Helene St. James Jurco Thinks He's Small?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Jurco said:
I don’t think I am a big guy that is going to go out there and be physical like Abby. I am different player. I have been always more skilled guy.

From a St. James article today about Jurco lamenting how he can't get and stay in the lineup, and this stuck out to me. I get what he's saying, essentially that he's not a banger...but, dude, you're 6'2'' and your best stint on the Wings was when you first came up and was a nasty, physical player who went hard to the net.

Jurco needs to be talking about keeping his feet moving and going hard to the dirty areas of the ice where his size is a bigger asset.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
It makes sense in context. Immediately before that he talks about how even when he's played physical, even when Blashill's told him he played well, he gets yanked from the lineup. If that's the case, scoring would seem like the only way to stay in the lineup to me too.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
From a St. James article today about Jurco lamenting how he can't get and stay in the lineup, and this stuck out to me. I get what he's saying, essentially that he's not a banger...but, dude, you're 6'2'' and your best stint on the Wings was when you first came up and was a nasty, physical player who went hard to the net.

Jurco needs to be talking about keeping his feet moving and going hard to the dirty areas of the ice where his size is a bigger asset.
I don't recall him being particularly physical his first season. And I thought his last game back was pretty damn good. Was surprised to see him scratched immediately after.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

So true. Those first games Jurco looked promising. He finished his checks with a purpose, not the pretend flyby's of Glendening and Miller. There's a big difference. Jurco had a mean side to his game. May be his back is the factor but that effectiveness is long gone.

When Jurco skates he's not pumping his legs 100%, looks more like 75 or so. Sheary for example is successful because like the majority of Penguins they skate at full speed. I can't understand how a struggling guy can jump over the boards for a 45 second shift and not go completely berserk with energy. He really overrates his skill.

Compared with Sheahan or Emmerton and Andersson before, forwards like this just don't have the grit, violence, competitiveness to be difference makers in the NHL. They're better suited for a European league.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Like I said in another thread, it's clear he has no future here and his value is at an all-time low. I doubt he'd return a worthy pick at this point.

I would not be opposed to KH trading him and Smith for a rental like what we saw with Jarnmark and Jarnkrok a few seasons ago. Bascally they all have something in common, none had/have any value what-so-ever and none of them had/have a future here.

May as well see if you can't make a deadline trade to possibly help keep the playoff streak alive.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think he's saying: I'm not a physical North American style player just because I'm 6'2. I'm not a power forward. I'm a finesse scorer who happens to be physically large.

Which... is probably not going to work for him in the NHL.

Which is the problem. Guy is blessed with good size and hands, he shouldn't use them both. He needs to use them both. When he does, he's an effective hockey player.

So true. Those first games Jurco looked promising. He finished his checks with a purpose, not the pretend flyby's of Glendening and Miller. There's a big difference. Jurco had a mean side to his game. May be his back is the factor but that effectiveness is long gone.

When Jurco skates he's not pumping his legs 100%, looks more like 75 or so. Sheary for example is successful because like the majority of Penguins they skate at full speed. I can't understand how a struggling guy can jump over the boards for a 45 second shift and not go completely berserk with energy. He really overrates his skill.

Compared with Sheahan or Emmerton and Andersson before, forwards like this just don't have the grit, violence, competitiveness to be difference makers in the NHL. They're better suited for a European league.

Pretty much. And part of what's really hurt us is that we've had Sheahan and Jurco come up, big guys, but they don't play big. We have enough 5'11'' guys who play to their size, we don't also need our 6'2'' guys playing like they are 5'11''.

I'm not even saying they have to go out and hit everything that moves, but take the body and go hard to the net. Yeah, I know Jurco was supposed to have some back issues, but I thought he had surgery over the summer that was supposed to fix that?

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Sucks at one point Jurco was so promising :( He was one of those key busts in the decline.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
I think he's saying: I'm not a physical North American style player just because I'm 6'2. I'm not a power forward. I'm a finesse scorer who happens to be physically large.

But he has some sick Youtube videos of him doing dryland stuff.

Unfortunate for Jurco. I think he could be a fine third liner that can provide some depth scoring, won't happen here though.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Same happened with Ville Leino. "I'm this and that, and don't force me to different role..."

Hey guys, you do what the coaches say, because it benefits yourself as a player. Don't you kid ever try to be smarter than experienced coahes, you idiots.

Roles are made for you. They develop you as a player. When guys like Leino or Jurco are forced to play net-front role, it gives you an opposite perspective, how a screener has to act with a shooting player. Then you understand better the screener, when you are back at yor own role as a shooter.

