Caggiula 3
Maroon 3
Bear 2
Sekera 2
Puljujarvi 2
Benning 2
Russell 2
Jokinen, Yamamoto, Aberg, Kassian, Cammaleri and Khaira 1

We have all of ONE ****ing player with 10 PP points or more (McDavid 18pp points). Most teams have at least 5 guys in double digits, Calgary, NYI, Vancouver and Minnesota have 7, Nashville, Las Vegas and Tampa have 8, Winnipeg leads the league with 9 players in double digit PP points. Columbus and Ottawa are tied for second fewest with 4.

Yohann Auvitu by my eye has been one of our best offensive defensemen this season yet he has gotten all of 10 minutes and 20 seconds on the PP this season in 31 games. We have 14 ****ing PP points from defensemen this season and Bear has 2 of them in the 14 games that he's played. Beyond getting a new coaching staff we need to get some producers on the blueline for our PP.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
yeah it is pathetically awful and even if you don't think coaching should change, you have to admit that it is a huge black mark.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Is there some stat that measures points with the number of power play opportunities we’ve had? Would be interesting to see that compared to the rest of the league as I’m pretty sure we’re also dead last in that department for some inexplicable reason.

Doc Scurlock

Nov 23, 2006
It is so bad that the Oilers should just say no thanks when they get one. It just frustrates me to no end to see the pass-pass-pass all around the perimeter constantly making it so easy to defend. Like there is no threat whatsoever cause no one shoots the puck. You watch every other team and they get shots on net, why? Because rebounds create chaos and that is how you score in the current NHL. This nonsense we have watched all season is just utter garbage and I hope heads will roll this offseason. Same thing every game.

Oh, and if you put Lucic out on a powerplay, then have him tethered to the oppositions net. The only places he should be allowed to go is in front and in back of the net. In no way whatsoever should he be handling the puck this season cause every play seems to die on his stick. And I like the guy but man something went horribly wrong after Christmas.

Reactions: PulYou

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
This is our list of PP point getters:

McDavid 18
Draisaitl 9
RNH 8
Lucic 7
Letestu 6
Klefbom 6
Strome 6
Caggiula 3
Maroon 3
Bear 2
Sekera 2
Puljujarvi 2
Benning 2
Russell 2
Jokinen, Yamamoto, Aberg, Kassian, Cammaleri and Khaira 1

We have all of ONE ****ing player with 10 PP points or more (McDavid 18pp points). Most teams have at least 5 guys in double digits, Calgary, NYI, Vancouver and Minnesota have 7, Nashville, Las Vegas and Tampa have 8, Winnipeg leads the league with 9 players in double digit PP points. Columbus and Ottawa are tied for second fewest with 4.

Yohann Auvitu by my eye has been one of our best offensive defensemen this season yet he has gotten all of 10 minutes and 20 seconds on the PP this season in 31 games. We have 14 ****ing PP points from defensemen this season and Bear has 2 of them in the 14 games that he's played. Beyond getting a new coaching staff we need to get some producers on the blueline for our PP.
Can we just take some time to appropriately bash these two worthless wastes of space? These two have seen more power play time than any forward on the team not named McDavid and Draisaitl, but can't get anything done. Plays die on their stick and neither can control a pass to save their lives. I can't count how many power play goals these two have costed us just by being on the ice and missing easy shots/flubbing simple passes that result in us losing control of the puck or not being able to set-up the formation to begin with. The worst part is that there's one of each of them on each power play unit, meaning there's always one of these two losers going around making things harder for every other player. Lost in Letestu being over-deployed on the power play and flubbing every shot attempt was the fact that two of the biggest mistakes in recent Oilers history are prominent features on our power play.

Chiarelli should be fired for signing/trading for these two "hockey players" and Woodcroft for creating this abomination of a power play that constantly uses these two losers and Letestu. McLellan can go too.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It is so bad that the Oilers should just say no thanks when they get one. It just frustrates me to no end to see the pass-pass-pass all around the perimeter constantly making it so easy to defend. Like there is no threat whatsoever cause no one shoots the puck. You watch every other team and they get shots on net, why? Because rebounds create chaos and that is how you score in the current NHL. This nonsense we have watched all season is just utter garbage and I hope heads will roll this offseason. Same thing every game.

