Just how good is Matt Murray in the playoffs?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm a Flyers fan, not a NJ fan. There's nothing to let go. I'm not complaining I was just setting the record straight. The guy said teams passed on Jagr when that wasn't the case. Jagr wasn't going to defect if anyone else picked him and he set it up so he could play with Mario.
Meh it happens, remember, Lindros didn't want to play for Quebec and that whole thing happened too.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
I think people are really underrating the ability to make a stop at the right time. Murray does this all the time. You need to get a big save? Murray will get you one again and again. Thats the absolut best part about him and the thing that makes him so good in the playoffs

Reactions: td_ice

BigEezyE22

Continuing to not support HF.
Feb 2, 2007
Jersey
I guess the point I'm trying to make is Murray hasn't had the chance to be a difference maker in this series. He's been excellent but he's also playing against Brian Elliott. Replace murray with any other top ten goalie in the league (maf,Jones, helly,rinne,rask etc)and they're still up 3-1.

Agree?

Rinne ain't playing like a top 10 goalie in the playoffs.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

NJGoalie

May 4, 2010
Kashyyyk
Meh it happens, remember, Lindros didn't want to play for Quebec and that whole thing happened too.

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove to me. I was just clearing up an inaccuracy in someone else's post. I don't care what happened to anyone else, fact is that teams didn't "pass" on Jagr. I'm not saying the Pens don't deserve the cups they have, literally just that the explanation that teams passed on Jagr is BS. Full stop.

Reactions: Shut Up Flanders

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Both were actually true. Jags even himself said few times that he may have dropped those types of hints to other 4 GMs that were drafting before Pens did. While he didnt flat out say dont draft me, wont play for you, he was steering GMs that way at least a little bit. But you are right, there was also whole issue of GMs not being sure what would happen with Czechoslovakia (Czech Republic wasnt formed till 1993)

I’m assuming Jagr said it. I feel like some of those Jagr quotes may have been revisionist on his own part. It’s similar to him saying playing for the Pens for the league minimum because he owes Mario. Not bitter but sometimes players like to ham it up.

If anybody has a quote from him before being drafted by the Pens then i’ll believe it.

Honestly I don’t think Jagr really had an understanding nor reverence of the NHL at age 17 in communist Czech. He probably just knew he could make a lot of money here and that it was touted as the best league in the world :).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
He can goal for my team in the playoffs anyday.

But please, don't bring Roy into this just yet.

Talon70

May 23, 2012
Honolulu, HI
How would Murray do without goal support? The guy is not an elite goalie, he’s the beneficiary of a great offense. Gave up 5 today and people are still piling on the praise, hilarious.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How would Murray do without goal support? The guy is not an elite goalie, he’s the beneficiary of a great offense. Gave up 5 today and people are still piling on the praise, hilarious.

Murray's career playoff stats:
1.99 GAA
.926 save percentage

What do either of those numbers have to do with goal support? His *win* total might be affected by the team he plays for, but his career goals against average and save percentage have literally zero to do with how much the Pens score when he's in net.

Reactions: Flamesss

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
He's started 38 playoff games, and has a GAA of 1.99, sv% of 92.6%, won 26 games with 11 losses and 6 shutouts.

He sucks.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
At this point, I'm convinced some people don't even know what "beneficiary of a great offense" implies.

It's for goalies with otherwise MEDIOCRE individual stats, but who get a lot of wins because they play behind a really, really good team.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
He certainly doesn't suck,but he most certainly is a product of his team.

Is Tuukka Rask a product of a team that plays a strong defensive style? How about Rinne, is he a product of having the best top four in hockey? Was Martin Brodeur a product of an elite defensive team?

I mean, at what point does a goalie actually get credit for his part in why said team is successful?

(And no, I'm not necessarily comparing Murray to those guys. Just examples of guys who play on "dominant teams", yet don't get dismissed as a product of those teams)

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How much better would his numbers have to be for you to give him credit as a major reason they've won back to back cups?
He is a major reason why they won b2b cups. He gave them steady goaltending in the playoffs,something Pittsburgh hasnt had for a long time.

But just like Justin Williams was a major reason why la won in 2014, it didnt make him a top ten player in the league.

