Just curious who has seen a Penguins home game

Have Ever Been to A Penguins Home Game?

• Total voters

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Been to both. When I was a kid we would go to a game as a family at the Igloo and i'd be in awe of Lemieux. SCF experiences are beyond anything i've ever witnessed before. They have a level of energy that is not explainable. And I was there on Sid's hat trick on hat night.

Also played in both the Igloo/Consol. Mellon's ice was way better but it was a terribly disgusting place. :laugh:

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Still something that is on my to do list before I die!!!
See them every game in Montreal, and I've seen them in Ottawa and Toronto
If Quebec gets a team will definitely go there as well

I would not only go to Pittsburgh, but a road trip to Tampa/Florida is also something I would love to do
Wife mentioned going back to Vegas, so I will plan that one :)

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Been to both. When I was a kid we would go to a game as a family at the Igloo and i'd be in awe of Lemieux. SCF experiences are beyond anything i've ever witnessed before. They have a level of energy that is not explainable. And I was there on Sid's hat trick on hat night.

Also played in both the Igloo/Consol. Mellon's ice was way better but it was a terribly disgusting place. :laugh:

Real question is if you played at the War Memorial because that is the grossest rink.

I remember going to a tournament there after 9/11 and at the rink they had Bin Laden posters up with gun sights on him saying WANTED.

Also, bought my first Synergy stick there with like a year worth of savings from my paper route. Didn’t help my shot.. maybe it was the Lidstrom blade..

Reactions: MalkinsPierogi

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Still something that is on my to do list before I die!!!
See them every game in Montreal, and I've seen them in Ottawa and Toronto
If Quebec gets a team will definitely go there as well

I would not only go to Pittsburgh, but a road trip to Tampa/Florida is also something I would love to do
Wife mentioned going back to Vegas, so I will plan that one :)
Scratched it off my bucket list when I went to the Montreal game in Pittsburgh. I been in front of the Igloo but never been inside.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Real question is if you played at the War Memorial because that is the grossest rink.

I remember going to a tournament there after 9/11 and at the rink they had Bin Laden posters up with gun sights on him saying WANTED.

Also, bought my first Synergy stick there with like a year worth of savings from my paper route. Didn’t help my shot.. maybe it was the Lidstrom blade..

When I was in high school i played my first year of Juniors in the awful Empire League - Johnstown Chiefs. :laugh: So yes... i've spent way too much time in the War. Talk about 10-15 hour bus rides that i wish to never ever ever ever ever take again. Imagine driving 90+ minutes just to get to Johnstown just to hop on a bus and drive 10 more to some snowy city.

The Lidstrom heel curve! :laugh: Holy I remember that. That had to be the worst curve of all time. But you could saucer pass a puck like a beast with that heel cup.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Never been. :/

One day maybe, would be tough explaining to the wife why we are going to Pittsburgh instead of New York though if going across the pond... (she knows nothing of hockey)

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
~120 games at the Igloo; 6 or 7 at the paint can.

No playoff games at either, though. That's what I get for the extreme majority of the games I've been to coming in that 2001-06 window.

First game: November 28, 1995 Penguins 7 Senators 2...Naslund hat trick; Jags & Mario each had 3 point nights.

My first experience at the Igloo was Aladdin on Ice :laugh:
That does mean I got to see the roof 'open', at least.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Only seen the Pens once in Vancouver. We were down by 2 with less than 90 seconds to go. My friends (Canucks fans) ask sarcastically why I’m so quiet. I replied that we can still tie this. Sure enough we did and won in a shootout. :laugh:

I’ll make it to Pittsburgh one day.

*Watching live Malkin had one of the hardest slapshots I’ve seen at a game

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
~120 games at the Igloo; 6 or 7 at the paint can.

No playoff games at either, though. That's what I get for the extreme majority of the games I've been to coming in that 2001-06 window.

First game: November 28, 1995 Penguins 7 Senators 2...Naslund hat trick; Jags & Mario each had 3 point nights.

My first experience at the Igloo was Aladdin on Ice :laugh:
That does mean I got to see the roof 'open', at least.

Wow.. I can honestly say i've never seen the roof open outside of pictures. That is a cool experience. They always claimed it was too expensive.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Haven’t been to either. Want to though. Debated flying in for tonight’s game. It’s a long trip from Western Canada :(

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Been to the paint tin. Too new a fan to go near the Igloo. My first game was... Pens vs Caps, March 2014. Feels a long time ago now. I have still yet to see the Pens lose to the Caps in person despite watching the fixture three times.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wow.. I can honestly say i've never seen the roof open outside of pictures. That is a cool experience. They always claimed it was too expensive.

Definitely a cool memory. My memory of walking down the concourse with downtown just there is significantly stronger than any aspect of the show that I saw. Very cool.

I would say it was mostly wasted on a ~6 year-old...but downtown Pittsburgh became the most awe-inspiring place imaginable for me at the time, in large part because of that. No better way to make a 6 year-old feel small like looking up at USX Tower from the top concourse of the Igloo.

Old Gregg

I'm Old Gregg!!
Apr 13, 2010
I've made 3 trips from the London, Ontario area, with my wife, to watch the Penguins. It's about a 6-7hr drive.

First game was in March 2012 against Boston. It was the game right before Crosby came back the second time from the concussion issue he was having. But watching Malkin light it up was amazing.

Second trip was in March 2015 and we watched a back to back where they played the Bruins and Red Wings. Crosby missed the first game with an illness which sucked but played the 2nd game. The team lost both games.

Third trip was in April 2016 we went to the final home game of the regular season. They crushed Philly 6-2 i think. I saw Rutherford after the game and told him I loved the trades he had made and felt this team had what it took to win it all....turns out they did.

I hope to make it down next season but will have to wait and see. Tickets + hotel etc adds up. Would love to go to a playoff game.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Only the Igloo ironically....I left the Burgh with rare appearances in 1995....only come back once in a blue moon to the visit the parents there, and not during hockey season....

Edit...but I have seen them many times elsewhere especially in San Jose, LA, Anaheim....

Penguin Suited Up

Dec 26, 2017
I’ve been to both. My first game was some time in the early 90’s when I was a kid and I was more concerned with getting a cotton candy than anything else. But I’ve been to many since. I don’t spend money on much, but I’m pretty passionate about hockey and the Pens, so it’s all worth it.

I went to 1 playoff game of each playoff series with my dad in 08 and 09 except for the Finals, and never thought I’d get the chance to go to a Cup Finals game until game 2 last year. I bought tix to go with my dad, and paid more than I thought was reasonable, but you can’t ever be certain you’ll have another opportunity to see this level of success again, and I got to pay my dad back for all the games he’s taken me to. Drove 4 hours to Pittsburgh, saw one of the most intense games I’ve ever been to, then drove 4 hours back to go to work the next morning. Absolutely worth it.

My new goal is to see the Pens play in every team’s NHL arena, so I’ve started an annual tradition with friends and family to spend a long weekend in a different city during a Pens game each year. We did Vegas this year and will probably hit Nashville next year depending on the schedule.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
I had season tickets, but I had to give them up this year. Just so expensive anymore. I miss terribly going to see them in person, but life has other ideas sometimes.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
I saw my first game at the Civic Arena in the late 1970's, and have been to the paint bucket about five times. I saw the pens play Vancouver in November. I've seen the pens play in Los Angeles before, and was at the Pens vs Ducks game in Anaheim this past season.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

William I NEGLE

Mar 30, 2018
About 40-50 games at the Paint Can, several dozen at the Igloo. Getting into and out of town and PPG (from where I live) is just so much easier than it was for the Civic Arena.

My plan for tonight was for the wife and I to get Pens geared up, head to the Marriott, drink some beer and try to score cheap seats from Stubhub at 6:50 or so. But now she has to work until 5, so my master plan may have just been flushed down the commode.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
seen the roof open, but it wasn't at a hockey game.......since we are talking about the past.....does anyone (or dad's or granddad's) ever remember playing with or against pat McDermit, dicky and dony Rizzo, jim smith, jack Siegfried, bill wales, rick vernon? these are some guys I played with/against and i'm feeling old.
edit; even if you don't....lie to me. :)

Reactions: Rudy Russo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->