But if you refuse to to do a "****job", because you selfisly feel that you deserve a "better job", get out of the Hockeytown. That's not the Red Wings way, you whiners. We go with team players and individuals can go elsewhere.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Same happened with Ville Leino. "I'm this and that, and don't force me to different role..."

Hey guys, you do what the coaches say, because it benefits yourself as a player. Don't you kid ever try to be smarter than experienced coahes, you idiots.

Roles are made for you. They develop you as a player. When guys like Leino or Jurco are forced to play net-front role, it gives you an opposite perspective, how a screener has to act with a shooting player. Then you understand better the screener, when you are back at yor own role as a shooter.

But if you refuse to to do a "****job", because you selfisly feel that you deserve a "better job", get out of the Hockeytown. That's not the Red Wings way, you whiners. We go with team players and individuals can go elsewhere.

He did do what he was asked and it still got him benched. Seems like a classic case of a guy in need of change of scenery.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com

Don't fall into the trap of seeing smaller players appear to be skating harder just because they need to pump their legs twice as much as bigger guys with longer strides. Large players have been viewed as lazy and not giving full effort forever for this reason. Heck even Primeau back in the day was criticized for not giving full effort because bignguys don't churn their legs as fast as tiny dudes like 5'8" Conor Sheary. Jurco has plenty of issues but let's not be silly and say he's not skating hard just because his legs art chirningnlikensome midget with kids meal size strides is.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's also worth noting that Jurco is listed as 6'2" and 188 lbs.

Yes he's somewhat tall but unless you're Wayne Simmonds you're not really a power forward at that weight.

Abdelkader, by comparison is also listed as 6'2" but has 30 lbs on Jurco.

I also liked this quote from Blashill:

I’ve, obviously, chosen other wingers ahead of him in the lineup, but that doesn’t mean I don’t have lots of belief in him.

Actually when you do it repeatedly, it kinda does.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Cool, a quote to the media about how he's not willing to try things his coach suggests.

Should make it easy to trade him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Jurco also said Blash is telling him he's playing good.

If that's true then what the **** kind of message is that sending the kid? "You're playing good hockey but you're just not producing so you're gonna sit. Sheahan? Ignore that."

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Don't fall into the trap of seeing smaller players appear to be skating harder just because they need to pump their legs twice as much as bigger guys with longer strides. Large players have been viewed as lazy and not giving full effort forever for this reason. Heck even Primeau back in the day was criticized for not giving full effort because bignguys don't churn their legs as fast as tiny dudes like 5'8" Conor Sheary. Jurco has plenty of issues but let's not be silly and say he's not skating hard just because his legs art chirningnlikensome midget with kids meal size strides is.

Fedorov too.

Maybe his body can't handle it even if he wanted to.

Which is the problem. Guy is blessed with good size and hands, he shouldn't use them both. He needs to use them both. When he does, he's an effective hockey player.

Pretty much. And part of what's really hurt us is that we've had Sheahan and Jurco come up, big guys, but they don't play big. We have enough 5'11'' guys who play to their size, we don't also need our 6'2'' guys playing like they are 5'11''.

I'm not even saying they have to go out and hit everything that moves, but take the body and go hard to the net. Yeah, I know Jurco was supposed to have some back issues, but I thought he had surgery over the summer that was supposed to fix that?
I think he simply is not built to play physical. His body can't take physical beating. He is no demolition man. Holmstrom and ciccarelli could do it, but people always wondered how they really managed it.
He has to produce if he fancy himself a skilled guy.
It's also worth noting that Jurco is listed as 6'2" and 188 lbs.

Yes he's somewhat tall but unless you're Wayne Simmonds you're not really a power forward at that weight.

Abdelkader, by comparison is also listed as 6'2" but has 30 lbs on Jurco.

Jurco has to stay healthy, then he might find his game and then he might produce.

People complain about Sheahan being in the lineup. I guess it is because we have been brutal on the faceoffs lately. We used to be very good.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Like I said in another thread, it's clear he has no future here and his value is at an all-time low. I doubt he'd return a worthy pick at this point.

I would not be opposed to KH trading him and Smith for a rental like what we saw with Jarnmark and Jarnkrok a few seasons ago. Bascally they all have something in common, none had/have any value what-so-ever and none of them had/have a future here.

May as well see if you can't make a deadline trade to possibly help keep the playoff streak alive.

Järnkrok is probably happy that he got traded.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->