When is the last time quick,rinne, lundqvist,price,or any other real elite goalie let in 5 goals in an elimination game and still got the win?

Rygu

Dec 24, 2017
B.C.
He is a major reason why they won b2b cups. He gave them steady goaltending in the playoffs,something Pittsburgh hasnt had for a long time.

But just like Justin Williams was a major reason why la won in 2014, it didnt make him a top ten player in the league.

When is the last time quick,rinne, lundqvist,price,or any other real elite goalie let in 5 goals in an elimination game and still got the win?

Not sure, but he did get a shutout in game 6 and 7 in last years finals. That's pretty clutch.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

The one game where we had to actually outscore the other team. Checkout his other games the past two years. 2 shutouts to close out the finals last year(game 6 was scoreless until pens finally scored). Let up 1 goal the previous year in the cup winning game..2-1(3-1 after EN). Let up 1 goal in game 7 against Tampa in the ECF..2-1 final. List goes on. Those were the most important ones

Yes, hilarious.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Is Tuukka Rask a product of a team that plays a strong defensive style? How about Rinne, is he a product of having the best top four in hockey? Was Martin Brodeur a product of an elite defensive team?

I mean, at what point does a goalie actually get credit for his part in why said team is successful?

(And no, I'm not necessarily comparing Murray to those guys. Just examples of guys who play on "dominant teams", yet don't get dismissed as a product of those teams)
When i see the margin of error reduced, I'll be more willing to give credit.

This thread was poorly timed, and this afternoons game proved that. Murrays game behind any other team would have resulted in a L. Neuvirth let in 7 and outplayed him ffs.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
When i see the margin of error reduced, I'll be more willing to give credit.

Did you miss the past two playoffs? The Pens were winning a lot of 1 and 2 goal games. Just because this series versus the Flyers had no real close games doesn't mean you should ignore the past two playoff runs.

This thread was poorly timed, and this afternoons game proved that. Murrays game behind any other team would have resulted in a L. Neuvirth let in 7 and outplayed him ffs.

Neuvirth outplayed him? I doubt Flyers fans share that sentiment.

And now we're basing Murray on his one bad game when they won? Did you miss the three Penguins wins where he got 2 shutouts and allowed only 1 goal in the other one?

I mean, the fact you think today's effort is "proof" of anything while Murray's other 35+ odd games in the playoffs can be dismissed shows how rational you're being in this discussion.

Talon70

May 23, 2012
Honolulu, HI
The one game where we had to actually outscore the other team. Checkout his other games the past two years. 2 shutouts to close out the finals last year(game 6 was scoreless until pens finally scored). Let up 1 goal the previous year in the cup winning game..2-1(3-1 after EN). Let up 1 goal in game 7 against Tampa in the ECF..2-1 final. List goes on. Those were the most important ones

Yes, hilarious.

It is hilarious. The guy gave up five today and still gets the win. There is no pressure on him at all because of Pittsburgh’s offense. He doesn’t have to win games by himself. Goal support does matter in wins and losses. Quick on the other hand, gives up a single goal and is the losing goalie.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It is hilarious. The guy gave up five today and still gets the win. There is no pressure on him at all because of Pittsburgh’s offense. He doesn’t have to win games by himself. Goal support does matter in wins and losses. Quick on the other hand, gives up a single goal and is the losing goalie.

One game. You just ignored the examples I gave you where he didnt have all of that goal support. In the most important games of the playoffs.

Last year we hear..." Pens arent that great..your goalie is bailing your team out". Now when there is a thread about the goalie.." he sucks..team is great".

If I wanted to pump someones tires on here..all Id have to do is create a thread saying the opposite of what I want people to agree with...and it would work every time . Lol.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yup. Here we are patting mm on the back for winning games
8-5,
5-0 (such shutout)
5-1,
7-0 (such shutout)
and going back to last season
2-0 (which i admit was a clutch game)
6-0 (such shutout)
4-1
5-3
3-2
7-0 (such shutout)

Meanwhile quick puts on an absolute clinic and doesnt win a game.

But Murray is the reason why the pens score 5+goals a game. He just makes them so damn confident.

52 goals for in his last 10 playoff wins. Money goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->