Oh, and if you put Lucic out on a powerplay, then have him tethered to the oppositions net. The only places he should be allowed to go is in front and in back of the net. In no way whatsoever should he be handling the puck this season cause every play seems to die on his stick. And I like the guy but man something went horribly wrong after Christmas.

Exactly, it's common ****ing sense to have him in that exact role. Carrying the puck in, handling it on the sidewall etc. is ridiculous.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Exactly, it's common ****ing sense to have him in that exact role. Carrying the puck in, handling it on the sidewall etc. is ridiculous.
Slightly off topic but I still can’t believe that not only did Mclellan put Lucic on the ice as the extra attacker the other night but that he and Russell were carrying the puck on zone entries. Probably the two worst puck handlers on the team. Not a power play but still an extra man situation and these were the two with the puck. I don’t know how anybody actually watching these games and seeing what happens doesn’t come to the conclusion that coaching is the biggest problem on this team. It’s so bad that a change may actually improve other issues.

My big issue the other night was why there wasn’t anybody with good board play out there. Everybody is a goal scorer (supposedly) but nobody with the skill to win a puck battle to keep possession.

Reactions: Aerrol

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Slightly off topic but I still can’t believe that not only did Mclellan put Lucic on the ice as the extra attacker the other night but that he and Russell were carrying the puck on zone entries. Probably the two worst puck handlers on the team. Not a power play but still an extra man situation and these were the two with the puck. I don’t know how anybody actually watching these games and seeing what happens doesn’t come to the conclusion that coaching is the biggest problem on this team. It’s so bad that a change may actually improve other issues.

My big issue the other night was why there wasn’t anybody with good board play out there. Everybody is a goal scorer (supposedly) but nobody with the skill to win a puck battle to keep possession.
McLellan is unbelievably stubborn and refuses to adapt. Doesn't help that he's all ears for the worst special teams schemer in the NHL Jay Woodcroft.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Just so much perimeter shooting from players that can't shoot and so little movement in terms of our lanes and where the shooters situate themselves, if we get the miracle cross ice pass that we are always angling for, the goalie knows how hard to push off without even doing a quick head turn to double check cause he knows exactly where the shooter is. Our best asset out there is McDavid and he's so stationary on the half wall, that it's taking away much of the strength of his game. I'd rather have the players coach the powerplay than Woodcroft, I'm sure Cammalleri would do a better job then him, probably also true for RNH, McDavid, Draisaitl, and Sekera; even if it wasn't a better powerplay immediately if they were just given agency in how it is run, I'm sure the group would of figured out something better by now, instead of the status quo of repetitive failure.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Has Ethan Bear played a shift on the PP with McDavid since scoring against Anaheim last week?

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
I think one thing we need next year is a point shot. Bear looks good but is a few years away.

Hynh

Jun 19, 2012
The Oilers are now no longer alone in last in PPOs thanks to the refs finally calling shit. I guess the league figured that it would be too obvious if they finished below 200

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
While Woodcroft being braindead is something we already know, and his choice of players such as Letestu, Lucic, and Strome is baffling, sometimes it's the little things that tell you just how out of touch our coaching staff is when it comes to special teams. When Lucic got sent to the penalty box for punching out Mike Smith, McLellan's favourite weapon was no longer available on the top power play. So what does he do?

He sends out Jesse Puljujarvi to go screen the goalie. The player with the best shot on our team is not only not a power play feature, he was freaking put on as a replacement to screen the goalie, in the one position that he can't possibly utilize his shot. Are you freaking kidding me?

HenrikW

Feb 21, 2018
Honestly I just think our PP is overcoached. Pretty sure if you told Draisaitl and McDavid "just go out there and get pucks on net" I am pretty sure they would be able to use their creativity and come up with more rewarding plays then following shit systems that has everyone passing for 1 minute

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->