Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA

Im still excited haha do not to me its nothing

noyphh.jpg

Reactions: Friday

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
What a great day for me. 1st day of spring, Daniel Bryan being cleared to wrestle, Thornton now skating. Now top it off with a Sharks victory tonight and a kings loss.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
When Thornton returns I hope they don't just decide to load up the 1st 2 lines. Have Thornton center the 3rd line with Meier and Labanc. This will give the Sharks 3 scoring lines which is the kind of depth you will need to beat teams like the Preds,Jets, and Pens.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
When Thornton returns I hope they don't just decide to load up the 1st 2 lines. Have Thornton center the 3rd line with Meier and Labanc. This will give the Sharks 3 scoring lines which is the kind of depth you will need to beat teams like the Preds,Jets, and Pens.
Problem is, that puts Tierney on the 4th line. I think he's too good for that role.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If Jumbo comes back he's not playing more than 12 mins a game and most of this time is going to be on the PP. I wouldn't worry about Tierney getting mins cut

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Problem is, that puts Tierney on the 4th line. I think he's too good for that role.

Yeah, they're not putting Tierney on the 4th line but I don't mind the idea of moving Tierney with Pavs and Donskoi and putting Kane and Meier with Thornton. You don't necessarily have to match lines or if one is getting smoked, you can move them around.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I expect Jumbo to return for the final 3 game homestand of the regular season. Possibly even sooner than that.

Nolan11

Mar 5, 2013
Yeah, they're not putting Tierney on the 4th line but I don't mind the idea of moving Tierney with Pavs and Donskoi and putting Kane and Meier with Thornton. You don't necessarily have to match lines or if one is getting smoked, you can move them around.
I'd leave Kane-Pavs-Donskoi line alone, move Tierney up with Couture and Hertl (shutdown line) and they team Thornton up with Meier and Boedkker.... Fourth line of Goodrow-Fehr-Labanc

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If Jumbo comes back he's not playing more than 12 mins a game and most of this time is going to be on the PP. I wouldn't worry about Tierney getting mins cut

He played 19 mins right off the bat last year with what people called a worse injury then this one.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Who knows how he'll be when he comes back, the more minutes he's capable of playing the better. It's a problem you want to have, deciding how to distribute minutes between 4 competent lines. If Jumbo is able I'm sure they'll play him to his ability but the team has shown it's mettle without him so no need to push.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I bin sayin. Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi, Couture-Thornton-Hertl, Meier-Tierney-Donskoi

But if Thornton is back before Donskoi (real possibility), we all know where Jumbo is going.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I bin sayin. Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi, Couture-Thornton-Hertl, Meier-Tierney-Donskoi

But if Thornton is back before Donskoi (real possibility), we all know where Jumbo is going.

We all know that Thornton is going to play with Kane and Pavelski if he comes back this season. It could be game 7 of the WCF in Winnipeg and Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi could have 5 goals each in that series and if Thornton returned for game 7, we would get Thornton on that first line.

It's unfortunate because I think that Donskoi is the guy that Pavelski low key relies on. I think he would still be good with Kane and Thornton but I love the look of Pavelski and Donskoi.

However, I would put Tierney and Meier with Thornton, and keep the Hertl-Couture-LaBanc line together. I know that it a little awkward on paper but Thornton and Tierney are two guys who have been better with Meier than they have been with anybody else this season. In my opinion, even if this line isn't completely optimal, it's sure as hell not going to struggle against the 3rd tier competition it will be facing. Thornton has never played against 3rd line competition in his time as a Shark.

In addition, Couture-Hertl-LaBanc as a shutdown unit are actually the best shutdown unit that we've had this season and the 3 of them do their best, possession wise, together.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
We all know that Thornton is going to play with Kane and Pavelski if he comes back this season. It could be game 7 of the WCF in Winnipeg and Kane-Pavelski-Donskoi could have 5 goals each in that series and if Thornton returned for game 7, we would get Thornton on that first line.

It's unfortunate because I think that Donskoi is the guy that Pavelski low key relies on. I think he would still be good with Kane and Thornton but I love the look of Pavelski and Donskoi.

However, I would put Tierney and Meier with Thornton, and keep the Hertl-Couture-LaBanc line together. I know that it a little awkward on paper but Thornton and Tierney are two guys who have been better with Meier than they have been with anybody else this season. In my opinion, even if this line isn't completely optimal, it's sure as hell not going to struggle against the 3rd tier competition it will be facing. Thornton has never played against 3rd line competition in his time as a Shark.

In addition, Couture-Hertl-LaBanc as a shutdown unit are actually the best shutdown unit that we've had this season and the 3 of them do their best, possession wise, together.

Pretty much calling thornton the 3rd line is just that calling it. Not many coaches would take that bait and allow thornton to eat apart lower competition. He would still be seieing hard match ups on the road and coaches would still be trying to shut his line down. And take the chances on the other 2 lines.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Pretty much calling thornton the 3rd line is just that calling it. Not many coaches would take that bait and allow thornton to eat apart lower competition. He would still be seieing hard match ups on the road and coaches would still be trying to shut his line down. And take the chances on the other 2 lines.

That's fine, Meier and Tierney with Thornton will do fine against top comp. Tierney tends to get eaten alive when playing against bigger centers but Thornton will be the center on that line and he won't get eaten alive in the same way. Meier has done great against top comp.

If teams are hard matching their top D pairings against Thornton, they won't be doing it against Pavelski's line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Labanc is not a shutdown line player, point blank. When he stops being a guy that DeBoer benches in tight games, then I’ll consider the idea of putting him on a shutdown line in the playoffs.

Meier-Tierney-Labanc works well together. I see no reason to break them up. They’re a top-tier third line. With a top-tier third line, we can afford to stack the top-6. Right now, the Couture/Hertl duo could use some help. Jumbo would fit perfectly there.

Reactions: Herschel

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Double shifting Donskoi is probably not the best idea though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad