Jussi Jokinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'm wondering if theirs any good reason why nobody mentions this kid on the board. He's looked pretty solid in the WJC for the last two years has good/great speed and put up good numbers in the finish league, but nobodies ever mention's him.

Jussi Jokinen Center
Born Apr 1 1983
Height 5.11 -- Weight 185 -- Shoots L
Selected by Dallas Stars round 6 #192 overall 2001 NHL Entry Draft

Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM
2001-02 Karpat FNL 54 10 6 16 34
2002-03 Karpat FNL 51 14 23 37 10

For my money he'd rate somewhere in the middle of the pack if I was to make a top 100 prospects list.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
It seems that nearly every Dallas Stars prospects that has not been drafted in the first round, is somehow overlooked. Miettinen, Jokinen, Hagos, Lundqvist, etc.. hence, Niko Kapanen was a big ? before he made the NHL.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Modano = God said:
It seems that nearly every Dallas Stars prospects that has not been drafted in the first round, is somehow overlooked. Miettinen, Jokinen, Hagos, Lundqvist, etc.. hence, Niko Kapanen was a big ? before he made the NHL.

Yeah, the Stars prospects do have a tendency to have that happen. They garner very little respect, up until the point where they break into the NHL.

A few other teams also have this happens. The Hurricanes come to mind quickly as well.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Jussi Jokinen looks to be an excellent find for the Stars. Once again the finnish scout has struck gold in the late rounds(Miettinen, Lehtinen, and Kapanen come to mind). This guy could have the upside of of a second line winger, and you'll probably see him in NA in one to two years, depending on the CBA.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Frolov 6'3 said:
Are you sure nobody has mentioned him on the board ?
I can't imagine it.

Not that I recall and nobody seems to mention him as a top prospect. Someone was gathering lists of people's list of top 50 prospects and I doubt that he was on any of them judging by the press he gets on this board although I could be wrong. I was just trying to figure out if he's slipped under the radar or if most people know something about him that I don't.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
I think that he was a sixth round pick, that he plays overseas, and the lack of a huge Stars fanbase on the boards have a lot to do with it. Personally, he's been my favorite prospect overall for a while. Some of the things I saw him do at the prospect camp this summer (like control the puck with his feet from blue line to blue line) were pretty amazing. He'll be playing some games for the Finnish National Team in int'l competitions this year, hopefully at the WCs.

He's among the better of the Stars' prospects when discussing potential. Right in the group with Polak, Lundqvist, and Eriksson.

West

Mar 7, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
GLUhipfan said:
I think that he was a sixth round pick, that he plays overseas, and the lack of a huge Stars fanbase on the boards have a lot to do with it. Personally, he's been my favorite prospect overall for a while. Some of the things I saw him do at the prospect camp this summer (like control the puck with his feet from blue line to blue line) were pretty amazing. He'll be playing some games for the Finnish National Team in int'l competitions this year, hopefully at the WCs.

He's among the better of the Stars' prospects when discussing potential. Right in the group with Polak, Lundqvist, and Eriksson.

Thanks

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
West said:
Not that I recall and nobody seems to mention him as a top prospect. Someone was gathering lists of people's list of top 50 prospects and I doubt that he was on any of them judging by the press he gets on this board although I could be wrong. I was just trying to figure out if he's slipped under the radar or if most people know something about him that I don't.

It was a brain teaser West.
The answer did come 7 minutes later after my post. ;)

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it has anything to do with him being Stars property. Just more that he's a mid to late round pick, plays overseas, and thus there's limited exposure.

The same deal happens even with Montreal's (largest fan base on these boards) euro prospects that were drafted mid to late round. Eneqvist is a good example of this.

HOCKEY_GURU

Jun 27, 2002
Visit site
funny u say no one talks about him..because ive had my eye on him for sometime and asked about him earlier in the day in the finnish message boards...so u may wanna loook there ;)

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Kryoptix said:
a future koivu ? :dunno:

I really dont think so.

Koivu was exceptional in Finland. He was an absolutely dominant force in the same age Jokinen is now. Of course they are different kind of players and Jokinen might still become a very good NHL player...but his skill level is nowhere near Koivu. (and I am talking about Saku, not Mikko)

Koivu's problem has always been his size. He is probably the best player in the world on big ice, but NHL size rink does not fit his style quite that well. I am not trying to suggest he is doing bad in the NHL, just saying there is potential for more.

Jokinen has had a decent start this year, he will play in the NHL some day. I hope he develops fast, would be cool to see Koivu-Koivu-Jokinen-Jokinen as team Finlands centers.

"Here comes the Koivu line.." "Which one?"

I guess it's just a silly dream, Ruutu is a center and way ahead of Mikko Koivu and Jussi Jokinen at the moment. Also Jesse Niinimäki might add to that competition.

Taze

Jan 27, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Jozeph_Balej said:
Well from what i've seen at the WJC Jokinen style is like Koivu , in the better of the world i think he could turn into a star like Koivu but he has a lot of work in front of him .

Jokinen is more of a goalscorer and Koivu more of a playmaker, that's the biggest difference between the two. I'm sure Jokinen will play in NHL in future, and I also believe he has potential to be a second line scoring winger in a good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->