Speculation: July1

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
Wouldn't Vanek be similar to signing that one guy who had no wheels left. Name escapes me atm. Brunette? Why would the Hawks do this again and put him with Toews even?

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Toews is overpaid by roughly 1.5 million. Same as Kane.

Neither of them are 10 million dollar players, and it's not a conclusion to be made based on one season's worth of play.

Not beyond declining shot generation year over year. The rest is my eye-test. He can't lose defenders in a step or two the way he could before, especially in the stop-start of a cycle. Harder for him to get clean shots off.

It could just be his hands have gone.

There are some people out there that track passing success rate, maybe I'll ask one of them what they numbers say on that end. If his hands have gone, we should see some decrease in his ability to pass and receive passes as well over the same period.

Just a quick update to this post. Here's some data from Blackhawks Breakdown on passing.

https://blackhawksbreakdown.wordpre...-the-playmaking-ability-of-chicagos-forwards/

https://blackhawksbreakdown.wordpre...chicago-forwards-part-2-attack-of-the-clones/

Hossa's passing ability was still strong last season. So I don't think the idea that his hands are just failing him, because if they were, his passing, puck handling, takeaways etc would be down too, and they're not dropping very much.

His individual shots totals have been dropping along with his shooting percentage though. To my eye, he's not able to create the time and space he was once be able to with an explosive first step or two. Defenders are staying with him.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Wouldn't Vanek be similar to signing that one guy who had no wheels left. Name escapes me atm. Brunette? Why would the Hawks do this again and put him with Toews even?

Andrew Brunette was close 40 when he signed with the Hawks. Vanek is 32. Just a couple years ago he was producing like a first line player. If he's willing to sign here for cheap, then why not? It's not like there will be huge pressure on him, he just needs to be 6th~7th best forward on this team.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Just a quick update to this post. Here's some data from Blackhawks Breakdown on passing.

https://blackhawksbreakdown.wordpre...-the-playmaking-ability-of-chicagos-forwards/

https://blackhawksbreakdown.wordpre...chicago-forwards-part-2-attack-of-the-clones/

Hossa's passing ability was still strong last season. So I don't think the idea that his hands are just failing him, because if they were, his passing, puck handling, takeaways etc would be down too, and they're not dropping very much.

His individual shots totals have been dropping along with his shooting percentage though. To my eye, he's not able to create the time and space he was once be able to with an explosive first step or two. Defenders are staying with him.

The data certainly confirm what most of us were saying during the season, that Toews' point totals were adversely affected by the inability of his line mates to convert on his passes. Add another 15 assists to his totals, and suddenly his production is on par with historical totals.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
But even if Toews gets back to :normal" with assists ...how does any other NHL team pay a $10.5 million cap hit to a "plateaued" 1C who never breaks 80 points? And hardly ever breaks 30 goals?

Fact is if he can not bring more production let alone e the drop-off last season for that huge pay cost..then quite simply an over-pay and not enough ROI ...no amount of intagibles is worth the extra $3.5-4 million overpay each year on that fat contract and it's cost to our cap allocation.It woukd help if he Tried harder..cause last season he gave us only about 6 good weeks out of an entire season..tge rest of tge games he was total Country Club.

Easton Modano Curve

Jun 19, 2013
Chicago

The speed of Sharp and Saad at LW created more space too. I think it's just a combination of age and his line not being as strong.

swerdnase

Jan 27, 2013
But even if Toews gets back to :normal" with assists ...how does any other NHL team pay a $10.5 million cap hit to a "plateaued" 1C who never breaks 80 points? And hardly ever breaks 30 goals?

Fact is if he can not bring more production let alone e the drop-off last season for that huge pay cost..then quite simply an over-pay and not enough ROI ...no amount of intagibles is worth the extra $3.5-4 million overpay each year on that fat contract and it's cost to our cap allocation.It woukd help if he Tried harder..cause last season he gave us only about 6 good weeks out of an entire season..tge rest of tge games he was total Country Club.

Wait, your think Toews is over paid by 3.5 - 4 million? Now I know you're drunk!

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
No Thank You!

That is exactly the opposite of what Stan should do. Being another player at deadline is only recipe for gutting our future even more

Get some talent in FA to address holes and use kids to shore up others (Rotating thru kids until someone shows something and sticks)

Stan did on July 1st exactly what I was hoping. Fill up the glaring obvious hole (Campbell) and sit back and wait for value forwards. If you can't find value bottom 6 forwards you wait till the regular season and trade for players. Your cap space only grows in value as the # of games played increases.

Let Schmaltz, Motte, Hartman, and Hinostrova prove to you that they can play during the 1st half of the season as you acquire players to fill holes during the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad