funny that way, find it terribly entertaining to watch old drafts in hindsight. Great stuff so far:

"A player that Danny Heatley is being compared to is Tim Kerr". Tim Kerr? Mr. 8 feet who only scored from the slot? I don't see *any* resemblance whatsoever.

Columbus just thanked Calgary (the hosting team) for supplying Brad Moran. The guy was a great scorer in junior, why hasn't Columbus given the guy a shot at the NHL level? He's been pretty darn good in the AHL for them, and they need scorers.

"It's taken some time to turn the corner, but you've got some good offensive players coming up in the system, the future must look pretty bright for Tampa Bay." Yup, I'd say so.

"Many scouts consider Nikita Alexeev the best player in this draft." :dunno:

Lanny McDonald unveils the Flames new uniform. "New look, new attitude, new direction." Yup, dead on Lanny.

Buffalo reaches for Artem Kryukov at #15, Hockey News has him at #60. Looks like HN was correct, still 0 games played.

"Montreal is proud to select Marian, er, Marcel Hossa". Heh, nice freudian slip there.

Barry Fraser makes his last pick for the Edmonton Oilers. Considering his draft history, it's amazing he lasted this long. His swan song? Alexei Mikhnov, with 0 GP so far. Looks like he probably scored another bust for his resume. :)

Brian Burke just selected Nathan Smith. Ugh. Hated the pick at the time, still do. :help: Hockey News ranking #40, picked #23. Hockey News > Brian Burke.

Wings go off the board to draft Niklas Kronwall at #29, Hockey News has him 47th. Once again, THN seems to have been more correct in their assessment, though Kronwall finally played some games in the league this year.

"There's gotta be some question marks about Roman Turek, when next year's playoffs roll around, people are still going to be asking 'Can he be the guy?'"

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
PecaFan said:
Lanny McDonald unveils the Flames new uniform. "New look, new attitude, new direction." Yup, dead on Lanny.

They since changed the uniform again for home games.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
PecaFan said:
Wings go off the board to draft Niklas Kronwall at #29, Hockey News has him 47th. Once again, THN seems to have been more correct in their assessment, though Kronwall finally played some games in the league this year."

Actually, I think this was one of the few occasions an NHL GM was more correct in the assessment of a prospect than the Hockey News. Niklas Kronwall is a very solid prospect with legit top 4 potential. The reason why he hasn't played many games in the NHL is because the Wings are top notch contenders, prefering veterans over rookies. That, and their defense has been pretty stacked over the years (Lidstrom, Chelios, Fischer, Murphy, Duchesne and more recently Schneider and Hatcher). Kronwall was a steal at 29th..

This was a great draft however, especially for my Stars, one of the turnaround moments that really supplied our system with some quality prospects and depth (Ott, Ellis, Lundqvist, Miettinen and a few more who still have an interesting upside) plus the Stars got who I wanted them to pick (Steve Ott). It became the draft that featured 3 of our current top 5 prospects..

Last edited:

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
PecaFan said:
Alexei Mikhnov, with 0 GP so far. Looks like he probably scored another bust for his resume.

I don't think he's even close to being a bust. Lowe thinks very highly of him and would love to get him under contract and in North America for next season. We'll see how that goes. Either way, a player of Mikhnov's size usually takes longer to develop, so playing in the top Russian league for another season wouldn't hurt either.

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
mazmin said:
I don't think he's even close to being a bust. Lowe thinks very highly of him and would love to get him under contract and in North America for next season. We'll see how that goes. Either way, a player of Mikhnov's size usually takes longer to develop, so playing in the top Russian league for another season wouldn't hurt either.

its been said on the oilers' board that Mikhnov will NOT be signed this year, maybe next year

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
X-SHARKIE said:
I taped the 2001 draft, but deleted it because most of it is talk about that baseball player who passed away, so I didn't even see Marcel Goc get drafted.

:dunno: :dunno:
Hmmmm... The draft you are talking about when Darryl Kile passed away was 2002. So it wouldn't have interfered with Goc getting picked in 2001.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
TMHUNH said:
Hmmmm... The draft you are talking about when Darryl Kile passed away was 2002. So it wouldn't have interfered with Goc getting picked in 2001.

Hmm...

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Did any of you guys tape the 1999 draft?

It was so awesome when Daniel Sedin did a double dancing flip, and then his bro Henrik ripped some cleavage so we could see Daniel's pierced nipple! :lol

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
mazmin said:

By no means was I saying this was an in-depth analysis I was doing. :) But with everyone else in the first round having either NHL or AHL experience, it looks a bit dicey for him, in my opinion. Even if his talent level is excellent, if he never desires to ever sign a contract or come over to North America to play, it ends up being a bust. It looks like he's just happy to play in Europe.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
TMHUNH said:
I don't know if it was Kile, but I do know what Sharkie is talking about. They kept cutting in about something that had to do with baseball.

X-SHARKIE

I don’t know if it was that Kile thing but I do remember baseball getting in the way of me watchin the Sharks draft Marcel Goc. I never said it was Kile. Jeez louize. 2003 was the only draft in the past three years witch had no interuptions…well one hockeys greats passed away but they kept the draft going on ESPN 2 :) Some of you people have nothing better to do ( Voodoo) Then disect my posts and look for anything that could be a mistake. Go outside or something. It’s spring time :)

BAuldie

Apr 5, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don't think THN > Detroit statement is accurate for the choice of Niklas Kronwall. He is a very good prospect who had a bad injury this year. I think past history shows that Detroit >>>> THN with their drafting history.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Jacobv2 said:
I don't know if it was Kile, but I do know what Sharkie is talking about. They kept cutting in about something that had to do with baseball.

It was the 2002 draft and I do remember a couple picks being missed for coverage. Colorado taking Johansson and San Jose taking Mike Morris so maybe Sharkie just got his first rounders mixed? :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

Ruckus007 said:
It was the 2002 draft and I do remember a couple picks being missed for coverage. Colorado taking Johansson and San Jose taking Mike Morris so maybe Sharkie just got his first rounders mixed? :dunno:

I know I didnt' see Mike Morris get drafted, but I could've sworn I didn't see Marcel Goc get his name anounced. Oh well, no biggy.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
X-SHARKIE said:
I don’t know if it was that Kile thing but I do remember baseball getting in the way of me watchin the Sharks draft Marcel Goc. I never said it was Kile. Jeez louize. 2003 was the only draft in the past three years witch had no interuptions…well one hockeys greats passed away but they kept the draft going on ESPN 2 :) Some of you people have nothing better to do ( Voodoo) Then disect my posts and look for anything that could be a mistake. Go outside or something. It’s spring time :)

:blush: Its summer actually.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
KingPurpleDinosaur said:
what did he look like when he was drafted? i never watched drafts until last year.

He absoultely no expression. I always thought he looked like he was thinking "Oh, great. Anywhere but LA." Which is strange because now he is always smiling. The only thing I can figure, is that he didn't speak a word of English, and didn't really know what was going on.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
Legionnaire said:
He absoultely no expression. I always thought he looked like he was thinking "Oh, great. Anywhere but LA." Which is strange because now he is always smiling. The only thing I can figure, is that he didn't speak a word of English, and didn't really know what was going on.

:lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad